2017 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Something cool about former NHL guys now involved with medias is that they tend to talk a lot and have good stories.

Alain Chainey is one of them.  Former head scout with the Ducks  (responsible for Getz and Perry, among others).

Link is in French : http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/d1f75d0f-1aa0-4e35-a94c-072dab72132c|_0.html

Some cool stuff :

1- Getzlaf was 5th on their list.  Perry was 8th.  Around the 14th pick, the GM asked everyone if Getzlaf had some issues off the ice. Chainey told him that some night, he would take it a bit light, but he was young and would mature.  He was really nervous when the Caps went with their pick because their head scout was from Regina, same as Getz. They went with Erik Fehr...

2- Chainey insisted that Bryan Murray trade for a late 1st to scoop Perry.  They asked the Stars about two 2nd picks for their late 1st and they said that they would wait to see if their guy would still be there.  Good for the Ducks, their player got picked so they agreed to the trade.

3- Corey Perry and Ducks 1st pick in 2004 were traded to the Oilers for Mike Comrie.  The next day, traded was cancelled because Oilers wanted the Ducks to pay the 1M$ bonus to Comrie and they refused.

4- Erik Karlsson !!!!  2008, the Ducks owned the 12th pick.   All scouts were on Karlsson but the GM would not draft a small offensive dman.  They traded down to 18th just to get an extra 2nd rounder.  Sens traded up and scooped Karlsson.   When Chainey asked his Europe scout what he thought of Karlsson, he asked him to rate skills from 1 to 5.  His scout gave him  4.5/5 for skating, 4.5/5 for skills with the puck,  4/5 for his shot and when he asked for his Hockey IQ rating, the scout said  6/5. All they had to do was not trade down and just pick Karlsson with 12th.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Marian Hossa's playing days may be over - he's out for next season due to a skin disorder.

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/medical-update-on-marian-hossa/c-290029810

Does that mean that he won't count against the cap? Because I believe most of his salary has been paid out already and it would seem on the surface that he actually wants to retire but they are saying he can't play with this condition to get cap relief. 

I think Mario took too many shots to the head on that good friday game.... Only way I can explain Everything after ;)

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Does that mean that he won't count against the cap? Because I believe most of his salary has been paid out already and it would seem on the surface that he actually wants to retire but they are saying he can't play with this condition to get cap relief. 

No active player technically doesn't count against a cap, even those on LTIR.  The Hawks will be able to place him on LTIR and then exceed the cap by an amount up to Hossa's cap hit (depending on how tight they are when they place him there).  Semantics aside, the answer is basically yes.

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I forgot to start a thread for the NHL awards so I'll just post any relevant notes here.  Weber finished sixth in Norris voting.

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19275160_10154649980312197_5832015264439326064_n.png?oh=e3b130053e55fd75d6f124fd1a16b240&oe=59DF5947

Not sure why Karlsson didn't win. The guy was amazing this year. Burns also was but I sort of thought he should have won it in 16 over doughty. 

11 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Not sure why Karlsson didn't win. The guy was amazing this year. Burns also was but I sort of thought he should have won it in 16 over doughty. 

Karlsson didn't get 29 goals.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Burns was tops in points too. I just thought Karlsson had such a strong season on such a poor team, that more voters would go his way.

41 minutes ago, DON said:

Karlsson also killed doughty in points  last year. But last year the arguement was that Karlsson is a one dimensional dman, so they gave it to doughty.  Point a game dman to a guy with 51 points.

IMO Karlsson should have won it both years.  He is the best dman in the game by a wide margin.  

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Karlsson also killed doughty in points  last year. But last year the arguement was that Karlsson is a one dimensional dman, so they gave it to doughty.  Point a game dman to a guy with 51 points.

IMO Karlsson should have won it both years.  He is the best dman in the game by a wide margin.  

Obviously not.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I agree. I don't think anyone compares. 

51 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I agree. I don't think anyone compares. 

By his reply,  don would disagree with us

• Upvote 1

In 5 weeks since their owner took control of the team. He has fired. 

CEO

President of Hockey Operations

Coach

They have also said that the face of the franchise for 20 years is not getting a new contract offer, and traded the starting goalie.

Seems to me he didn't like what was happening when he was only part of the ownership team.

Guest Stogey24

I wish Habs Management would do something like that with all of their assistant coaches. 

New head coach, let's get an entire new group and system in place and get a clean slate. 

Instead Beregvin wants to keep his buddies on board. 

It's almost comical that lefebvre is keeping his job. Player development couldn't be any worse. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic