2017 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

5 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Hjalmarsson to Phoenix

Dauphin and Murphy to Chicago

Hawks are crippled by 21 million on 2 players. Just plain silly.

9 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Hjalmarsson to Phoenix

Dauphin and Murphy to Chicago

Chicago is busy. They are also starting to report that Panarin is headed to Columbus for Saad. Gotta be more to that puzzle that they still have to announce.

17 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

Chicago is busy. They are also starting to report that Panarin is headed to Columbus for Saad. Gotta be more to that puzzle that they still have to announce.

Done deal as per  HFboards Hawks section.

56 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Hawks are crippled by 21 million on 2 players. Just plain silly.

This doesn't really solve that a whole lot as Murphy's cap hit is pretty much the same as Hjalmarsson's.  This is more of a 'shake things up' move than anything, same with Panarin's trade (he and Saad have identical cap hits).  Chicago did add an intriguing young goalie though in Forsberg.

4 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Don't understand the CBJ/CHI deal on the Chicago side. Are they that high on Forsberg? Just doesn't make sense to me to make that deal and not gain any cap relief in the process.

Team control on Saad maybe?  Panarin's hitting unrestricted free agency at 27 (two years from now) and they weren't going to be able to afford to pay him more.  Saad has four years left on his deal.

Good Canadian boy, Methot, manages to block all 7 Canadian teams for trades  - putting Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal on his No Trade list, and he can't be moved back to Ottawa before January.

Very patriotic.

In case that finger doesn't heal, I have a particular finger to give him.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I would do it too. If I had the opportunity to make the same money and pay half the taxes. Good on him. 

Edmonton and Calgary are in the top 5 in the NHL for least taxes, but he has them on his list.

Meanwhile the California teams are not on his list.

Do You really think this is a tax thing?

15 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yea, makes you wonder how many years on Radulov, money isn't bad. I think they are similar ages. 

It's a very scary thought that Oshie got that since you would think Radulov would want something similar. Both 30 yearold wingers. The Caps will be paying Oshie till he's 38.

I would give more money to get the years off but I think it's starting to look more and more like Radulov won't be back if that's what the market is. 

36 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yea, makes you wonder how many years on Radulov, money isn't bad. I think they are similar ages. 

Pretty much - Oshie is about five months older.  That won't help Montreal's leverage in trying to get a shorter deal done (and I hope they have no interest in going that long for Radulov).

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Pretty much - Oshie is about five months older.  That won't help Montreal's leverage in trying to get a shorter deal done (and I hope they have no interest in going that long for Radulov).

Agreed.  That is an incredibly stupid trade and why I hate arbitration.  You end up having to pay for other team's stupidity.

if anything, the caps should be looking for another dominant centre.

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agreed.  That is an incredibly stupid trade and why I hate arbitration.  You end up having to pay for other team's stupidity.

if anything, the caps should be looking for another dominant centre.

Oshie's been with Washington for two years (pretty good trade too considering what Brouwer did this year) and this has nothing really to do with arbitration as he hasn't been eligible for arbitration since 2012.

As for looking for another dominant centre, they already have one of the best one-two punches in the league with Backstrom/Kuznetsov.  (Plus Eller as a 3C isn't that bad either.)

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Oshie's been with Washington for two years (pretty good trade too considering what Brouwer did this year) and this has nothing really to do with arbitration as he hasn't been eligible for arbitration since 2012.

As for looking for another dominant centre, they already have one of the best one-two punches in the league with Backstrom/Kuznetsov.  (Plus Eller as a 3C isn't that bad either.)

I don't mean that this contract will impact arbitration for others - I mean in general (his age group really isn't applicable for arbitration eligible players), when one GM throws money at a player stupidly and than other teams get screwed over in arbitration. 

I think they need a big dominant centre to go up against the pens.  Ellet is big, but I wouldn't call him dominant.  They could also use help on D with alzner going.  I just think it's stupid money and term to throw at oshie. He scored over 30 goals, but has health issues. A 4 or 5 year contract would have been ok - I think he will decline big time after the third year.  But another case of a GM being stupid.

Backstrom is pretty dominant and I wouldn't call him hugely undersized.

43 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Backstrom is pretty dominant and I wouldn't call him hugely undersized.

Backstom is a great centre, but the caps need someone who can help them get by their kryotonite (the pens).

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Edmonton and Calgary are in the top 5 in the NHL for least taxes, but he has them on his list.

Meanwhile the California teams are not on his list.

Do You really think this is a tax thing?

Are your numbers accurate to 2017? Trudeau 44% and Nutley bracket in Alberta must have evened the field with even the most communist states like new York and California. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic