2017 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Oh well, deep south USA is maybe what he really wanted...and he supposedly wanted no part of any Canadian city. So, out of spite and nationalism I hope Stars really suck for several more years! 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I get the feeling more he hates the Habs from playing in Ottawa and didn't want to go to Montreal. Similar to Gorges.

No, was noted (rumoured) he wanted to play with Dallas all along.

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have nothing but contempt for NHLers who don't want to play in passionate hockey markets. BOOOO.

He just got a raise by going from Ottawa to Dallas... due to taxes. 

My other site just released our top-50 free agents list for those who want to see what's out there.  (There are a few notable Montreal predictions in there too.  I didn't do the projections this year though.) https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/06/phrs-unrestricted-agents.html

I'll have a piece up on HW either tomorrow or Thursday taking a closer look at the defence market - not only the top players but mid-tier players as well as lesser-known pieces that could be options for two-way deals as Laval's left side is laughably pathetic at the moment (I don't think I've ever seen their depth as bad as it is there currently).

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He just got a raise by going from Ottawa to Dallas... due to taxes. 

Do you really think this is a tax thing?:P

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Entirely?  No. 

There can be more than one reason someone makes a decision, and it could be PART of the issue. 

Imo, he started with CBJ and could probably go about his business with his family and never get noticed. So he could have a life outside of being a hockey player. In Ottawa Im sure it was the complete opposite. Not everyone is PK wanting attention and spot light every second. If he wanted out of Canada entirely. Its the culture difference in regards to hockey players in society. Just my 2 cents.

29 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Imo, he started with CBJ and could probably go about his business with his family and never get noticed. So he could have a life outside of being a hockey player. In Ottawa Im sure it was the complete opposite. Not everyone is PK wanting attention and spot light every second. If he wanted out of Canada entirely. Its the culture difference in regards to hockey players in society. Just my 2 cents.

I agree that the fan attention is part of the equation too. 

It's being reported that mcdavid is going to get a $13.25m/yr for 8 years.  If that is the true number, I think this an ideal time to swoop down on Draisaitl.  Offer him $9.5m.  I can't see the oilers being able to afford spending close to $23m on two players.  

Last week Friedman was saying that he expected the of them to be signed for a combined hit of $19m - an amount he felt would make it difficult to maintain a contender with.  

• Upvote 1

McDavid's cap hit is the exact same percentage of the current cap as Crosby's was in 2007. 

One year later the Penguins gave an identical contract to Malkin. 

They won the cup.  The guy who had to go with the cap squeeze? Jordan Staal when his deal was up. 

The guy who will be traded eventually (if not this summer, but eventually), so that McDavid and Draisaitl can man the top two lines at big money?  The third line centre... Ryan Nugent Hopkins. 

22 hours ago, Commandant said:

Entirely?  No. 

There can be more than one reason someone makes a decision, and it could be PART of the issue. 

Was just a joke, I was simply teasing and quoting a certain poster from just a few posts ago.

5 minutes ago, Habsfan1989 said:

Why do I have this feeling of being scared of what Marc could do going into July 1st?

After what he did last June 29th, who knows.  Trade galchenyuk for a 2nd pairing dman?

20 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

After what he did last June 29th, who knows.  Trade galchenyuk for a 2nd pairing dman?

Yeah, nothing would surprise me. That said, in addition to the stupid Subban trade, he also pulled a Radu out of a hat and arguably made a good move getting Drouin, so who knows. It could be something asinine like Galy for Giroulx, or some striking move none of us are expecting. It's like being managed by The Joker.

• Upvote 1

The goalie carousel begins as Eddie Lack was dealt to Calgary (along with Ryan Murphy and a 7th) for Keenan Kanzig and a 6th; the Hurricanes also are eating half of Lack's salary.  If that's all Carolina could do to avoid buying him out, I think they'd have been better off buying him out.  Nice pickup for Calgary, a decent goalie and a young d-man for an over hyped former 3rd round pick.

34 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The goalie carousel begins as Eddie Lack was dealt to Calgary (along with Ryan Murphy and a 7th) for Keenan Kanzig and a 6th; the Hurricanes also are eating half of Lack's salary.  If that's all Carolina could do to avoid buying him out, I think they'd have been better off buying him out.  Nice pickup for Calgary, a decent goalie and a young d-man for an over hyped former 3rd round pick.

Kanzig was one huge junior kid, a Canadian version of Crankshaft.

1 hour ago, Habsfan1989 said:

Why do I have this feeling of being scared of what Marc could do going into July 1st?

Not sure.?:popcorn:

Was funny that somone bemused why Duchene hasn't moved when has been 'out there' since last year, but Sakic is still asking for too much and why a team that was one of worst ever hasn't made any deals. Then someone else noted "How did Sakic do in the O'Reily trade.", so may be a bit gun shy.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic