2017 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

56 minutes ago, Habsfan1989 said:

I am thinking more along the line of over paying for a has been player.

Alzner and bonino will probably overpaid by MB.  

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Alzner and bonino will probably overpaid by MB.  

They don't work for Montreal, how could he of overpaid them?

I don't get this Bonino talk. He hasn't has top-6 production since he left Anaheim. Is the idea that he is 'actually' a 2nd-line C, just buried behind Crosby and Malkin? Because Vancouver made a similar assumption and got rewarded with mediocre results. He's a good player, no question, but does this organization really need another third liner who *theoretically* could do top-6 duty? Wasn't that Shaw's job? 

Fer chrissakes, MB, go out and get a legitimate top-2 C, who can GENUINELY and not just theoretically generate some offence.

If we lose Galchenyuk, I'm fine with replacing him with Thornton and Marleau for a few years. Not that those two things coincide with one another. I'd also be fine with keeping Galchenyuk and acquiring Thornton. Thornton has definitely slowed down but he's still capable of being a top 6 center on a contending team.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

If we lose Galchenyuk, I'm fine with replacing him with Thornton and Marleau for a few years. Not that those two things coincide with one another. I'd also be fine with keeping Galchenyuk and acquiring Thornton. Thornton has definitely slowed down but he's still capable of being a top 6 center on a contending team.

Thornton' got maybe two years left in him and I think galchenyuk will outscore him next year.  This is exactly the type of move that sink franchises.

id be okay with bringing Thornton in on a 1 yr deal if we aren't able to get radulov on a reasonable contract and kept galchenyuk, but it's absurd to even consider replacing galchenyuk with a couple of 38 year olds.  That's exactly the type of moves franchises destined to be bottom feeders make.

if Thornton and Marleau weren't able to get a much deeper team over the hump last year, what makes you think they will be able to help us when they are a year older?

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Thornton' shot maybe two years left in him and I think galchenyuk will outscore him next year.  This is exactly the type of move that sink franchises.

id be okay with bringing Thornton in on a 1 yr deal if we aren't able to get radulov on a reasonable contract and kept galchenyuk, but it's absurd to even consider replacing galchenyuk with a couple of 38 year olds.  That's exactly the type of moves franchises destined to be bottom feeders make.

if Thornton and Marleau weren't able to get a much deeper team over the hump last year, what makes you think they will be able to help us when they are a year older?

I'm not saying trade Galchenyuk for them but if we lose Galchenyuk for a defender because it happened, not that I want it to, I would live with those two as replacements. We'd have a pretty deep team this year with those two as well.

Pacioretty-Drouin-Radulov

Marleau-Thornton-Gallagher

Byron-Plekanec-Lehkonen

Martinsen-Danault-Shaw

34 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Word is that Thornton is leaving San Jose because they won't give him a multi year deal. There's no one year Jumbo Joe deal. 

I know he won't sign a one year deal.  That's why i wouldn't sign him.  If the team he has been arguably the most important player in their history doesn't want to make a multi-year commitment to him, why should we?  

As as part of your due diligence, you offer him a year, but there's no way you give him more than that.

4 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I'm not saying trade Galchenyuk for them but if we lose Galchenyuk for a defender because it happened, not that I want it to, I would live with those two as replacements. We'd have a pretty deep team this year with those two as well.

Pacioretty-Drouin-Radulov

Marleau-Thornton-Gallagher

Byron-Plekanec-Lehkonen

Martinsen-Danault-Shaw

So even if we did make a dumb trade to move galchenyuk for a dman, would you be willing to give an almost washed up Thornton 3 years???  This is Daniel Briere all over again (except times two - Marleau is also on his last legs).

if they couldn't win with a superior Sharks team last year, what makes you think they would be better in Montreal?

We're forgetting that we need a top 6 center. Beggars can't be choosers. I'd rather acquire Thornton than leave it at the status quo. Patrick Marleau is also the model of consistency. He will score 25 goals this year and play 80+ games. He just always does. If part of the package includes getting such a consistent player and getting a presence at center, I'm all for it.

I've long agreed about the Sharks never winning with Thornton and Marleau at the core but they tasted it two seasons ago and lost to the same team that beat a popular team this season. If Montreal takes the east, Thornton and Marleau have shown they can compete with most teams in the West.

I don't think Thornton or Marleau have been linked to the Habs anyway and hopefully we keep Galchenyuk.

I can't see Jumbo Joke signing in Montreal. No offense to Quebecers, they certainly have a better hometown than Boca Raton, but San Jose is an incredible place to live. Doug Wilson made comments towards Marleau and Jumbo Joke to the effect of "we need players who want to do more than just live here." He's also had problems with the media in Boston, and I'm sure he doesn't want to end his career in a hotbed of scrutiny and expectations. He's going to a big name market, like most overrated free agents.

Top-3 Jumbo Joke Destinations

1. LA

2. Toronto (my guess)

3. NYC

With Chicago as a dark horse.

As Habs fans, we get Europeans and journeymen out of free agency. We can't compete with the US juggernauts. 

2 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I can't see Jumbo Joke signing in Montreal. No offense to Quebecers, they certainly have a better hometown than Boca Raton, but San Jose is an incredible place to live. Doug Wilson made comments towards Marleau and Jumbo Joke to the effect of "we need players who want to do more than just live here." He's also had problems with the media in Boston, and I'm sure he doesn't want to end his career in a hotbed of scrutiny and expectations. He's going to a big name market, like most overrated free agents.

Top-3 Jumbo Joke Destinations

1. LA

2. Toronto (my guess)

3. NYC

With Chicago as a dark horse.

As Habs fans, we get Europeans and journeymen out of free agency. We can't compete with the US juggernauts. 

You're probably right, but I agree with xXx on this. The Habs are an absolute comedy act at C (especially if they continue to waffle on Galy). Beggars can't be choosers. IF we can somehow add Joe or Marleau to the extant forward core on, say, a two-year deal, we should do it. By contrast, Radu and (this goes without saying) are more important to keep than Jumbo Joe is to add. But as additions to the core, either of those guys is fine by me.

Guest Stogey24

It's the shit contract that Plekanec has too... 6 million tied up in a 28pt player. 

Need to move that contract out desperately 

This is going to sound like I'm still pushing for it which I'm not unless it's realistic but if he goes to LA then there's no reason he shouldn't have wanted to come to Montreal at any point in his career. Sharks and the Kings have a rivalry equivalent on a relative scale to that of the Habs and the Bruins. LA vs Anaheim is more like Habs/Sens or Habs/Leafs.

After more than 10 years on this website, I'm not happy that my 1000th post is one that's discussing Joe Thornton coming to the Habs.

I'm going to make a wish now. :habslogo:

• Upvote 1

Today's the last day for buyouts and there's quite a few of them:

Ryan Murphy (CGY)

Lance Bouma (CGY)

Jimmy Hayes (BOS)

Jussi Jokinen (FLA)

Mike Cammalleri (NJ)

Devante Smith-Pelly (NJ)

Mark Stuart (WPG)

I could see Jokinen attracting some interest, he's only a year removed from a 60 point season.

9 minutes ago, huzer said:

So I guess we can officially call the DSP/Matteau trade a wash?

DSP is a bad NHL player.

Matteau is not an NHL player.

It's honestly one of the few examples of Bergevin not upgrading on his quick swap deals (obvious miss is obvious). He usually does. 

8 minutes ago, huzer said:

So I guess we can officially call the DSP/Matteau trade a wash?

Could it be called a win for Montreal that there's no lingering cap effects for the next two years for them?  I don't think that trade panned out like either team hoped or expected.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Could it be called a win for Montreal that there's no lingering cap effects for the next two years for them?  I don't think that trade panned out like either team hoped or expected.

Good point.

So the two year contract Markov is looking for has me wondering. Would we better off grabbing Del Zotto to fill Markov's minutes.

He should come at a reasonable cost as he's awfully injury prone. Maybe if he can dial back the physical play he can stay in the lineup a little more as he logs a ton of hits for a guy that size. Very strange career arc for somebody who just turned 27, I feel like he could be a good buy if somebody can get him for say 3 years at around 3.5- 4.0 mil per

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

This is going to sound like I'm still pushing for it which I'm not unless it's realistic but if he goes to LA then there's no reason he shouldn't have wanted to come to Montreal at any point in his career. Sharks and the Kings have a rivalry equivalent on a relative scale to that of the Habs and the Bruins. LA vs Anaheim is more like Habs/Sens or Habs/Leafs.

After more than 10 years on this website, I'm not happy that my 1000th post is one that's discussing Joe Thornton coming to the Habs.

I'm going to make a wish now. :habslogo:

But it's LA. Where would you want to live? Montreal, or La La Land? Keep in mind he has a wife.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic