2017 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

2 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I'm starting to get concerned about Markov, Galchenyuk, and Radulov. Zero signings. Is MB angling for a big fish? Or will he cut bait? 

If radulov is too much he will trade his rights by the end of the night and resign galchenyuk.

2 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

BHB on Jumbo Joke going to MTL:

"It's inconceivable."

Too bad. I'm really enjoying the moniker "Jumbo Joke."

I'm really hating it. Montreal would be quite happy to have a 50 point centerman this season.

And he's going to crack the top 20 in all-time points this season, so he's no joke.

51 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I'm really hating it. Montreal would be quite happy to have a 50 point centerman this season.

And he's going to crack the top 20 in all-time points this season, so he's no joke.

But right now, is there any difference between Joke and DD in his prime?

I just don't like the guy. I remember when I was in high school in Boston, there was a lot of (deserved) hype around Jumbo Joke. Saki Koivu ate him up in that series and he got traded the next year. Talk radio and the Boston media fed his ass to him the entire summer because he refused to talk to media after they lost. 

Joke is going to be like Marcel Dionne, another powder puff that never won a thing and is only remembered by locals and hardcore hockey fans. 

11 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I just don't like the guy. I remember when I was in high school in Boston, there was a lot of (deserved) hype around Jumbo Joke. Saki Koivu ate him up in that series and he got traded the next year. Talk radio and the Boston media fed his ass to him the entire summer because he refused to talk to media after they lost. 

Joke is going to be like Marcel Dionne, another powder puff that never won a thing and is only remembered by locals and hardcore hockey fans. 

No difference with DD? There is a big size difference for starters...

Id love to have a 6'4 DD in his prime on the habs any day.

I always hated Joe for two reasons:

- He punched a cop because he was arresting his brother and nothing happened to him for it because he's Joe Thornton.

- The game where Halak made like 40 saves and the Habs beat the Sharks and all Joe could do in the interview was talk about how much better the San Jose Sharks were, because his ego couldn't deal with the fact the team got beat by the goalie.

San Jose used to be my #2 team. Marleau was my favourite play for a while. Joe ruined that for me.

Him coming to Montreal would be proof Bergevin is trying to build a Habs team I want to hate.

1 hour ago, Habsfan1989 said:

Just wondering is Gomez off our books yet?

He has been off the books in terms of the cap for years.  His buyout was an amnesty one so there was no cap effect.  In terms of the actual payments, they were finished in 2014-15.

2 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I remember that series very well. Saku - who always was a stellar playoff performer - really did hand Joe his ass that series. If memory serves he did so with a cracked rib to boot.

I also recall Mike Cammalleri saying how he asked Thornton about Montreal prior to signing with us in 2010. Joe praised Markov as a 'stud' who could be relied on to feed Squid the puck on the PP.

As for the other things:

1. This team could definitely use DD in his prime. That's a viable, if one-dimensional, 2nd line C right there. So if we can add one, let's.

2. Marcel Dionne is remembered as an all-time great. If that's the company Joe's keeping, it ain't bad.

I totally get the idea that Jumbo Joe is a Jumbo Jerk - no argument there - but I'm not sure you can measure a player's worth by whether he's won a Cup. The aforementioned Koivu and Markov have had superb and distinguished careers without winning, for instance. Koivu in particular was deserving of a championship and would have been a key cog of a Cup run if he had been capably surrounded IMHO.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I remember that series very well. Saku - who always was a stellar playoff performer - really did hand Joe his ass that series. If memory serves he did so with a cracked rib to boot.

I also recall Mike Cammalleri saying how he asked Thornton about Montreal prior to signing with us in 2010. Joe praised Markov as a 'stud' who could be relied on to feed Squid the puck on the PP.

As for the other things:

1. This team could definitely use DD in his prime. That's a viable, if one-dimensional, 2nd line C right there.

2. Marcel Dionne is remembered as an all-time great. If that's the company Joe's keeping, it ain't bad.

I totally get the idea that Jumbo Joe is a Jumbo Jerk, but I'm not sure you can measure a player's worth by whether he's won a Cup. The aforementioned Koivu and Markov have had superb and distinguished careers without winning, for instance. 

Marcel was an all-time great and a true hall of famer. Bit of a tangent,  I do have problem with the watered down HOF, where just good players are in the HOF, either because they won a cup, or were part of a dynasty (i.e. Clark Gillis), or had great stats from playing in a time when it was easy to exceed the un-official 500 goals/1000 point criteria (Bernie Federko). 

WIth respect to Thornton, I don't really like him.  First of all he was a bruin, secondly he has always been a bit of a flake. But, I'd take him in a one year deal (which he would never do), but no way in hell do I sign the old man to anything lonber than that.  Regarding your point about Saku's broken ribs,  remember Cherry making up excused during the series that Thornton was hurt and him and others were using Thronton's broken ribs as an excuse.  It was only after that, kind of like passing reference, it was revealed that Koivu played through the series and dominated the bruins with broken ribs. 

One decision by Pollock and Dionne has multiple Cups while Lafleur has maybe a Cup. 

I don't blame any single player for not having a Cup ring. Cups are team achievements and I can't stand a player blamed for not winning with a team. 

I just don't like Joe the person. 

8 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

One decision by Pollock and Dionne has multiple Cups while Lafleur has maybe a Cup. 

I don't blame any single player for not having a Cup ring. Cups are team achievements and I can't stand a player blamed for not winning with a team. 

I just don't like Joe the person. 

You know him?

24 minutes ago, DON said:

So because of the bang up job Ramage  did as player development coach, he actually gets promoted as Director of player development???? Because of the great work Lapointe did as director of player development, he also gets promoted??  So essentially two guys that accomplished squat, get promoted instead of fired???  Really???

you gotta love how MB keeps his management team accountable!!!  But, the players really need to take accountability for the development and performance.  Is there a worse management team in the NHL outside of Phoenix, Vancouver and Phoenix??

Guest Stogey24
2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So because of the bang up job Ramage  did as player development coach, he actually gets promoted as Director of player development???? Because of the great work Lapointe did as director of player development, he also gets promoted??  So essentially two guys that accomplished squat, get promoted instead of fired???  Really???

you gotta love how MB keeps his management team accountable!!!  But, the players really need to take accountability for the development and performance.  Is there a worse management team in the NHL outside of Phoenix, Vancouver and Phoenix??

Such a joke. 

27 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Is there a worse management team in the NHL outside of Phoenix, Vancouver and Phoenix??

Actually, Van has been doing a reasonable job of stockpiling young players. MB outclasses Benning in terms of moves at the NHL level, but when it comes to development, I'd argue that Benning is proving vastly superior. Which is scary.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic