2017 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Is there a worse management team in the NHL outside of Phoenix, Vancouver and Phoenix??

Viola and the Computer Boys of West Point were much, much worse last year. Much worse. They did almost as much damage to the team and the prospect pool in a year than Rejean Houle in the mid-90s. That was some stupid shit even for the Panthers. Thankfully, Tallon is back in charge. Not kidding with the moniker. If you look at the backgrounds of Joyce, Werier, Caldwell, et al, they're analytics guys that went to West Point. Some of them have never been involved with hockey on any level. Tom Rowe is such a loser that they put an AHL winning streak in his biography on the Panthers site. We're a few clicks north of that level of stoopit.

1 hour ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Viola and the Computer Boys of West Point were much, much worse last year. Much worse. They did almost as much damage to the team and the prospect pool in a year than Rejean Houle in the mid-90s. That was some stupid shit even for the Panthers. Thankfully, Tallon is back in charge. Not kidding with the moniker. If you look at the backgrounds of Joyce, Werier, Caldwell, et al, they're analytics guys that went to West Point. Some of them have never been involved with hockey on any level. Tom Rowe is such a loser that they put an AHL winning streak in his biography on the Panthers site. We're a few clicks north of that level of stoopit.

I agree there were- but they already realized their stupidity and made the change.  Montreal on the other hand... 

7 minutes ago, DON said:

$8 to 9m left to spend, what will Bergevin do? Sign Markov and Jagr?:B)

The 4 names that have been coming up in my own mind are Jagr, Vanek, Markov & Brian Campbell. I expect to hear everyone tell me how Brian Campbell is washed up but he seemed to always be 1) A Left Handed Shot 2) Mobile and 3) A good puck distributor.

4 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The 4 names that have been coming up in my own mind are Jagr, Vanek, Markov & Brian Campbell. I expect to hear everyone tell me how Brian Campbell is washed up but he seemed to always be 1) A Left Handed Shot 2) Mobile and 3) A good puck distributor.

Vanek is unemployed is he? Wonder what he would cost and would he return to Montreal?

1 hour ago, DON said:

$8 to 9m left to spend, what will Bergevin do? Sign Markov and Jagr?:B)

Only about 7 left to spend.  The players who will make our roster are more expensive than the players cap geek has on the bottom of the roster. 

Habs will save 1.5 million for callups/deadline. 

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Campbell was terrible last season.  Chicago healthy scratched him or used him as a forward at times. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Campbell was terrible last season.  Chicago healthy scratched him or used him as a forward at times. 

Yep. If he had any use at all, the hawks would bring him back.

habing said that, given MB's penchant for ex-hawks, I could see him signing Campbell.

57 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Only about 7 left to spend.  The players who will make our roster are more expensive than the players cap geek has on the bottom of the roster. 

Habs will save 1.5 million for callups/deadline. 

Lots of room if you move Pleks.. I'd love a trade for RNH out of Edmonton

top 3 Cs as 

Galchenyuk (or Drouin?)

RNH,

Danault

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Lots of room if you move Pleks.. I'd love a trade for RNH out of Edmonton

top 3 Cs as 

Galchenyuk (or Drouin?)

RNH,

Danault

Pleks is an expiring contract.  His money will be Price and Danault's raises next year.

You could move him, but anyone you acquire with the additional money has to be on the final year of their contract too. 

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Pleks is an expiring contract.  His money will be Price and Danault's raises next year.

You could move him, but anyone you acquire with the additional money has to be on the final year of their contract too. 

Or you could trade Danault as well :) Funny how his name never comes up in trade talks for a nice return when he was played higher than Galchenyuk in the lineup last season.

Is our team overvaluing him as a player or does he actually have value throughout the league? I get the impression that he doesn't have much value throughout the league. At least not enough to replace what he brings to our squad specifically.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

IMO Shaw is the contract we really need to move to make cap room and use the cap space for a true top 6 forward or top pair D

19 hours ago, nihilz said:

When/how did the NYI get Sebastian Aho!?

Edit: Never mind. There are 2!

hahaha  wow. 

I wouldn't be that surprised if there were two Craig Smith,  but  two  Sébastian Aho !?!?!

11 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Or you could trade Danault as well :) Funny how his name never comes up in trade talks for a nice return when he was played higher than Galchenyuk in the lineup last season.

Is our team overvaluing him as a player or does he actually have value throughout the league? I get the impression that he doesn't have much value throughout the league. At least not enough to replace what he brings to our squad specifically.

ANY C has more value to the Habs than to any other team. -_-

Danault is a good 3rd-line C, but most teams - unlike us - are able to develop guys like that from within, so I doubt that he commands huge value on the market.

Habs29 is right that the Shaw contract (along with Pleks) is the real stinkeroo on this roster.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Habs29 is right that the Shaw contract (along with Pleks) is the real stinkeroo on this roster.

A lot of people have neglected that with the addition of Drouin, there's now no room for Shaw in the top 9, especially after signing Hemsky. 

LW: Pacioretty, Lehkonen, Byron

C: Danault, Plekanec 

RW: Gallagher, Hemsky 

F: Galchenyuk, Drouin, Shaw

Someone is going to the fourth line. Shaw makes the most sense. That's almost $4m on the fourth line.

26 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

A lot of people have neglected that with the addition of Drouin, there's now no room for Shaw in the top 9, especially after signing Hemsky. 

LW: Pacioretty, Lehkonen, Byron

C: Danault, Plekanec 

RW: Gallagher, Hemsky 

F: Galchenyuk, Drouin, Shaw

Someone is going to the fourth line. Shaw makes the most sense. That's almost $4m on the fourth line.

delaRose, Hudon & McCarron can make some people expendable. This is a good problem to have. But yes, I have a problem with Shaw penciled in on 4th line. This is why a trade has to happen. Bergevin's love of balance should motivate him. I would hope. Unless they see wing depth as a counterbalance to the lack of center depth.

Just noticed that Pierre Turgeon is now an assistant coach with LAK. He is not a guy that struck me as one that would gone into coaching!  But it was interesting reading the news release that Stevens wanted someone who complements the coaching staff by bringing the perspective of a high end player.  We brought Muller in last year, but other than that we've got a bunch of grunts as assistant and player development coaches.  Maybe, MB should take consider getting some different perspective on the habs staff.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Just noticed that Pierre Turgeon is now an assistant coach with LAK. He is not a guy that struck me as one that would gone into coaching!  But it was interesting reading the news release that Stevens wanted someone who complements the coaching staff by bringing the perspective of a high end player.  We brought Muller in last year, but other than that we've got a bunch of grunts as assistant and player development coaches.  Maybe, MB should take consider getting some different perspective on the habs staff.

Good point....for far too long this team has had personnel that seem to have fetishes for grinders and smurfs.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

At this point, this is the staff that he lives or dies by. 

20 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I was thinking the same a bit back but I was WAY out the box and thinking he should take a sales/collections training course to help get his target in trades (might help w/ contact negs too, who knows). He always been saying that trades are hard yet several teams have managed to get themselves a '#1C' in his tenure as Habs GM. Of the to of my head I am thinking of Dallas twice and Nashville. It is kinda easy for me to s*!* on MB but then again I am not privy to any of the close door happenings. I don't know what Ottawa would hv asked for Spezza or Boston for Seguin or Columbus for Johanson (sp?). None the less, I agree, something has to change in his approach to bringing the cup back home. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic