2017 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

28 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They have some good young talent but I don't trust their goaltending and the Sedins are clearly on the downswing.  And with the moves they're making, guys like Boeser and Goldobin could wind up in the minors to start which isn't a great idea.

Good call on the netminding, and I agree - they have some talent but seemed determined to bury it in the minors. I wonder if their determination to avoid the Edmonton model of disastrous veteran-less rebuild is pushing them too far in the opposite direction - as you'd expect from an organization of hidebound dummies.

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good call on the netminding, and I agree - they have some talent but seemed determined to bury it in the minors. I wonder if their determination to avoid the Edmonton model of disastrous veteran-less rebuild is pushing them too far in the opposite direction - as you'd expect from an organization of hidebound dummies.

I think management (or, more likely, ownership) thinks they're only a few decent pieces away from being a playoff threat, hence the additions of guys like Del Zotto, Vanek, and Gagner to try to get them a few more points in the standings.  But the time for moves like that is a couple of years from now as a supporting cast to a somewhat established but still developing core (Boeser, Horvat, Goldobin, etc). 

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I think management (or, more likely, ownership) thinks they're only a few decent pieces away from being a playoff threat, hence the additions of guys like Del Zotto, Vanek, and Gagner to try to get them a few more points in the standings.  But the time for moves like that is a couple of years from now as a supporting cast to a somewhat established but still developing core (Boeser, Horvat, Goldobin, etc). 

Delirium. 

I get that they want the sedin' s there to mentor young players, but at some point they need to liquidate assets 

I don't think Duchene was the only one missing - it's optional skates at this point so I wouldn't read too much into that.

An interesting rule change has been announced - a failed offside challenge this season will not only result in losing a timeout but also will cost the team a delay of game penalty.

Guest Stogey24

“Nobody has to be here, but it’s a tradition that everybody gets in early, shows up (for captain’s skates) and is excited to get going,” Landeskog said. “For whatever reason, (Duchene is) not here. But I know everybody that’s here right now — we’re all excited to be part of this team and we’re all excited to get going with the season. Ultimately, we all want to figure out a solution to this problem — that’s what we’re really excited about, and what we’re looking to do.”

Sound the drums...

31 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

“Nobody has to be here, but it’s a tradition that everybody gets in early, shows up (for captain’s skates) and is excited to get going,” Landeskog said. “For whatever reason, (Duchene is) not here. But I know everybody that’s here right now — we’re all excited to be part of this team and we’re all excited to get going with the season. Ultimately, we all want to figure out a solution to this problem — that’s what we’re really excited about, and what we’re looking to do.”

Sound the drums...

33 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

It's still an optional skate.  The Habs are holding one this week too - every team has something like this - but not everyone participates and it's not a big deal if someone doesn't show up.  In Duchene's case, it's probably a smart move considering the media circus that would arise if he were to actually be there. 

If Duchene isn't there next week when actual training camp opens, then it's something to take note of.  A player choosing to skate on his own at home in early September isn't anything all that significant though, even if he typically shows up early.

Guest Stogey24

Now, it seems possible Duchene’s relationship with the Avalanche may not heal with the benefit of a long summer. When asked Tuesday night by TSN whether Duchene planned to report to Avalanche training camp, Duchene’s agent - Pat Brisson of CAA Sports - responded: “All I want to say is, for the moment Matt is skating in Toronto.”

Nothing there is particularly surprising - it came out last week that they were still holding out hope that a trade would be reached by the start of camp and that they hadn't yet thought about whether he'd consider not reporting if he isn't dealt by then.  (Now it sounds like that could happen.)  But unless Sakic wants to lower the asking price to something that doesn't see Colorado yield the best two pieces of any potential return, nothing is going to change.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

It's still an optional skate.  The Habs are holding one this week too - every team has something like this - but not everyone participates and it's not a big deal if someone doesn't show up.  In Duchene's case, it's probably a smart move considering the media circus that would arise if he were to actually be there. 

If Duchene isn't there next week when actual training camp opens, then it's something to take note of.  A player choosing to skate on his own at home in early September isn't anything all that significant though, even if he typically shows up early.

MacKinnon and Zadorov skipped as well...but both for good reasons.

Guest Stogey24
41 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Nothing there is particularly surprising - it came out last week that they were still holding out hope that a trade would be reached by the start of camp and that they hadn't yet thought about whether he'd consider not reporting if he isn't dealt by then.  (Now it sounds like that could happen.)  But unless Sakic wants to lower the asking price to something that doesn't see Colorado yield the best two pieces of any potential return, nothing is going to change.

Ya, Sakic seems pretty set on the moon for a price tag 

On 2017-09-07 at 0:20 PM, JoeLassister said:

George Parros  to replace Stephane Quintal as Director of Player Safety.

Interesting choice.

Hire the expert! Parros is a bright guy. Good hire.

Amalie arena in TB might be f'd.

16 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Hire the expert! Parros is a bright guy. Good hire.

Amalie arena in TB might be f'd.

Mayeb will need to "temporarily" relocate to QC for the season. Quebec Lightning has a ring to it (not really but bring on a good rivalry once more)

I purchased NHL 18 today, won my first and only game against the Leafs and am now optimistic about the season. :P

I'm always interested in how the lineups are configured in the game even though they are sure to be off the mark. 

Pacioretty-Drouin-Gallagher

Galchenyuk-Danault-Hemsky

Byron-Plekanec-Shaw

Lehkonen-Martinsen-Mitchell

Alzner-Weber

Benn-Petry

Davidson-Schlemko

Price

...is how they have it setup.

Lehkonen is always the one placed further down the lineup because his rating isn't very high.

Although it's not the lineup I'd use myself, the only thing I switched was replacing Davidson with a scratched Streit. Hudon, McCaron, DeLarose were all MIA as possibilities at this early juncture in the year. 

14 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I purchased NHL 18 today, won my first and only game against the Leafs and am now optimistic about the season. :P

I'm always interested in how the lineups are configured in the game even though they are sure to be off the mark. 

Pacioretty-Drouin-Gallagher

Galchenyuk-Danault-Hemsky

Byron-Plekanec-Shaw

Lehkonen-Martinsen-Mitchell

Alzner-Weber

Benn-Petry

Davidson-Schlemko

Price

...is how they have it setup.

Lehkonen is always the one placed further down the lineup because his rating isn't very high.

Although it's not the lineup I'd use myself, the only thing I switched was replacing Davidson with a scratched Streit. Hudon, McCaron, DeLarose were all MIA as possibilities at this early juncture in the year. 

I like that defence corps EXCEPT for the appallingly bad third pairing, which would be about -176 by the end of the season.

I'm going to the Habs knights game in Vegas in Feb. Holy expensive. I thought it would be a good choice because of cheap flights and hotel, but the seats are a fortune. 300+ for bowl seats. Just as much as a Canadian arena. 

In the "crazy ideas that will never happen" department, I'd like to see the Habs make an offer on Jordan Subban. The Canucks clearly do not like him, and he'll probably never be more than a #5 guy (if he even makes the NHL), but he can score, skate, and move the puck. The size and defensive awareness of our blueline might make it possible to carry a small, young offensive defenceman with some holes in his game - something Van is reluctant to do because they already have Troy Stecher. 16 goals in 65 games and an AHL all-star berth last year. Given the dearth of puck-movers on the team, and the potential value of a secondary PP bomb after Weber's, I'd consider lobbing a 4th rounder Van's way. But like I say, it'll never happen...if only because of his last name.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Bergevin only want his home boys for his management team. No greats aloud 

Kirk Muller might be a point for the defence, but on the whole I think you've called it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Bergevin only want his home boys for his management team. No greats aloud 

What JJ Daigneult isn't an all time great dman and even better assistant coach????

Just because Robinson is in the hall of fame, won multiple cups and Norris as a player and than won multiple cups as a coach/assistant coach doesn't mean he is a better choice than bergevins bum buddy does it?

39 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What JJ Daigneult isn't an all time great dman and even better assistant coach????

Just because Robinson is in the hall of fame, won multiple cups and Norris as a player and than won multiple cups as a coach/assistant coach doesn't mean he is a better choice than bergevins bum buddy does it?

JJ Daigneault vs Robinson is a moot point.  Robinson wants to spend a lot of time in Florida, at his home.  He doesn't want to be an assistant coach. 

Note his role in St. Louis isn't as an assistant coach, its as a consultant, meaning he will work from home and fly in for a few days or a week at a time and then go back home.  He's not full-time on the road with the team.  If he wanted to be a full-time assistant he wouldn't have left San Jose. 

While I'm no fan of Daigneault, there was no possibility of canning him and hiring Robinson.  Robinson doesn't want that job.  (I'd still replace Daigneault with someone else though). 

• Like 1

• dlbalr unpinned this topic