Jonathan Drouin is a Hab. Mikhail Sergachev is not. 2018 conditional picks exchanged.

Commandant

Just now, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If this leads to Pacioretty being shipped out for a centre I'll give full marks to Bergevin.

PLEASE!

Is there someway we can convince Edmonton to take him for Draisatl?

Love drouin hate the trade.  We need to protect an additional player, yzerman gains a blue chipper who will be in his lineup - probably top pairing by the end of the year - without having to protect sergechev.

This could be good if he was going to play with galchenyuk l, but i think galchenyuk is as good as gone now

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

Love drouin hate the trade.  We need to protect an additional player, yzerman gains a blue chipper who will be in his lineup - probably top pairing by the end of the year - without having to protect sergechev.

This could be good if he was going to play with galchenyuk l, but i think galchenyuk is as good as gone now

So now we don't protect Shaw or Hudon. 

Meh. 

3 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If this leads to Pacioretty being shipped out for a centre I'll give full marks to Bergevin.

Even if the centre is stephan?

3 minutes ago, kaos said:

If Pacioretty and Drouin are top two leftwingera where does Galchenyuk fit in? 

On a line next to Landeskog or Mackinnon of course.

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I agree I hope this means Pleky is gone. 

I don't think we are in on Jumbo

I think we'll be in on Bonino or Anisimov. 

Is any of these 2 good defensively ?  What about Marleau ?

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

So now we don't protect Shaw or Hudon. 

Meh. 

I hope it's Shaw and we trade emelin and pleks

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No Derailing threads with talk of management. Even if its to sarcastically defend them. 

It's annoying eh? 

Except that the difference here is that Bergevin just made the trade, thus, it is relevant to the topic of discussion. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Is any of these 2 good defensively ?  What about Marleau ?

Both Anisimov and Bonino are good defensively. 

Marleau hasn't played centre in about 6 years. 

Thornton isn't really a centre either. ...  He takes half the faceoffs (Pavelski takes the other half) on his line, but the last two years, Pavelski is playing centre. 

Commandant is right that all we have to do is not protect Shaw, but is MB really going to expose his big free agent acquisition? That's the question. More likely Byron is gonzo.

Expansion draft issues aside, I like the trade. Sergachev is a great future asset, and would have been a real key to our D-corps in 2-3 years, but that's the point. This team is ALL IN, right now. It has to win within its 3-4 year window. Drouin helps to address the most glaring weakness - scoring.

That's looking at the team as it is right now. This trade makes us significantly better. The question is whether this now means that Galy is gone. It doesn't have to mean that, since Galy can be used at C, eliminating the 'problem' of all those good scoring wingers. But it probably does. In which case, this trade won't boost our offence as much as it might have had we kept Galy (we'd basically be swapping Galy for Drouin up front, and adding a Stepan) - unless we get full offensive value back for Galchenyuk, which is unlikely.

If, then, this trade means Segy for Drouin + galchenyuk for (say) Stepan, then it's an overall short-term improvement, but as clear-cut a short term win as this deal is right now. And at that point I like the deal a lot less. It would amount to trading Sergachev for Stepan (since Galy and Drouin cancel each other out offensively).

Much depends on the moves of the next few days.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Commandant is right that all we have to do is not protect Shaw, but is MB really going to expose his big free agent acquisition? That's the question. More likely Byron is gonzo

Minnesota will be exposing Eric Staal because they know Vegas will take one of their available defencemen instead.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Commandant is right that all we have to do is not protect Shaw, but is MB really going to expose his big free agent acquisition? That's the question. More likely Byron is gonzo.

Expansion draft issues aside, I like the trade. Sergachev is a great future asset, and would have been a real key to our D-corps in 2-3 years, but that's the point. This team is ALL IN, right now. It has to win within its 3-4 year window. Drouin helps to address the most glaring weakness - scoring.

That's looking at the team as it is right now. This trade makes us significantly better. The question is whether this now means that Galy is gone. It doesn't have to mean that, since Galy can be used at C, eliminating the 'problem' of all those good scoring wingers. But it probably does. In which case, this trade won't boost our offence as much as it might have had we kept Galy (we'd basically be swapping Galy for Drouin up front, and adding a Stepan) - unless we get full offensive value back for Galchenyuk, which is unlikely.

If, then, this trade means Segy for Drouin + galchenyuk for (say) Stepan, then it's an overall short-term improvement, but as clear-cut a short term win as this deal is right now. And at that point I like the deal a lot less. It would amount to trading Sergachev for Stepan (since Galy and Drouin cancel each other out offensively).

It won't be Byron. 

It would be Hudon. 

Patches, Chucky, Drouin, Danault, Byron, Gallagher is 6

Shaw vs Hudon for 7. 

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Picking up Drouin makes this trade very good We addressed a need, offence, trading Galchenyuk now makes no sense to me. We would lose that one.