Jonathan Drouin is a Hab. Mikhail Sergachev is not. 2018 conditional picks exchanged.

Commandant

Just now, Commandant said:

It won't be Byron. 

It would be Hudon. 

Patches, Chucky, Drouin, Danault, Byron, Gallagher is 6

Shaw vs Hudon for 7. 

Oh. Well, then, nothing to worry about on that front. Thanks.

Just now, habs rule said:

Picking up Drouin makes this trade very good We addressed a need, offence, trading Galchenyuk now makes no sense to me. We would lose that one.

My point, much more pithily expressed. If our FW corps next year includes Drouin, Galy, Radu, Patches, etc., then it still has a donut on the second line, but should be dangerous all the same.

I really hope we keep Galchenyuk... him and Drouin are about same age and would be our future offensive core to build around.

I hope no bridge deals for them. Sign them both to 8-year deals now.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My point, much more pithily expressed. If our FW corps next year includes Drouin, Galy, Radu, Patches, etc., then it still has a donut on the second line, but should be dangerous all the same.

Yeah i gotcha, having Drouin excites me. Can we find some more offence and less 4th liners?

3 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Yeah i gotcha, having Drouin excites me. Can we find some more offence and less 4th liners?

Yep, I'm happy to lose Sergy IF it means a roster with both Galy and Drouin. Some great young firepower right there.

Guest Stogey24
45 minutes ago, Commandant said:

So now we don't protect Shaw or Hudon. 

Meh. 

I hope it's Shaw that is left unprotected 

I like the trade but it certainly stings. Sergachev is going to be a gem but it certainly helps our offence having Drouin. I sure hope this doesn't mean that Galchenyuk is on his way out. It could also be a move that takes away Galchenyuk's safety blanket since he would have to be center since he wont play on the left side ahead of Patches and Drouin. You still need to sign Radulov or else this trade doesn't look as good. 

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov

Drouin - (FA/Danault/Anisimov) - Gallagher

Does this make Lehkonen a tradeable asset (I hope not)? Many teams would be interested in him as a return if we need to make a trade. 

Also we were all penciling in Sergachev for our D next year. I hope he plays 40 for the Lightning next year. Does this allow us to keep Beaulieu for help on the left side?

Pacioretty

Drouin

Lehkonen

Galchenyuk??

That left side is stacked, something has to give. Either a trade involving Pacioretty or Galchenyuk for a center or if Galchenyuk can make the permanent move to center. To me now what makes the most sense is trading Pacioretty as much as I hate to admit it. He is a pretty huge bargaining chip and could fetch a top 6 center. I have alot of faith in Lehkonen being a top 6 winger so I'd be more comfortable moving our Captain. Something like:

Drouin         Galchenyuk          Radulov

Lehkonen    Duchene              Gallagher

2 minutes ago, illWill said:

Pacioretty

Drouin

Lehkonen

Galchenyuk??

That left side is stacked, something has to give.

Drouin played centre in some of the last Lightning games with Stamkos out. That said, he usually plays right wing.

So you're more looking at

Drouin

Gallagher

Shaw 

(Radulov un signed)

42 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Commandant is right that all we have to do is not protect Shaw, but is MB really going to expose his big free agent acquisition? That's the question. More likely Byron is gonzo.

Expansion draft issues aside, I like the trade. Sergachev is a great future asset, and would have been a real key to our D-corps in 2-3 years, but that's the point. This team is ALL IN, right now. It has to win within its 3-4 year window. Drouin helps to address the most glaring weakness - scoring.

That's looking at the team as it is right now. This trade makes us significantly better. The question is whether this now means that Galy is gone. It doesn't have to mean that, since Galy can be used at C, eliminating the 'problem' of all those good scoring wingers. But it probably does. In which case, this trade won't boost our offence as much as it might have had we kept Galy (we'd basically be swapping Galy for Drouin up front, and adding a Stepan) - unless we get full offensive value back for Galchenyuk, which is unlikely.

If, then, this trade means Segy for Drouin + galchenyuk for (say) Stepan, then it's an overall short-term improvement, but as clear-cut a short term win as this deal is right now. And at that point I like the deal a lot less. It would amount to trading Sergachev for Stepan (since Galy and Drouin cancel each other out offensively).

Much depends on the moves of the next few days.

I'm still leary abou this trade.  At least its not McDonough for an old GOmez, but there are two guys I didn't want to lose - Galchenyuk and Sergechev.  I don't think we are good enough now.  Even with this trade, there are still a lot of questions that need to be addressed.  Are defence was lousy last year and we don't score.  We just traded someone who could have helped the defence next year.  I'm still not sold on how much better the offense is.  if Radulov doesn't come back, are we better?  If Galchenyuk is traded for a guy like Stephan (another declining asset) are really going to be much better?

42 minutes ago, Commandant said:

It won't be Byron. 

It would be Hudon. 

Patches, Chucky, Drouin, Danault, Byron, Gallagher is 6

Shaw vs Hudon for 7. 

As much as I hope its shaw, it hghly doubt it.  He is the guy that will get us through the playoffs.

42 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Picking up Drouin makes this trade very good We addressed a need, offence, trading Galchenyuk now makes no sense to me. We would lose that one.

kinda like the deal last year....

40 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

I really hope we keep Galchenyuk... him and Drouin are about same age and would be our future offensive core to build around.

I hope no bridge deals for them. Sign them both to 8-year deals now.

MB would get some credibility in my eyes if he did that.

14 minutes ago, Chris said:

I don't know much about Drouin, i think losing Sergachev is a big deal, I'm not sure if i like the deal. 

They better acquire some D who can skate, 

That's my biggest concern.  We need a puck mover on the top pairing.

1 minute ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Pacioretty, Drouin, Danault, Gallagher, Shaw, Hudon, Byron 

Weber, Petry, Brodin

Price

(you heard it here first)

IF all they get for Galcheynyuk is Brodin, we are not any better off than last year.

23 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'm still leary abou this trade.  At least its not McDonough for an old GOmez, but there are two guys I didn't want to lose - Galchenyuk and Sergechev.  I don't think we are good enough now.  Even with this trade, there are still a lot of questions that need to be addressed.  Are defence was lousy last year and we don't score.  We just traded someone who could have helped the defence next year.  I'm still not sold on how much better the offense is.  if Radulov doesn't come back, are we better?  If Galchenyuk is traded for a guy like Stephan (another declining asset) are really going to be much better?

Everything I said above is predicated on ADDING Drouin to the existing FW corps. If we lose Radulov, then all we've done is shore up that loss at the cost of Sergachev - a terrible idea.

And I agree with you that the D needs help and Sergy could have been part of the solution. But IF we keep Radu and Galy, THEN this trade represents significant improvement relative to last season.