Jonathan Drouin is a Hab. Mikhail Sergachev is not. 2018 conditional picks exchanged.

Commandant

I'm hesitant.

I really like Drouin. Defended him a bunch here. I think he's a superstar. I also think Sergachev is a year away from the NHL, and three years from being relied upon. This team needed firepower and Drouin provides it.

What irks me is that this is another example of Bergevin saying a player wouldn't be traded and then trading said player. Galchenyuk will be the third time that happened if Campbell and McKenzie are right. It's almost the kiss of death for a player. 

We'll find out in 15 minutes but at this point I wouldn't be shocked to see Drouin go straight to an eight year contract and hear Bergevin talk him up as the team's number one centre. He took around 200 faceoffs at 46% but the idea of the Habs converting him to centre, I would not be surprised one bit. And they will be patient with him getting there. 

Guess that part leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Otherwise I think this is a great trade. Stack the offence. Price will shut the door.

I expect that Bergevin will swing a deal to ensure Vegas takes Plex. They get an asset and a serviceable player to teach their young guys to be professionals and we get precious cap relief. Win-win

I would love to see Drouin and Galchenyuk play together.  In my opinion this is the exact kind of player Galchenyuk needs to play with.   Please Please Please keep them both.

• Upvote 1

Good thing there were 4 pages to read while I processed this. This trade bothered me when I read the headline but I do like Drouin and I hope he can make me feel fine about the move. I also hope I've been overrating Sergachev in my mind this  whole time which would make this a lot easier to swallow. 

I agree that that we now need to focus on acquiring a puck moving defenseman a la longterm and hopefully it does not come at the cost of Galchenyuk.

Just now, Dalhabs said:

Actively shopping Galchenyuk... :(

if he is trying to trade Chucky I am also sure he will not get fair value.

Let him stay a hab Marky...

They are going to give Drouin everything they forced Galchenyuk to fight tooth and nail for.

Chuck will be traded as a distant memory.

24 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

They are going to give Drouin everything they forced Galchenyuk to fight tooth and nail for.

Chuck will be traded as a distant memory.

That is a great frigging contract for Drouin. THAT is cap management.

I don't get this Drouin to C stuff. Is he a natural C? If not, then why are we so convinced he'll be defensively better than Galy in that role? And if he is, then why are we shopping Galy? Why not leave him at wing? 

Puzzling

Drouin 6 years, 5.5 a year. THIS is a deal I can look forward to. Drouin could seriously put up 70 next year. What does this mean for Chucky. I'm very intrigued. 

I'll very disappointed if we trade him for anything less than Drouin calibre

38 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I think Radulov will resign.

Also this shows Price that we are in win now mode by getting an exceptional talent for our promising prospect. 

I might be wrong about Radulov.

Looks like the Habs are not happy with what he is currently asking for, he needs to come down or it's a no go.

I hope Yzerman was reading my posts about Sergachev when he was pondering what a good return for Drouin would be.

2 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I might be wrong about Radulov.

Looks like the Habs are not happy with what he is currently asking for, he needs to come down or it's a no go.

I get the feelings it's actually term that's the issue, not cap hit.

my thoughts are rads looking for 6x6 area, and MB wants 6x3 years

2 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I get the feelings it's actually term that's the issue, not cap hit.

my thoughts are rads looking for 6x6 area, and MB wants 6x3 years

It is term. Hopefully they can come to an agreement. As a fan, I want Radulov for the next 6 anyway. 

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't get this Drouin to C stuff. Is he a natural C? If not, then why are we so convinced he'll be defensively better than Galy in that role? And if he is, then why are we shopping Galy? Why not leave him at wing? 

Puzzling

not really.  He doesn't have the CHaracter that MB wants and in MB's eye's he isn't the type of player that gets you through the playoffs.

46 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I also hope I've been overrating Sergachev in my mind this  whole time which would make this a lot easier to swallow 

I actually had a bad feeling about Sergachev the whole time and I hope for all of our sake that I was right 

That wasn't exactly a firm denial of shopping Chucky in the presser.  Potentially...Drouin in, Radulov and Chucky out. If the return for Chucky is D, there better be a magic hat somewhere to pull some offense out of. I know that's a lot of speculation, but it doesn't seem that far out of the realm of possibility. 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

What irks me is that this is another example of Bergevin saying a player wouldn't be traded and then trading said player. Galchenyuk will be the third time that happened if Campbell and McKenzie are right. It's almost the kiss of death for a player.

I don't remember the exact quote but didn't Bergevin say at the trade deadline presser that he wouldn't move a top prospect (ie, Sergachev) for a short-term fix?  With a six year deal, Drouin is hardly a short-term fix.  (Or was there a presser after that where he said he wasn't moving Sergachev?)

42 minutes ago, huzer said:

That wasn't exactly a firm denial of shopping Chucky in the presser.  Potentially...Drouin in, Radulov and Chucky out. If the return for Chucky is D, there better be a magic hat somewhere to pull some offense out of. I know that's a lot of speculation, but it doesn't seem that far out of the realm of possibility. 

He has to sign Radulov. The team you describe will be worse overall than the garbage that crapped out against the Rags.

However, if we were to trade Chucky for a puck-moving top-2 d-man, you might be surprised at the offensive dividends. Defencemen can be huge generators of offence.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Puzzling

Is he a natural C... Depends how you define that. 

Growing up to the age of 16, played C.

half a season at 16, full season at 17, played wing with Nathan MacKinnon at C.
At 18, MacKinnon to NHL... Drouin at C in Halifax. 

Went to NHL, played mostly W, but got shifted to C from time to time. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Is he a natural C... Depends how you define that. 

Growing up to the age of 16, played C.

half a season at 16, full season at 17, played wing with Nathan MacKinnon at C.
At 18, MacKinnon to NHL... Drouin at C in Halifax. 

Went to NHL, played mostly W, but got shifted to C from time to time. 

Sounds like Galchenyuk.

What about Galy for Jonas Brodin? That's the hot rumour. Is that a terrible move? 

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I actually had a bad feeling about Sergachev the whole time and I hope for all of our sake that I was right 

Some scouting 'expert' on Vancouver radio compared him to Malakhov. Let's hope that's right

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sounds like Galchenyuk.

What about Galy for Jonas Brodin? That's the hot rumour. Is that a terrible move? 

I'd target Granlund and Brodin

Galy + whatever