Jonathan Drouin is a Hab. Mikhail Sergachev is not. 2018 conditional picks exchanged.

Commandant

30 minutes ago, DON said:

Can they really afford to pay up for Drouin, Galchenyuk and Radulov and potentially also add a centre & a top 4 d-man? Markov, Plekanec, Emelin likely being gone next year, could free up enough $ to also sign #31 to his huge deal, but maybe a good question for those who know about that cap stuff (commandant/dlbalr).

Totally valid question. That said, this team has to win within 3-4 years, and the cap cannot be an excuse for icing a non-contender. Bergevin has to find a way to deliver on the situation he himself created.

43 minutes ago, DON said:

Can they really afford to pay up for Drouin, Galchenyuk and Radulov and potentially also add a centre & a top 4 d-man? Markov, Plekanec, Emelin likely being gone next year, could free up enough $ to also sign #31 to his huge deal, but maybe a good question for those who know about that cap stuff (commandant/dlbalr).

Honestly at this point I think we are all in already and we should sign whatever offense we can. Ride the mediocre defense that we have and try to win right now. Pay Price, sign Radu, empty the almost barren cupboard and if Vegas takes Plex then pick up what you can. Throw everything into the fire and burn it to win now. Then we rebuild.

The other option is the slow and steady as she goes and we will be a middling team for years to come.

2 hours ago, DON said:

I'd move picks to vegas to take and trade for Emelin amd pleks.  That frees up the cash.  I'd also move an overpaid bum like Shaw before I even considered moving Galchenyuk.  The guy who was supposed to get us through the playoffs did squat and the distraction we moved took his team to the finals.

amd before you say why would vegas want them, vegas can double dip on pick by moving them for more picks at the deadly

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We will have to wait and see if this is a good trade or not.

If this means that MB doesn't sign Radulov then it's a bust.

If this means that Drouin replaces Galchenyuk then it's a bust.

If we trade Galchenyuk for a defenseman then this trade is dumb. Sergachev would have had an impact with us next season.

If this is part of win now and we sign Radulov and keep Galchenuk then I think it is a good trade. A reasonable risk in loosing what might be a franchise defenseman for a legitimate chance to win right now with some good pieces.

You've echoed what I'm thinking. If we're going to lose Rad or trade Gal for another defenseman, then this deal looks like a whole lot of fancy shuffling without actually accomplishing anything.  We meed offence, that's clear.   To replace one guy with another one with the same point potential seems useless unless there is something else in the works.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'd move picks to vegas to take and trade for Emelin amd pleks.  That frees up the cash.  I'd also move an overpaid bum like Shaw before I even considered moving Galchenyuk.  The guy who was supposed to get us through the playoffs did squat and the distraction we moved took his team to the finals.

amd before you say why would vegas want them, vegas can double dip on pick by moving them for more picks at the deadly

Are you prepared to cough up at least a first round pick for them to take both of them?  I have a hard time thinking they'd take less if they're eating more than $10 million in cap space without sending any money the other way.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don't think Vegas is taking both.  Move picks and get them to take one... sure... but there is a limit to how many of these deals vegas will do. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I don't think Vegas is taking both.  Move picks and get them to take one... sure... but there is a limit to how many of these deals vegas will do. 

He doesn't deal well with logic. If the GM doesn't do what he proposes, it's because he is incompetent. 

Looking at the list of available players, there are quite a few teams hoping to unload some negative value contracts. 

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Are you prepared to cough up at least a first round pick for them to take both of them?  I have a hard time thinking they'd take less if they're eating more than $10 million in cap space without sending any money the other way.

I'd move a 1st a 2nd and prospects like McCarron, Hudon and De LaRose if they take both and draft dumba for us. Vegas would easily be able to get more picks for both emelin and pleks at the deadline

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'd move a 1st a 2nd and prospects like McCarron, Hudon and De LaRose if they take both and draft dumba for us. Vegas would easily be able to get more picks for both emelin and pleks at the deadline

I can't see them being that interested in quantity for quality.  You're basically proposing a 7-for-1 trade here (those five pieces plus Emelin/Plekanec) - when was the last time that ever happened?  It would take the 1st/2nd at a minimum for them to take both contracts and the Habs aren't going to get Dumba for McCarron and two waiver-eligible prospects that are slightly above fringy level.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I can't see them being that interested in quantity for quality.  You're basically proposing a 7-for-1 trade here (those five pieces plus Emelin/Plekanec) - when was the last time that ever happened?  It would take the 1st/2nd at a minimum for them to take both contracts and the Habs aren't going to get Dumba for McCarron and two waiver-eligible prospects that are slightly above fringy level.

I think they will probably take pleks anyway.  And they will probably get at least a 2nd and 3rd for pleks and emelin at the deadline.  They also get 3 decent prospects.

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

I think they will probably take pleks anyway.  And they will probably get at least a 2nd and 3rd for pleks and emelin at the deadline.  They also get 3 decent prospects.

If they're already taking Plekanec, I have a hard time thinking the Habs will try to tack Emelin on to that or at least pay a lot for them to take him.  A freed up $6 million covers a new deal for Galchenyuk which would allow them to keep him and Drouin (I needed to get his name in here to try to keep it on topic somewhat) without compromising their cap situation.  They'd have enough for a mid-tier UFA on D and to re-sign Markov/Radulov if they want and that'd be that. 

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If they're already taking Plekanec, I have a hard time thinking the Habs will try to tack Emelin on to that or at least pay a lot for them to take him.  A freed up $6 million covers a new deal for Galchenyuk which would allow them to keep him and Drouin (I needed to get his name in here to try to keep it on topic somewhat) without compromising their cap situation.  They'd have enough for a mid-tier UFA on D and to re-sign Markov/Radulov if they want and that'd be that. 

I think there will be some brinkmanship on vegas's part on who they are going to take.  Wed be paying for a top dman like dumba.  I'd much rather move picks for him than galchenyuk.  

I would think that with post like mine so eminently ignore worthy.. there'd be more appreciation for the move!

Thanks for all the great insights on the trade guys! :1gohabs:

• Upvote 2

This is only a win if it brings the Cup, at least presuming Sergachev becomes the stud he's expected to become. If we don't get a Cup, Subban and Sergachev are Bergevin's legacy and the reason he's fired. I don't like that Drouin's acquisition seems to equate to Chucky's departure, because that feels like one step forward (in the present) and one step back. We need 1-2 high end centres and now at least 1 more top-4 D to be Cup competitive. If we move Chucky, i don't think we're any better.  Maybe worse since Sergachev was projected to play.  

Im really on the fence here. If we aren't hoisting and parading soon, this could be a devastating trade.

1 hour ago, Colin said:

This is only a win if it brings the Cup, at least presuming Sergachev becomes the stud he's expected to become. If we don't get a Cup, Subban and Sergachev are Bergevin's legacy and the reason he's fired. I don't like that Drouin's acquisition seems to equate to Chucky's departure, because that feels like one step forward (in the present) and one step back. We need 1-2 high end centres and now at least 1 more top-4 D to be Cup competitive. If we move Chucky, i don't think we're any better.  Maybe worse since Sergachev was projected to play.  

Im really on the fence here. If we aren't hoisting and parading soon, this could be a devastating trade.

Agree 100% with everything you've said and I've pretty much been saying the same thing.

I don't love it either and have stated so but I do think Drouin has the potential to be a top 10-20 scorer in the league. You heard it here first. If that does actualize, the trade isn't too shabby. It's going to have to happen though because I also personally have relatively high expectations for Sergachev unlike some other posters here.

If we keep Galy, then the trade was worth making as a major upgrade to a flawed forward unit.

If we trade Galy, then the return needs to have been sufficient to make it worth the loss of Sergachev, who seems to project pretty clearly as a future #1 defenceman.

I'm not going to rip my hair out over a trade that hasn't happened yet. But the 'Sergachev' standard is a pretty high bar.

I remember being disappointed on draft night last year that we didn't land one of the skilled forwards drafted with the picks right before ours.  That we turned an unproven teenager into a high-skill scorer can only be counted as a huge win.  Maybe Sergachev doesn't reach his #1 potential, or maybe he only gets there in six or seven years.  Injuries will likely be key in evaluating this deal down the road, but we seem to be getting a much more proven commodity.  

I really hope we hold onto Galchenyuk. I'd rather stack the offence and let Carey save our bacon on the back end, since that's how it'll end up anyways.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
11 hours ago, Neech said:

I remember being disappointed on draft night last year that we didn't land one of the skilled forwards drafted with the picks right before ours.  That we turned an unproven teenager into a high-skill scorer can only be counted as a huge win.  Maybe Sergachev doesn't reach his #1 potential, or maybe he only gets there in six or seven years.  Injuries will likely be key in evaluating this deal down the road, but we seem to be getting a much more proven commodity.  

I really hope we hold onto Galchenyuk. I'd rather stack the offence and let Carey save our bacon on the back end, since that's how it'll end up anyways.

Well look at the d-core Pitt won the cup with. 

Not like we can mirror that kind of offense though