Jonathan Drouin is a Hab. Mikhail Sergachev is not. 2018 conditional picks exchanged.

Commandant

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, it's nice to think we got ourselves Torey Krug 2.0. I feel that size remains overrated in NHL circles. All the same, Sergachev is one of the very best D-prospects in hockey...probably unwise to slot Mete in as a comparable. It'll be exciting to see if VM can maintain his success once actual hockey games start, and if he can avoid the usual midseason crash and burn that so often befalls rookies.

Agreed.  To use a Boston comparable, if we had the choice, who would we rather have, krug, or Dougie Hamilton (who Boston valued led to chiarrelli’s during)?  From everything I’ve read, expectations and ceiling for Sergechev are higher than Hamilton.

Guest Stogey24

I'm not comparing the two, because obviously Sergachev has a higher pedigree, but he never turned heads like Mete has at camp( take that as you will).

This trade looks pretty juicy, if mete comes out of the woodwork as a quality offensive defensemen. 

The only reason I didn't LOVE the trade is because there was no Sergachev replacement... 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I'm not comparing the two, because obviously Sergachev has a higher pedigree, but he never turned heads like Mete has at camp( take that as you will).

This trade looks pretty juicy, if mete comes out of the woodwork as a quality offensive defensemen. 

The only reason I didn't LOVE the trade is because there was no Sergachev replacement... 

Mete emerging as a legit top-4 puck-mover would help a ton, that's for sure. And, as a few of us noted earlier in the thread, if Drouin turns out to be a viable #1C then the trade is a win for Montreal even if it's not a pure "win" when you compare the two players on paper, just because of what a gaping organizational hole he'll be filling.

21 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Mete is also a year older than Sergachev was at last year's camp. 

Sergachev has turned heads at this year's lightning camp and is starting the season in their top 4. 

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

No, but all the reports have been glowing out of tampa reporters.

Well there's no question I'd take Sergachev over Mete. I just never saw the same type of smooth skating and ability to recover after pinch that Mete brings. Sergachev almost looked lazy in his own end at times too. 

7 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Well there's no question I'd take Sergachev over Mete. I just never saw the same type of smooth skating and ability to recover after pinch that Mete brings. Sergachev almost looked lazy in his own end at times too. 

The defensive side of the puck was Sergachev's biggest improvement in Windsor last season.  He got a lot better.  That I did see.

Guest Stogey24

Bergevin on mete “As we speak today, he’s on the ice,” said Bergevin. “I can remember clearly that, if I compare last year’s camp of Sergachev with this year’s camp of Mete, I think Mete had a better camp. So far, Mete deserves to be here. Will he stay? That remains to be seen. We have some time to decide.” 

While I have been a fan of MB thus far, we’re beginning to lose the lustre of his tenure.

It seems that his most notorious mistakes, - Weber for Subban and letting Markov walk - seem to involve the D corps. I can’t help but think he systematically undervalues or mishandles our defence.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

While I have been a fan of MB thus far, we’re beginning to lose the lustre of his tenure.

It seems that his most notorious mistakes, - Weber for Subban and letting Markov walk - seem to involve the D corps. I can’t help but think he systematically undervalues or mishandles our defence.

Notorious mistake..Weber? You lost all credibility right there.:angry:

1 hour ago, zumpano21 said:

This post will still be here in 3 years right?

Maybe admin can remove for you?

Post is just over the top, that's all, don't be too embarrassed.:B)

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, John B said:

Sergachev has played over 40 games for the Bolts.  So no picks exchanged and Habs keep their 2nd rounder.

Yeh!  We only gave up a future #1 dman who as a 19 year old is a solid #4, for a guy who looks like he will just be. A good top 6 winger.

The trade looks like a disaster right now, I don't know if it will be though. Sergachev is ready faster than I thought he'd be after watching him in Windsor. He's also well protected but of course he is, Tampa is a smart organization. Drouin has the weight of a franchise on his shoulders to become a first line centre when he's never been able to be a centre at any level in the NHL. It's an unfair situation. But if Drouin moves to the left wing and becomes a 60-70 point winger, will it matter? We still traded a necessary position for an unnecessary one, just because Bergevin was convinced Drouin would become a 1C immediately.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The trade looks like a disaster right now 

According to who?

because Bergevin was convinced Drouin would become a 1C immediately.

That is what he told you is it?

4 hours ago, John B said:

Sergachev has played over 40 games for the Bolts.  So no picks exchanged and Habs keep their 2nd rounder.

32 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Tampa Bay has only played 37 games so far so no, he's not there quite yet.

Assuming he plays the next 3 games, Sergachev's 40th game this season will be next week against Montreal.

Does anyone seriously think Sergachev would be doing anywhere near as well as he is surrounded by this D? Operating on this PP instead of the one in Tampa?

Put things in perspective for crying outloud, its a trade, a swap of players, a swap of environment, team players and surroundings. Over here Sergachev would have been playing somewhere in this D core for 18 min a night, played on our PP making plays to our forwards. Just from that standpoint, his point totals would be significantly different. And who knows what Drouin's point totals would look like playing with Stamkos and Kucherov this season.

Sergachev literally got traded to a very ideal situation for himself, and Drouin did not. Failing to see that, or account for it, is not a fair way to look at this thing.

• Upvote 1