Jonathan Drouin is a Hab. Mikhail Sergachev is not. 2018 conditional picks exchanged.

Commandant

3 hours ago, DON said:

Yzerman drafted Drouin because he was French, just to deal him to Habs? Unlikely I think.

Never heard any other offers Stevie had. But, gotta call BS again and you know you know nothing about who and what was offered by any other teams, do you?

That’s not at all what I said. Drouin had issues in Tampa Bay which should have lowered his value to an extent. Although Yzerman was patient, once the issues with Drouin happened last year, he may have targeted Montreal, knowing he could get a solid return.

Of course I don’t know what happened, but I can summize how a smart GM would think.

I’ll repeat that Drouin formally announced he wanted to be traded and so that would forcefully have Yzerman look at his options. It’s not as simple as having drafted him to trade him to Montreal. He more than likely drafted him to keep him forever. In real life, his hand was forced though, and he did end up traded to Montreal. It’s not impossible to piece everything together.

This idea has less to do with Bergevin targeting a French player than another team being in a tough position and thinking they could get full value from us. Let’s not pretend the Vincent Lecavalier hysteria never happened.