Nathan Beaulieu Dealt to Sabres for 3rd Round Pick

Habsfan84

48 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Habs better be trading for a better defenseman than Beaulieu that needs to be protected, otherwise Bergevin just valued Benn or Emelin over Beaulieu, and that's ####ing insane. 

If they protect Emelin, they are certifiable.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That is the reoccurring theme in the MB era.  At what point do we finally accept the issue is with how players are being developed???  The only young player that had success recently was not developed by the Habs (lekhonan).

Agreed. Like most folks around here, I've been very skeptical on The direction of the farm team and our success rate of NHL graduates from the last 5+ years now.

2 minutes ago, mineral said:

Agreed. Like most folks around here, I've been very skeptical on The direction of the farm team and our success rate of NHL graduates from the last 5+ years now.

Despite my raging against the Subban trade, this is the deeper reason why I want MB fired. His organization has not a clue about player drafting and development, and is one of the worst in all of hockey on this vitally important front.

We all knew this trade was coming. N8 had very low value. Forget about the "woulda, coulda, shoulda." His best year was this year, and he was benched in the final game of the playoffs. Twenty-eight points and a lot of braincramps doesn't fetch much of a return, especially coupled with the expansion draft. The decision was a third, or maybe nothing.

I think it was a big mistake to protect Benn over Beaulieu. He had twenty-odd games of steady play before he fell apart in a top-4 role in the playoffs. To me, Jordie Benn is another Josh Gorges. Sometimes in life we become enamored with a discount, and I bet by the middle of next year we won't be as impressed with a 2.5 million dollar dman at 1.1 million.

This is a malpractice in player development. I'm interested in seeing what Phil Housley can do with Beaulieu. I think he can become a top-4 guy. That wasn't going to happen in Montreal under the questionable auspices of JJ Daigneault, Syvlain Lefebvre, Michel Therrien, and Patrice Briesbois. Talk about a shit development team. Say out loud, "our dman are being developed by" and add in those four names. It doesn't even sound plausible. Plus, when you add in he was played behind Douglas Murray, Francis Bouillon, and Mike Weaver, it shouldn't be surprising that things turned out the way they did.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What made the seguin deal so stupid, was that the bruins made almost the same friggin deal and decision with Thornton.  They also were focused on the right friggin "culture' that MB keeps harping on.  

When you move an ELITE player based on factors other than skill, talent and ability  you generally lose the deal.

And what nobody ever talks about is that the team is responsible for creating that culture. 

Color me unimpressed. Not a disaster of a trade, but I would've kept Beaulieu over Benn. Obviously there's a deal in place for Markov, because the D left on the roster and in the pipeline is a wee bit thin. There's probably something silly, like a side deal with Vegas to take Brodin from Minny and the Habs will send them Galchenyuk. Not that it's what I want, but the Habs have a huge need for a top 4, and it's gotta be filled before the season starts. Hopefully, they can do with without dealing Chucky.

26 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

We all knew this trade was coming. N8 had very low value. Forget about the "woulda, coulda, shoulda." His best year was this year, and he was benched in the final game of the playoffs. Twenty-eight points and a lot of braincramps doesn't fetch much of a return, especially coupled with the expansion draft. The decision was a third, or maybe nothing.

My two cents as well.  The Habs weren't going to get a core player in return as Beaulieu hasn't exactly been a core player.  (I say this with the expectation that he will still get a big pay raise in arbitration as the numbers call for one based on his point total.)  It's an underwhelming return but it's better than nothing which is what it may have been had they left him unprotected.  The question becomes, who will they lose in expansion and is that player worth a third rounder (or worth more, or worth less)?

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

My two cents as well.  The Habs weren't going to get a core player in return as Beaulieu hasn't exactly been a core player.  (I say this with the expectation that he will still get a big pay raise in arbitration as the numbers call for one based on his point total.)  It's an underwhelming return but it's better than nothing which is what it may have been had they left him unprotected.  The question becomes, who will they lose in expansion and is that player worth a third rounder (or worth more, or worth less)?

The real issue is their failure to develop the kid...which would not be an issue in itself, if it were not part of a larger pattern.

2 hours ago, Scott462 said:

Apparently the Habs are say Beaulieu had a terrible attitude and it was rubbing off on Galchenyuk. They were not happy about that.

I guess being benched for the biggest game of the year showed where Beaulieu sat with the Habs management.

At least we got something for him.

Rumour has it that Beaulieu was the other Hab in the SUV with Kassian when he crashed two years ago.  They kept it hidden befause they valued him at the time and thought he would clean up his act.  Apparently that wasn't the case. 

1 minute ago, JGC21 said:

Rumour has it that Beaulieu was the other Hab in the SUV with Kassian when he crashed two years ago.  They kept it hidden befause they valued him at the time and thought he would clean up his act.  Apparently that wasn't the case. 

I don't believe that rumour. It would have got out.

Meh, we have a ****load of bottom pairing guys. 

Nesterov and Beaulieu out is clearing deadwood.

Still have Emelin, Benn, Davidsson, Jerabek.... plus in the AHL there will be Redmond, Hanley, Lernout, Juulsen. 

They didn't need Beaulieu. 

They do need a top 4 to play with Weber though. 

_______ - Weber
Markov - Petry
Emelin/Jerabek - Benn

I liked Beaulieu. I don't believe all that hot headed stuff. Anyone who listened to him in interviews would have seen that he has a good hockey mind and is actually a team player. He's one of the rare breed who drop the gloves at the right time as well. 

Theres no doubt he'll be a top 4 defenseman. This is simply a result of the dispersal draft. It's not easy to compare his value in this situation to what his regular value would be because of that reality. I still don't like it though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I liked Beaulieu. I don't believe all that hot headed stuff. Anyone who listened to him in interviews would have seen that he has a good hockey mind and is actually a team player. He's one of the rare breed who drop the gloves at the right time as well. 

Theres no doubt he'll be a top 4 defenseman. This is simply a result of the dispersal draft. It's not easy to compare his value in this situation to what his regular value would be because of that reality. I still don't like it though.

I listened to him and brain smarts does not seem his strong suit. Who knows, he may play top 4 in Buffalo, do fine and improve as he gets older?

3 hours ago, JGC21 said:

There were photos. He wasn't there.

2 hours ago, DON said:

I listened to him and brain smarts does not seem his strong suit. Who knows, he may play top 4 in Buffalo, do fine and improve as he gets older?

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/video/postgame-nathan-beaulieu/t-277437414/c-44914203

Never seen that interview before but it was the first one I found from last year. It seems to me that he tends to say the right things. Not only that, but he's matured a lot over the years. I get the impression that he really was a team player and I'm not sure many people have that perception of him. As I said, this happened due to the dispersal draft so it is what it is but him and Sergachev gone leave more question marks than we had, for now.

Ok the shock of the trade has worn off. They weren't going to protect him so ya gotta get something for him. Basically Mark had a gun to head and took the best option. Nate was always a little flakey but I really thought maybe he could get his head around this hockey thing. I don't believe the story about being in the truck with Kassian anymore than I believe Chelios s boinking t his name's wife.

I see a pattern. Theodore, Ribiero Dagenais clique style.

Eller Subban Beaulieu Galchenyuk and Smith-Pelly. One of these things is not like the other..

Better return than I was expecting.

He won't be missed. I think its time to start drafting the best player available and not via org needs.

Tinordi, Beaulieu & Fischer. Maybe its time to draft skill in the early rounds and roll the dice on D in the later rounds.

Regardless. The future is now.

27 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

There were photos. He wasn't there.

But it's Montreal- it's like the old west.  When truth clashes with the legend/rumours, you go with the rumours.

15 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/video/postgame-nathan-beaulieu/t-277437414/c-44914203

Never seen that interview before but it was the first one I found from last year. It seems to me that he tends to say the right things. Not only that, but he's matured a lot over the years. I get the impression that he really was a team player and I'm not sure many people have that perception of him. As I said, this happened due to the dispersal draft so it is what it is but him and Sergachev gone leave more question marks than we had, for now.

The fact that he was willing to drop the gloves doesn't make him a team player.

7 minutes ago, nihilz said:

I see a pattern. Theodore, Ribiero Dagenais clique style.

Eller Subban Beaulieu Galchenyuk and Smith-Pelly. One of these things is not like the other..

Better return than I was expecting.

He won't be missed. I think its time to start drafting the best player available and not via org needs.

Tinordi, Beaulieu & Fischer. Maybe its time to draft skill in the early rounds and roll the dice on D in the later rounds.

Regardless. The future is now.

Well we made a future is now deal last year - how did that work out.  We won't have much of a future if he also gives away galchenyuk 

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well we made a future is now deal last year - how did that work out.  We won't have much of a future if he also gives away galchenyuk 

Its a trade. They didnt give away Sergachev. And if Chucky has to go. It best not be for Brodin etc. Better be for a legit top pairing dman off the radar. Considering the amount of teams that are apparently interested. The options have to be broader than Brodin & Fowler.

7 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Its a trade. They didnt give away Sergachev. And if Chucky has to go. It best not be for Brodin etc. Better be for a legit top pairing dman off the radar. Considering the amount of teams that are apparently interested. The options have to be broader than Brodin & Fowler.

Even though it would still leave gaping holes at FW, I could probably handle losing Galy for a young puck-moving D-man with, say, #2 potential. Who that might be, I have no idea.

20 minutes ago, nihilz said:

It sounds like Scandella plus a forward was the deal the Habs were targeting for Galchenyuk from Minnesota.