Nathan Beaulieu Dealt to Sabres for 3rd Round Pick

Habsfan84

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

This trade looks genius right now. 

Got rid of Emelin for free. 

If Beaulieu was in Montreal Vegas takes him over Emelin. 

If beaulieu was protected, Vegas takes Benn over Emelin. 

I was wondering if that was part of the plan. Considering that the Pens gave up a pick to get rid of Fleury's salary and what other teams gave up or lost I think we did pretty well.

Now to scoop a good, young LVK defenseman for picks

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Not if we get a deal done with Vegas.

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

McPhee wanted Emelin, either because he wanted a tough blueline or because he knows he can flip him. Either way he was the target, which is why there was no discussion of compensation to take him. 

The trade just looks like giving up Beaulieu for a third.

2 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Lots of hype around Jordie Benn. Can anybody think of a reason why, besides his cap hit?

Not much difference between Benn and Emelin in my mind in terms of on-ice play. 

I wouldn't say hype, he is a solid 3rd liner, plays physical, doesn't make many mistakes, can chip in a few goals. 

He is just more consistent then Beaulieu, which made him expendable

10 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

McPhee wanted Emelin, either because he wanted a tough blueline or because he knows he can flip him. Either way he was the target, which is why there was no discussion of compensation to take him. 

Given contracts, Benn is likely an easier flip than Emelin. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Given contracts, Benn is likely an easier flip than Emelin. 

In theory, sure. Benn was only worth Pateryn last season.

We don't know what Emelin is worth, and it's possible that there are GMs out there that think his play with Shea Weber is the real Emelin (seriously go online and you'll find plenty of people saying Emelin is capable of being a first pairing defenceman) and over value his big bodychecks.

Either McPhee wants him in the lineup, or he knows he can flip him. Probably a team that would want Vegas to hold a million on Emelin to make him cheaper. Vegas has the room to do it. Montreal didn't. 

(That said, I chuckle looking at Vegas' expansion team. It's 10 times worse than any fantasy draft I saw. Minnesota absolutely swindled McPhee. How do you have a choice of Dumba, Scandella, and Staal, and come out with Haula and Tuch? Eh, at least Tuch looked good in Iowa.)

1 minute ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

(That said, I chuckle looking at Vegas' expansion team. It's 10 times worse than any fantasy draft I saw. Minnesota absolutely swindled McPhee. How do you have a choice of Dumba, Scandella, and Staal, and come out with Haula and Tuch? Eh, at least Tuch looked good in Iowa.)

Keep in mind that the goal of Las Vegas is maybe not to be THAT competitive right now, but to draft a top player next year.

Vegas has 30 guys they drafted, and obviously not all can go on the NHL roster, need some who can be developed.  Tuch is one of those guys they can stick in the minors for the future, and don't have to worry about waivers. 

1 minute ago, JoeLassister said:

Keep in mind that the goal of Las Vegas is maybe not to be THAT competitive right now, but to draft a top player next year.

If the goal was to just collect draft picks and be good down the road, they still miffed that up in several areas.

Dumba is what, 22? That's a guy you keep to be competitive down the road. And even if you want to move him, you can get better than Haula/Tuch for him. Dumba is really good. 

*shrugs* I did like some of their picks but i'll leave that for the expansion thread.

1 minute ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If the goal was to just collect draft picks and be good down the road, they still miffed that up in several areas.

Dumba is what, 22? That's a guy you keep to be competitive down the road. And even if you want to move him, you can get better than Haula/Tuch for him. Dumba is really good. 

*shrugs* I did like some of their picks but i'll leave that for the expansion thread.

Yeah, I don't get Dumba either.  It was a no brainer in my opinion.

46 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I find it interesting that McPhee acquired both Emelin and Luca Spisa from Vancouver. They're identical players, which suggests to me that he does indeed believe in a tough, not-especially-mobile D-corps.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I find it interesting that McPhee acquired both Emelin and Luca Spisa from Vancouver. They're identical players, which suggests to me that he does indeed believe in a tough, not-especially-mobile D-corps.

Emelin, Sbisa, Stoner, Merill, Methot, all stone hands.

Griffin Reinhart is a bust. McNabb and Miller have some offensive skill. TVR and Schlemko could be offensive D. 

I actually haven't looked at Garrison's numbers in a while and holy heck he's useless now. He's basically praying for a career turnaround.

Guest Stogey24
10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was thinking that too. Does he have the right mindset for today's nhl

7 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I was thinking that too. Does he have the right mindset for today's nhl

Let's just say I doubt he'll be GM of the team as long as David Poile has of the Predators.

Pretty much out of the last expansion, everyone got around 9-12 years to run the team in their initial years. So unless he really blows it, he'll be running VGK for their first decade.