We really need to fix our development problems

Habsfan1989

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think they know its bad.  I think its also hard to fire the guy when you are godfather to his child, so excuses are made. 

Nepotism is unacceptable. I'm so tired of excuses from this bunch of bums.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I think they know its bad.  I think its also hard to fire the guy when you are godfather to his child, so excuses are made. 

What excuses were made, by Bergevin?

I'd say the excuse is keeping the coaching and development team intact. The Bulldogs/Icecaps had missed the playoffs 4 straight seasons with Lefebvre at the helm prior to this season. One would think that in itself would lead to a dismissal. If you go back to (arbitrarily) 1969, the Habs AHL affiliate only missed the playoffs 5 total times between 1990 and 2011. Since 2011, they've made the playoffs once.

I'll admit to not following the AHL team closely, but since Bergevin came onboard in 2012 (and hired Lefebvre a month later), the AHL team has pretty much stunk. I'd be willing to say, Julien misses the playoffs more than once, he'd be canned.

34 minutes ago, huzer said:

I'd say the excuse is keeping the coaching and development team intact. The Bulldogs/Icecaps had missed the playoffs 4 straight seasons with Lefebvre at the helm prior to this season. One would think that in itself would lead to a dismissal. If you go back to (arbitrarily) 1969, the Habs AHL affiliate only missed the playoffs 5 total times between 1990 and 2011. Since 2011, they've made the playoffs once.

I'll admit to not following the AHL team closely, but since Bergevin came onboard in 2012 (and hired Lefebvre a month later), the AHL team has pretty much stunk. I'd be willing to say, Julien misses the playoffs more than once, he'd be canned.

Yeah, but julien didn't grew up with MB.  Julien only recently entered the fox hole.

3 hours ago, DON said:

What excuses were made, by Bergevin?

If you don't fire a guy after 5 years, with basically no one developed in the AHL making an impact on your club.... you are making excuses. 

It seems to me that Bergevin has imported into management the exact same mentality he had as a player - i.e., hard-nosed, never-say-die, go-to-the-wall loyalty to his 'teammates.' But now, his teammates are not the players, but the people he has assembled on his management team, from AHL coaches all the way up. This could explain why he was so reluctant to fire Therrien, even though rational analysis suggested MT was approaching his best-before date and the occasion of missing the playoffs was a perfect opportunity. He allowed loyalty to the coach to lure him into making a dumb lateral move that aged the core by four years for no reason, and only finally fired MT when the situation was dire (and above all, when Price seemed to have quit on him). Since there is no high-pressure reason for firing Lefebvre besides general incompetence, he defaults to his natural instinct: stand by your teammate.

This is an absolutely terrible characteristic for a GM to have. It is slowly destroying the organization and all but assures we will be bottom-feeding garbage by the time this core declines. But it would be consistent with what he was as a player. If this is right, then his Achilles' Heel is his inability to make the basic adjustment of mercilessly demanding results from 'his guys.'

Say what you like about Bob Gainey. When he concluded that the organization had done a horrible job at player development, he fired EVERYONE stained by the failure: Carbo, the entire staff in Hamilton, even the players themselves. That's the level of brutal ruthlessness a GM needs to have toward failure.