Keep Galchenyuk!

REV-G

I think trading Alex Galchenyuk would be a big mistake.

He is 23 years old.

He is just now coming into his own.

When he played centre he produced 50% more than when he played wing.

Before he was injured he was at almost a point per game! 

He is very talented!

He could be our #1 centre if management would just accept he may not be the perfect two way centre right now but take a chance he could develop into one.

A line of him, Drouin and Gallagher would be dynamic.

Why trade for Drouin and then trade away Alex?

Keeping him would make our team younger with the addition of Drouin.

I'd trade Max P. before Alex. 

I'd even let Radulov go before Alex because of the age difference!

What do you think? 

He is too lazy to play proper defense so he will never be a centerman all he wants to do is score. Heck he couldn't even produce properly on the 4th line when there was nobody checking him. He was given every opportunity to play centre and wing on all of the different lines and he still couldn't get it done.

He has a piss poor attitude and Beaulieu only made it worse. We got rid of that scrub for a 3rd round pick and Galchenyuk can take his weakass game somewhere else.

Galchenyuk for Phaneuf

This is how absurd this whole thing is :wacko:

I still have hope that Galchenyuk can be the #1 center we've been waiting for. My concern has always been from the beginning that he has all of the tools and doesn't have the box. He has always mentally been a step too slow...or too fast. It's all there for him to capitalize on. He has hockey roots, this is his life. He has the opportunity and he just needs to grab it. I hope everything clicks because his potential is elite. I just hope it's with the Habs before it's too late. 

I have a bad feeling about this for some reason. I don't want to see him gone for a defenseman unless it's Doughty, Burns or Hedman. Off the top of my head. Letang or Karlsson would do. 

2 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I have a bad feeling about this for some reason. I don't want to see him gone for a defenseman unless it's Doughty, Burns or Hedman. Off the top of my head. Letang or Karlsson would do. 

Whoa! You have some opinion of Galchenyuk.

I don't want him gone and suspect we will not get full value back, but I just posted in Permanent Rumour Thread to the effect that a #2 puck-moving D and a legit offensively productive 2nd-line W might be the sort of deal that would make sense, in theory. Clearly you are ranking Galy among the game's elite, which I'm not as confident doing.

I think he really is capable of being our first line center. That's also on a team that needs top 6 centers so he should be valued even more. My opinion is also not what it is because we need top 6 center(s). He had 6 game winning goals last year and even ended the playoffs with something like 3 points in his last 4 games  while no one took notice. As an organization we clearly don't value him that high, so it's probably best not to deal him away. 

I'm not trying to bring up Duchene specifically again but just as an example, I would have preferred that type of a deal than trading him for a defenseman, soon after trading Beaulieu away for only a 3rd rounder. There's a decent chance Leddy and Beaulieu end within 5-10 points of one another next year and we just traded him for a 3rd rounder. Sergachev will likely get some points as well.

I think it's because of the trades we've already made that I wouldn't trade Galchenyuk unless it was for a heavy duty defenseman coming back. I'd rather trade him for a legitimate top 6 center if we were to trade him at all and I still wouldn't necessarily love it. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If the Leddy - Beauvillier rumour is true I think he's good as gone. 

I agree that that is a serious scenario, but would you agree with that trade?

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree that that is a serious scenario, but would you agree with that trade?

I can justify it but I don't agree with it, only because I think Galchenyuk would make the Habs look silly once Doug Weight is coaching him to success. 

Leddy is 26 and puts up 40 point seasons as a LD. He's the Markov replacement and he's signed for like five more seasons. Beauvillier is 20 years old and already an nhler. Natural left winger. Creates serious room to trade Pacioretty for a centre.

It also lets Julien ice a line of Beauvillier - Danault - Drouin and imagine the hype on that. 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Beauvillier played LW as a 19 year old. 

He is a natural centre, who played that in Junior. 

Isles had a lot of natural centres.... Tavares, Strome, Nelson, Cizikas, Quine, 

Even better. Sell him as a centre. Even more attractive to the Habs. 

Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin 

Lehkonen - Beauvillier - Gallagher/Radulov 

Can't wait!

26 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Even better. Sell him as a centre. Even more attractive to the Habs. 

Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin 

Lehkonen - Beauvillier - Gallagher/Radulov 

Can't wait!

It's definitely a deal worth considering. But Beauvillier HAS to work out.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I can justify it but I don't agree with it, only because I think Galchenyuk would make the Habs look silly once Doug Weight is coaching him to success. 

Leddy is 26 and puts up 40 point seasons as a LD. He's the Markov replacement and he's signed for like five more seasons. Beauvillier is 20 years old and already an nhler. Natural left winger. Creates serious room to trade Pacioretty for a centre.

It also lets Julien ice a line of Beauvillier - Danault - Drouin and imagine the hype on that. 

I'd rather move maxpac than galchenyuk, if we absolutely need to move one

57 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

The return on Pacioretty would need to be massive. He is top 5 goal scorer in the last 5 years isn't he?

Agreed. That is the cheapest goals/$ in the NHL, by a country mile. It would be poor asset management to dump that before his contract is up, unless you are getting the moon in return. Throw in Mars for good measure.

Gally for Leddy + Beauvillier is flat out too good to be true. I'd almost think it would be just Gally straight up for Leddy. Leddy, as mentioned, is 40+pts per year lefty signed at 5.5m for almost his entire prime, cheaper than Markov. That's a steal in itself. Beauvillier went straight to the NHL and seems to have legit upside (i admittingly know nothing about him). I would have thought they'd give Strome instead, seeing as he's been a bust so far, given his pedigree. 

The question must be asked: why the hell would Snow do such a move? He just spent a 1st rounder to protect his forwards, and now he's going to give that to Bergy?

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

The return on Pacioretty would need to be massive. He is top 5 goal scorer in the last 5 years isn't he?

That's great. We have two years of him left. Meaning we're trading a guy you can rely on for 30 goals in the season at $4.5M for two years.

You can get a very good player for that, but everyone should leave their Tavares dreams alone. In two years he's gonna want a major raise from his $4.5M salary. You won't be getting Pacoretty for anything less than $7M. Bobby Ryan two years ago signed a seven year deal with the Senators at $7.25M back when he looked like a regular 30 goal scorer. Pacioretty will likely look for better.

So unless you want to be stuck next year trading him at the deadline for a smaller package, or keeping him at an inflated price, your best bet is to deal him now and deal him for a centre. Habs can't afford another year of Pacioretty "snake bitten" in the playoffs. If you want a top six centre, he's going to get you one. I'll take a 20 goal/40 assist guy over him you can rely on down the middle. Heck I'd take Charlie Coyle for him.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

For sure. I would rather trade someone who we should get a maximum return for, rather than galchenyuk who we would be trading low.

13 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

That's great. We have two years of him left. Meaning we're trading a guy you can rely on for 30 goals in the season at $4.5M for two years.

You can get a very good player for that, but everyone should leave their Tavares dreams alone. In two years he's gonna want a major raise from his $4.5M salary. You won't be getting Pacoretty for anything less than $7M. Bobby Ryan two years ago signed a seven year deal with the Senators at $7.25M back when he looked like a regular 30 goal scorer. Pacioretty will likely look for better.

So unless you want to be stuck next year trading him at the deadline for a smaller package, or keeping him at an inflated price, your best bet is to deal him now and deal him for a centre. Habs can't afford another year of Pacioretty "snake bitten" in the playoffs. If you want a top six centre, he's going to get you one. I'll take a 20 goal/40 assist guy over him you can rely on down the middle. Heck I'd take Charlie Coyle for him.

I would rather move maxpac while he still has a value contract, but I'd want more than coyle for him.  

As as far as Tavares go, yes maxpac for Tavares is a pipe dream and we no longer have the chip that could have been packaged with maxpac.

16 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Ah yes, let's roll the dice and hope he's not snakebitten in the spring for the next two playoffs!

I think the key is maxpac needs a friggin  centre to get him the puck to truly evaluate his true effectiveness in the playoffs.

If we are hell bent on making a move, I'd rather trade him over galchenyuk, because we probably aren't going to get maxpac a centre by moving galchenyuk.  

What I don't want to see is we trade galchenyuk to fill a hole on D, and not upgrade the centre position- so essentially just replacing  galchenyuk with Drouin.

i think we need to either keep galchenyuk as a centre, or trade maxpac for one- we are not going to be able to get an upgrade at centre by moving galchenyuk.

Rather than trading galchenyuk for an upgrade on defence, id deal picks to Vegas to upgrade our D and hang on to both galchenyuk and maxpac.  If I am going to move one I'd only make a move to upgrade at centre, in which case maxpac will bring the better return.

Trading Pacioretty is a ridiculous thought. We're getting complaints about lateral moves left and right and that would be one no matter who we get in return even if it was a center.

If you were to considering trading Pacioretty, it would have to be one of those Tavares, Toews, Kopitar types coming back or multiple players. 

Trading Pacioretty for almost anyone eliminates the win now mentality. Pacioretty is of a relatively unique mold whereas like has been stated  Galchenyuk and Drouin are similar types, for instance. 

We should keep both Galchenyuk and Pacioretty for the start of the season and go from there.

32 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Trading Pacioretty is a ridiculous thought. We're getting complaints about lateral moves left and right and that would be one no matter who we get in return even if it was a center.

If you were to considering trading Pacioretty, it would have to be one of those Tavares, Toews, Kopitar types coming back or multiple players. 

Trading Pacioretty for almost anyone eliminates the win now mentality. Pacioretty is of a relatively unique mold whereas like has been stated  Galchenyuk and Drouin are similar types, for instance. 

We should keep both Galchenyuk and Pacioretty for the start of the season and go from there.

So you want a player signed for multiple years in exchange for a guy who needs a new deal in two years?

Are you ready for an eight year $64 million deal for Pacioretty in 2 seasons?

Remember when the Habs traded a 50 goal scorer for a centre after getting to the Cup final with the sniper? This team needs their Richer for Muller.