Defence woes

titanfan

Guest Stogey24

What about signing Del zotto. 

LHD who can skate and has the ability to bring some offense. 

He would probably  come on the cheap.... 

51 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

We have 4 capable lhds, and only two rhds. (At all.)

Most of the posts in this thread have slotted Benn in on the right side but you are right. The issue is that we only have one ideal top 4 on the left compared to two on the right. I think as a result acquiring a top 4 LHD is of more importance than a bottom pairing RHD. Markov could be a top 2 and Benn could slot in the top 4 on the left side but ideally Markov is on the 2nd unit and Benn/Jerabek are on the 3rd. I wanted to like Davidson but I don't trust him. 

8 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

We have to have the oldest defence in the whole league... 

They have two signed players that are 30 or older right now - Schlemko (30) and Weber (31).  Markov will up the average but they're not that old as a whole (yet at least).

Weber is in the prime of his career, right now. 31 is not old in  the nhl. 34-35 is where the big decline usually starts... unless you're Andrei Markov and you have the best season of your career at 38.

17 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

Weber is in the prime of his career, right now. 31 is not old in  the nhl. 34-35 is where the big decline usually starts... unless you're Andrei Markov and you have the best season of your career at 38.

Come come, that was not Markov's best season. He got the nickname The General for a reason - he used to control a great deal of the play out there, including defensively. That Markov was praised by Joe Thorton as 'a stud' and his excellence was a major contributor in inducing Cammalleri to sign here, so he could play with him. The Markov of age 38 is a #2 defenceman lacking footspeed; since his injuries and the emergence of Subban, he has not been 'the man' on the blueline any more. Otherwise put, your post makes me think that we've forgotten how excellent #79 used to be. ;)

It was said with a fair bit of hyperbole.  I do remember the 60ish point seasons, quite well.  The point was his resurgence this year was uncanny.  He compensated for his loss of speed with perfect positional play.  His feathered passes were uncannily accurate.  He was the epitome of hockey smarts. If he stays healthy, this is the type of player who's going to play into his 40s and remain effective. 

20 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

It was said with a fair bit of hyperbole.  I do remember the 60ish point seasons, quite well.  The point was his resurgence this year was uncanny.  He compensated for his loss of speed with perfect positional play.  His feathered passes were uncannily accurate.  He was the epitome of hockey smarts. If he stays healthy, this is the type of player who's going to play into his 40s and remain effective. 

He's a smart cookie, all right. The question is whether he'll lose another step. If he does, then he's done, I think.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Whats the chances we could sign Alzner?  With Weber, it would make for a solid shut down top pair, LHD to boot. 

I've got no issue with it, but to have the cap space to get him means something falls apart on the Radulov side of it, otherwise if you resign Radulov and Markov and Galchenyuk where is the money for a guy like Alzner? Certainly going to cost around 4 million to bring him in.

I like him with Weber, though, just not sure how the money works

With some really good negotiating, We could get Markov re-sign $4m,  Galchenyuk for $5m.  King for $1.5m.  Flynn for $1m or less.  Radulov for $6.5m.  Leaving $5m to entice Alnzer?

33 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

With some really good negotiating, We could get Markov re-sign $4m,  Galchenyuk for $5m.  King for $1.5m.  Flynn for $1m or less.  Radulov for $6.5m.  Leaving $5m to entice Alnzer?

Bergevin has confirmed that he won't be re-signing King or Flynn. 

But going with all your other salaries, and assuming the rest of the forward spots are filled with minimum salary players (Hudon, De La Rose), you'd have about 4 million left for Alzner.

Markov is apparently asking for $7m over 2 years and Bergy hasn't signed that yet. WTF. We've had him on the cheap his entire career and we can't give this last contract to him?

49 minutes ago, mineral said:

Markov is apparently asking for $7m over 2 years and Bergy hasn't signed that yet. WTF. We've had him on the cheap his entire career and we can give this last contract to him?

Jimmy Murphy gets some reports right but quite a few wrong as well.  I suspect that if all it took to get a deal done was 2/7, it'd be done by now.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Jimmy Murphy gets some reports right but quite a few wrong as well.  I suspect that if all it took to get a deal done was 2/7, it'd be done by now.

I can't remember a single Habs report that Jimmy Murphy has gotten right.