Schlemko a Hab...

Dalhabs

He will be a very serviceable 3rd pairing guy, who can move up the line up incase of injury, He is every bit as useful as guys like Emelin and Beaulieu who were both better suited on our 3rd pair, and he will come at a cheaper price.

Whats not to like? its not like they just traded a 5th round pick for a guy they are claiming is the next Brent Burns here. Guy makes 2 mill a year and is slotted for our 5th or 6th spot, and based on what I saw of him in SJ i'm more than comfortable with that.

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

OK, but why keep Emelin and not Schlemko?

Maybe plan is to deal Emelin at trade deadline instead, with his expiring contract he may fit some playoff bound team?

6 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Too hard to trade Emelin maybe? The real question is why take Emelin and not Hudon.

If you're just selling your defense for 5ths, why take them. I don't understand the logic.

That's seems odd, to pick up a guy who only gets you a 5th a couple years from now? Surely there were better d available

All I know is that a lot of what seems odd to us may stem from conversations that happened behind the scenes. He's a general manager coming into a league and has the opportunity to make good impressions on other GMs out there for future considerations.

I'm not saying you have to be nice in a situation like this but I agree with Machine OLG that McPhee seems to have treated teams "nicely" throughout the process, in general.

Maybe teams said something along the lines of  "take that guy" from another team and we'll make it worth your while in the future. I get that it doesn't really answer the question of why he would pick a player who he then lets go for a 5th immediately after, but it kind of does. In addition, this whole happening seems to have created a unique value of its own that isn't standard in a normal season.

He had to draft 30 players. 

An NHL roster is 23 guys. 

He also is making trades to add even more guys... and he's made free agent signings and will make more. 

His roster is bloated, thats why some of his guys are being traded to be moved. 

Vegas had the second highest cap hit in the entire NHL after the draft, simply on the number of contracts they have to take on. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

is vegas loading up on russians to help build a russian fan base in the vegas area? heard they have a sizeable russian community?

1rdvfi.jpg

11 hours ago, DON said:

That's seems odd, to pick up a guy who only gets you a 5th a couple years from now? Surely there were better d available

San Jose didn't have a particularly strong list of players to choose from (I had Vegas taking Barclay Goodrow who basically is a flyer as a 12th/13th forward).

• dlbalr changed the title to Schlemko a Hab...