Schlemko a Hab...

Dalhabs

For a fifth? Seems like a solid trade if that's the case. We needed LD desparately. I was almost nervous when I read this happened, but Schlemko fits the bill at that price for sure.

Just now, Lovett's Magnatones said:

He's old...he stinks...he's signed until 2020. Queue the yearly influx of third pairing D and 4th liners. They got backed into a corner by the expansion draft, and downgraded from N8 and Emelin.

Only 30, younger than Emelin, at nearly half the price. Until he's 33. 

Seems like an expensive depth player, but maybe that's just me. I guess he'll be paired with Benn and battle that spot with Davidson. Looks like he gets injured fairly often, though. I guess Jerabek is likely to slot into the top 4 now? Or will it be Schlemko/Jerabek/Davidson for 5/6 spot?

2 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I'd prefer one year of a mediocre defenseman to three. There's a reason five teams have gotten rid of this guy.

He was a waiver claim twice (which doesn't bode well either, mind you), and the other two times he was a free agent. Technically, this is his first time being traded.

3 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I'd prefer one year of a mediocre defenseman to three. There's a reason five teams have gotten rid of this guy.

Cause he's in high demand, duh!

5 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Maybe not, but he's new! That's the next best thing to "good."

Yea, was 100% a joke. Still think this is actually a good trade, but maybe that's cause I'm my mind it's Schlemko and a fifth for Emelin.

Woo hoo!  Another 3rd pairing D.  Just need another 4th line forward now!

• Upvote 1

Ok. Firstly, yes the Habs have major work to do in the left defensive side. It's Empty. Obviously at least one right defendemen will shift. That's fairly common. But it's likely two that will play other side. 

Secondly, Markov now can ask for more money then the market. Just out of desperate need to keep him and be a left sided dman. 

Third, the team is missing a star Centre. But apart from that, I think there's a good balance of all four lines type of players. So the comment about fourth liners is out of line. 

With that said, the Habs are short their 4th dman. That's a given when you trade for offence, which was needed, and losing your fourth to expansion, when you can only protect three. And trading another fringe 4th/5th dean or second pairing -- in an expansion year. Which is why I just didn't get trading  Beauliau for a third. I would rather have lost him and still had Emelin. Management felt otherwise. Which meant they were happy with the thought they could use Emelin's contract money to snag a FA better for the price. Or the same quality for less. I personally don't think so. It's a big gamble to me. 

One or or two of the blue chip drafted prospects needs to step up. Sign Markov, snag a Benn ish type FA, and it's all good. 

Go Habs. 

Edited by dreegking

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Very good trade.  Much better than Emelin at half the price. 

Outperformed Emelin in all areas despite less ice time. 

schlemkoemelin.jpg

I hope he can stay healthy

Schlemko Benn is a scary good 3rd pairing. At the cost of what a Beaulieu contract would have been. Minus Emelin.

I've said this in passing before, but Bergevin's asset management skills are top notch. Call him BarginBin or what not. He makes sound lateral moves. The cap structure on defense is ideal now.

I hope he sign's Galchenyuk to a 1 yr extension at $4.5m and retains his RFA status for next season.

Time to trade Shaw.

• dlbalr changed the title to Schlemko a Hab...