2017 NHL Entry Draft Thread

dlbalr

cut.jpg

The 2017 NHL Draft is here which might provide some short-term relief from the Alex Galchenyuk trade talk.  (Who am I kidding, that's not likely going to happen, is it?)  The Habs head into the draft with six picks in total although five of those are inside the top 90.  Assuming they don't make any moves, they should be able to at least replenish a bit of the depth towards the top end of their prospect pool.

Montreal's Picks:

25th Overall
56th Overall
58th Overall
68th Overall
87th Overall
149th Overall

Don't forget to make your pick for who the Habs will take by entering our Draft Pool.  (We haven't had many takers in this one yet, it'd be nice to have a few more people in there...)

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Rangers nab Arizona pick at #7 and stuff, for Stepan and stuff.

Arizona really shaking things up for themselves.

I can't believe they are actually adding salary that isn't being paid by insurance!

Good for them. I went to a game a few years ago when they were in Glendale and despite the hate they receive, they have a good fan base. 

Decent trade for the Rangers as well if Stepan was as good as a goner. They're likely to get a pretty good player for the future. 

We're getting close to the Habs time to pick; #20 was just taken.

I hope it's not a winger. Clearly they need both centers and defencemen.

I thought he was going to go earlier than #25. In our HW mock draft, I predicted him going #19, so I'm glad the Habs got him. 

Just now, Neech said:

Did we just get another McCarron/De La Rose?

Nope not at all.  Poehling has much better wheels than both of them, and better offensive skills too.  He needs to bulk up though as he's a bit light but he has a decent frame and it should happen.  

This has been the lousiest draft I can remember. My takeaway will be all the Finns. Uhro this, lainen, kainen, painen, that. After the second pick, I was lost. And it's not all to do with the draft, but moreso the circus of the expansion draft and the NHL Awards that stole the entry draft's thunder.

I feel for the kids. The league usually sets them up with a few PR spots to showcase the top picks and maybe help those kids relax. They looked more like B celebrities at an expo center than top hockey prospects. What a sorry state of affairs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Did we just get another McCarron/De La Rose?

Not at all, so far I've heard his comparisons from multiple experts as Jordan Staal, Patrik Berglund, and Ryan O'Rielly.

Pegged as a top 6 forward who will likely slot into a 2nd line center position, no talk of him being a bottom 6 forward at all. If he ends up being a bigger version of Plekanec while in his prime I would be one happy camper, anything more is a bonus.

9 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Anyone think we could move up to select Hague tomorrow? We'd address LD and center needs

I'm still not convinced one those 2nd rounders doesn't get flipped as trade bait to acquire a current NHL d-man from a team who could use the cap relief