2017 NHL Entry Draft Thread

dlbalr

1 minute ago, tyberius67 said:

Not at all, so far I've heard his comparisons from multiple experts as Jordan Staal, Patrik Berglund, and Ryan O'Rielly.

Pegged as a top 6 forward who will likely slot into a 2nd line center position, no talk of him being a bottom 6 forward at all. If he ends up being a bigger version of Plekanec while in his prime I would be one happy camper, anything more is a bonus.

De la Rose used to be compared to Jordan Staal as well, albeit potentially wrongly so.

Just now, xXx..CK..xXx said:

De la Rose used to be compared to Jordan Staal as well, albeit potentially wrongly so.

De la Rose was always pegged as a potential good 3rd line center with Size, his offensive game was never in the same spectrum. with this kid, like I said, no one is talking about a depth forward. its all 2nd line center, who plays a gritty north south game, uses his speed to create scoring chances and has a very good shot. I personally like it, and I like that it puts a Center in the pipeline with some nice upside that has a chance to be in our top 6 a few years down the road, something we no longer had.

Here's an interview I tracked down of Poehling from last December.  The Pipeline Show is a pretty good show about prospects.

http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media_detail.php?show=1481932800&sn=12

1 hour ago, Chris said:

fortunately he plays for a good college program

They've developed one prospect of note for the Habs - Charlie Lindgren.

A completely random tidbit about Poehling I just stumbled upon:

By the way, was it just me or did Morgan Frost look like the most unhappy selected player at the draft tonight?  Especially that moment with his father in the stands.  Either the kid grew up hating the Flyers, or he must have believed he was going to be drafted by another team. 

This was a kid that was rumoured to be high on the Habs list.

27 minutes ago, tyberius67 said:

De la Rose was always pegged as a potential good 3rd line center with Size, his offensive game was never in the same spectrum. with this kid, like I said, no one is talking about a depth forward. its all 2nd line center, who plays a gritty north south game, uses his speed to create scoring chances and has a very good shot. I personally like it, and I like that it puts a Center in the pipeline with some nice upside that has a chance to be in our top 6 a few years down the road, something we no longer had.

I like this kid alot.  ANd I do think he can be a second liner.

One thing in your post i have to comment on though, He might have a very good shot, but he had like 40 SOG in 34 games (not an exact stat, its almost midnight and i'm not looking it up, but its like 1.1 shots per game).  He never shoots.  All his goals/shots are deflections, or pouncing on a rebound.  He rarely, rarely shoots.  Always looking to pass when he has the puck.  Thats my biggest criticism of him. 

But I like him a lot even without that. 

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I like this kid alot.  ANd I do think he can be a second liner.

One thing in your post i have to comment on though, He might have a very good shot, but he had like 40 SOG in 34 games (not an exact stat, its almost midnight and i'm not looking it up, but its like 1.1 shots per game).  He never shoots.  All his goals/shots are deflections, or pouncing on a rebound.  He rarely, rarely shoots.  Always looking to pass when he has the puck.  Thats my biggest criticism of him. 

But I like him a lot even without that. 

I almost like that, in that it's coachable. With natural progression, and coaching to shoot more, isn't it feasible he doubles, even triples his shot output, and scores 20+ goals next season?

Poehling looks like a man already. He doesn't look like he belongs with the baby faces.

Three Poehling brothers make history..

Note: He wore the Nords logo is HS. Now the Habs logo at St-Cloud. His uncle was a Habs draft pick in the 70s. Good omens ;P

10 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

You almost have to laugh as they list players like Pavel Datsyuk and Erik Kalesson as comparables. They should try Patrik Stefan, Hugh Jessiman, and Louis Leblanc for laughs.

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Was there any other players available with more offensive upside?

I'd say someone like Tolvanen is a more offensive player (he went 30th to Nashville).  He's an undersized winger which is part of the reason he slid.

Guest Stogey24
22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd say someone like Tolvanen is a more offensive player (he went 30th to Nashville).  He's an undersized winger which is part of the reason he slid.

Do you like this pick?

2 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Do you like this pick?

I do.  They need centres in a big way and while Poehling won't be the elusive number one, I could see him producing enough offence to be a #2.  It's hard to get a read on his overall offensive upside given his status as the youngest NCAA player but his play at the U-18's against his age group provides a bit of cause for optimism.  He also won't be as long of a wait as a usual NCAA-bound pick as he's already used one of his eligibility years.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Philly paid a big price to trade up for Ratcliffe, a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

For a McCarron-type and only moved up 9 spots.

Just now, DON said:

Comtois keeps dropping, should Habs move up if he gets close?

I'd like to see them hold on to the two picks but if he slips a bit further (where the price may be a 2nd + 3rd), I'd be intrigued.

In last year's Ivan Hlinka tournament, Poehling scored a hat trick in 11 minutes !  He also scored 3 goals and 2 assists in 7 games in the last U18 tournament. So he has solid offensive ability.

http://hlinkamemorial.com/eng/zapas.asp?id=Cesi-podlehli-USA-a-v-semifinale-vyzvou-Svedy-Tremi-goy-rozhodl-kapitan-Poehling-70

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show/3307764-ryan-poehling