2017 NHL Entry Draft Thread

dlbalr

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Cale Fleury at 87, another D (and someone else we had in our mock to the Habs in the 3rd round).

good calls:thumbs_up:

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Cale Fleury at 87, another D (and someone else we had in our mock to the Habs in the 3rd round).

Yes!  A good right shooting defenceman, with good mobility and passing.  Sure he needs to work on his defensive game but as a longer term project that's ok.  He also played on a terrible team which may have down played his defensive side.  I thought Fleury would have been taken higher than the 3rd round so I'm pleased to see the Habs take him there.

22 minutes ago, habscout said:

Of course!  Centers and defencemen are all they need to focus on this year.  Probably next year too.

I like this stat about Walford.  At the end of the season when another experienced defenceman on his team was injured, Walford got more ice time and scored 14 points in the last 13 games!  

Another year of C/D focus?

Feels like a lot of Juulsen-Esque defense man; won't necessarily put up a whole lot of points, but can be steady and reliable. 

Im not compaining so far, there don't seem to be any dumb Crisp type picks. 

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

For the second straight year, the Habs take next year's 7th rounder and trade it for a 7th this year, 199 from Philly.

No doubt to take some habs' scouts long shot favourite. 

1 minute ago, DON said:

No doubt to take some habs' scouts long shot favourite. 

I would imagine this will be an international pick, similar to Henrikson last year.  The fact they did this before the pick was up suggests they're pretty confident who they want will be there. (Or there are a few guys they want...)

3 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Anyone else got that "hammer's 'bout to drop" feeling?

It's been quiet for MB. Too quiet.

If memory serves, usually it goes quiet after the draft for a couple of days.  GMs will talk but will mull any talks over on the flight home and get back to it on Monday.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Goalie Cayden Primeau at 199.  Nice.

You knew of him? 6'3" is perfect size for goalie these days, but USHL stats don't wow you.

19 minutes ago, DON said:

You knew of him? 6'3" is perfect size for goalie these days, but USHL stats don't wow you.

I had seen his name start to pop up around the fourth round as someone that was supposed to go then so to see them get someone like that in the seventh is nice.  There's a lot of projectability in his frame too - he's tall now but he should round out into a bigger goalie as he fills out.  I also was hoping they'd get a goalie as they're not far from having a hole to fill in the system so it's nice to see that be addressed.  He probably won't play much the next year or two so this is very much a long-term project pick but a pretty good one to get just shy of 200.