2017 NHL Entry Draft Thread

dlbalr

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I had seen his name start to pop up around the fourth round as someone that was supposed to go then so to see them get someone like that in the seventh is nice.  There's a lot of projectability in his frame too - he's tall now but he should round out into a bigger goalie as he fills out.  I also was hoping they'd get a goalie as they're not far from having a hole to fill in the system so it's nice to see that be addressed.  He probably won't play much the next year or two so this is very much a long-term project pick but a pretty good one to get just shy of 200.

Good to hear!

Seems every pick was ranked higher than chosen and most fans should be quite pleased with group picked.:clap:

For myself, will be nice to have 4 WHL d-men to follow.

18 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Total garbage. A week after trading for the pre-eminent Quebecois superstar, the jackals of the French Media complain about not drafting a Francophone.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/06/24/sombre-page-dhistoire-pour-le-canadien

It's the one thing that makes me nearly question being a habs fan. Is it even possible to win in such a market? It's already tough enough. I hate the thought of watering down our system just to fill a Québécois need. 

The same people whining would trash trash the team for not being competitive like the old days. Sorry we need a French coach, French gm, french players, and french water boys. 

25 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

It's the one thing that makes me nearly question being a habs fan. Is it even possible to win in such a market? It's already tough enough. I hate the thought of watering down our system just to fill a Québécois need. 

The same people whining would trash trash the team for not being competitive like the old days. Sorry we need a French coach, French gm, french players, and french water boys. 

My thoughts exactly, the handcuffs put on us from the Francophone side of this on GM/Coaching is binding enough. 

56 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Total garbage. A week after trading for the pre-eminent Quebecois superstar, the jackals of the French Media complain about not drafting a Francophone.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/06/24/sombre-page-dhistoire-pour-le-canadien

That's basically a subtle hit piece on Timmins. 

10 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

There is a belief out there among some that Quebec-born players would try harder in Montreal than for any other team.  I've never believed that for a second.  If a player is drafted by an NHL team, they're going to try their best regardless of who it is, they're not going to hold something back and then magically become a better player/prospect as soon as they become property of the Canadiens.  Very few Quebec-born players were drafted (I think nine?) - that's a sign that it was a very poor draft class so I'm not upset that they decided to pick prospects they deemed better over going for a token filler.  And Timmins did acknowledged that they tried to move up in the 2nd round and it's believed that Comtois was their target while he added that Zach Lauzon was someone they were expecting to take at 56 or 58 but he went just before that (so it's not like they weren't deliberately avoiding them).

Development camp starts next week and one player that will be there is undrafted centre Alexandre Alain.  He's eligible to turn pro right away as he's already 20.

Of the 9 WHL d-men taken this year, Habs grabbed 4 of them. The Habs WHL scout(s) (Westrum, Benning, Backus were listed as west scouts) must be a fav of Mgmt?

It's a Canadian thing. There will always be a Cherry in Toronto complaining if the Leafs don't take a good Toronto kid. Western Canada has been pretty good always having stars from western Canada on their squad.

This is the second year of no Quebec draft picks so clearly management is ignoring the media. 

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The 6th Annual Tradition is bigger and better than ever, A full review of how every team did in the 2017 NHL Draft. 

Let me know what you think. 

http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com/2017/06/25/2017-nhl-draft-grades/

Overall a bit favourable in grades, but I would consider NHL player trades a separate item. How did a team do given the picks they had is all I would grade em by.

But, well done write up on the teams and thanks for posting.

Edited by DON
Not to seem all negative

27 minutes ago, DON said:

Overall a bit favourable in grades, but I would consider NHL player trades a separate item. How did a team do given the picks they had is all I would grade em by.

But, well done write up on the teams and thanks for posting.

Many teams trade picks to get players, that has to be included in the evaluation from my view. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Many teams trade picks to get players, that has to be included in the evaluation from my view. 

Sure, just my 2 cents is all; but, do appreciate the effort to compile and write up on all the teams and good breakdown of the kids picked, for sure.

My annual tradition of trying to grade a draft class barely 24 hours after it has been picked:  http://www.habsworld.net/2017/06/grading-the-2017-draft-class/

Add Maxime Fortier to the invite list for development camp.  The Habs had him in last year but cut him and he went on to have a strong season in Halifax, 87 points in 68 games.  He's a late '97 as well which means he could turn pro.

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There is a belief out there among some that Quebec-born players would try harder in Montreal than for any other team.  I've never believed that for a second.  If a player is drafted by an NHL team, they're going to try their best regardless of who it is, they're not going to hold something back and then magically become a better player/prospect as soon as they become property of the Canadiens.  Very few Quebec-born players were drafted (I think nine?) - that's a sign that it was a very poor draft class so I'm not upset that they decided to pick prospects they deemed better over going for a token filler.  And Timmins did acknowledged that they tried to move up in the 2nd round and it's believed that Comtois was their target while he added that Zach Lauzon was someone they were expecting to take at 56 or 58 but he went just before that (so it's not like they weren't deliberately avoiding them).

Development camp starts next week and one player that will be there is undrafted centre Alexandre Alain.  He's eligible to turn pro right away as he's already 20.

There were more American kids picked out of high school than the QMJHL. That league has been lagging behind, seemingly since Crosby got drafted. 

Complete BS about effort level. There are only a handful of players like Kovalev that can play in the league while not going full bore. And if they can't find an extra level without a dose of Quebec nationalism, the Habs don't want them anyways.

21 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Its total garbage from the bully pulpit.

If they were truly wanting to ask tough questions, it would be along the lines of:

1.  Why is the Q consistently lower in quality than the O and W?

2. Why isn't the Q producing good NHL coaches comparable to other development leagues.

( I don't have stats to prove this but I can only assumes it's true as our talent pool for hiring coaches has been no greater than about 5 in recent memory)

It's my belief from looking into future prospects that 2019-2020 might be the last good Quebec drafts for a very long time. Ontario might follow soon after. 

Participation is dwindling all over Canada. It's too expensive to play today. It used to just be equipment and travel (still expensive). Now it's equipment, travel, private camps, $200 composite sticks that break in a week, etc. 

I recently read a study that said volleyball is the fastest growing sport in North America. Why? It's cheap, you can play it anywhere, any age or gender, and recent rule changes made the game faster. If a league forms that TSN and ESPN like enough, plus stars, it could get huge fast and begin pushing more kids to an all season game. That's not including how many kids now watch eSports over traditional sports. Who is going to hurt first and hardest? The most expensive sports, and hockey is near the top. 

So it's not just more American kids getting into it. It's less Canadian kids playing. 

There is already a 2020 Quebec kid getting a ton of hype as a possible first overall.  Alexis Lafreniere has numbers at 15 that are comparable to Pierre Turgeon, Vincent Lecavalier and Alexandre Daigle.  Three former 1st overall kids. 

He's playing for Rimouski next year.