Qualifying offers

Trizzak

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/canadiens-submit-qualifying-offers-to-four-players/c-290162558

Galchenyuk, Lindgren, Friberg, and De La Rose get QOs.

Stefan Matteau, Mark MacMillan and Connor Crisp, and defensemen Ryan Johnston, Joel Hanley, Dalton Thrower, and Keegan Lowe were not qualified

A little surprised about Matthau- and Johnson since he reportedly just signed in Europe 

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Matteau and Crisp were hot garbage.

Dalton Thrower had a great name. Wish he became an NHLer. 

Actually not commenting on Matteau's value; just surprised that --since they traded for the POS relatively recently -- they didn't qualify him. I guess I should be happy that MB is able to cut his losses despite possible bad PR

Julien mentioned the other day that Matteau was going to get a shot at making the team out of training camp.  Either there's a miscommunication or there's something still in the works with him.  I'm disappointed that Lowe wasn't qualified, he had a nice run after being acquired and is on the side that they basically have no depth whatsoever at now.

47 minutes ago, dreegking said:

Addition by subtraction. 

Depends on who they're replaced with.  If they plan to fill Laval with competent players, great.  If not, then those that follow the team will probably be wishing a few of these players were kept around.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Julien mentioned the other day that Matteau was going to get a shot at making the team out of training camp.  Either there's a miscommunication or there's something still in the works with him. 

Translation: his dad is friends with my boss so gotta play nice

Matteau I thought would get a 2 way deal as seemed he was doing better at end of season and he did have 4 pts in 4 playoff games.

19 minutes ago, John B said:

Are there any intriguing players that didn't receive qualifying offers from other teams that the Habs might take a chance on?

In terms of NHL players, not really.  Aside from Yakupov/Grigorenko, a couple others that some may recognize are Alex Chiasson and Joe Morrow.

There are few intriguing 24/25 year olds that would likely replace some of Montreal's outgoing 24/25 year olds as depth AHL guys - Chase Balisy and Jordan Oesterle come to mind.  It's not a particularly interesting class though, last summer had more interesting players going unqualified.

21 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

What are the chances the team takes Galchenyuk to arbitration just so they have the option of a second buyout window?

They need to rebuild the relationship with galchenyuk.  Taking him to arbitration will not help that.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

What are the chances the team takes Galchenyuk to arbitration just so they have the option of a second buyout window?

Slim to nil and I'd lean towards the latter.  If the Habs take him to arbitration, Galchenyuk elects two years and sets himself up for UFA status at 25.  That's about the worst possible course of action they could take.  The likelier outcome is that Galchenyuk files for arbitration himself.

If the Habs wanted to buy someone out, they'd have done so already. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Slim to nil and I'd lean towards the latter.  If the Habs take him to arbitration, Galchenyuk elects two years and sets himself up for UFA status at 25.  That's about the worst possible course of action they could take.  The likelier outcome is that Galchenyuk files for arbitration himself.

If the Habs wanted to buy someone out, they'd have done so already. 

A deal can still be reached before arbitration, but the 2nd buyout window still happens, no?

The Habs might not want to buyout anyone now, but if they land a few high-priced free agents then they would probably want that opportunity again.

58 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

A deal can still be reached before arbitration, but the 2nd buyout window still happens, no?

The Habs might not want to buyout anyone now, but if they land a few high-priced free agents then they would probably want that opportunity again.

Yes, a settlement doesn't stop the buyout window.  However, there's still no reason for the Habs to take him to it as that would all but seal his UFA eligibility at 25.  Bergevin would be handing a huge leverage point to Galchenyuk's agent, one that would probably cost them considerably in any settlement where they'd be up against the gun.  It's not worth it, even if they do sign a bunch of big UFAs tomorrow (something I'm not exactly counting on happening).

On 6/28/2017 at 5:00 PM, John B said:

Are there any intriguing players that didn't receive qualifying offers from other teams that the Habs might take a chance on?

No. But there are unintriguing players who will be signed. 

• Upvote 1

Seeing as how nobody made a thread about it, I'll just quietly note here that Lindgren signed a 1 year, 2 way deal worth $700 000. The Habs have no more RFAs needing contracts. 

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Seeing as how nobody made a thread about it, I'll just quietly note here that Lindgren signed a 1 year, 2 way deal worth $700 000. The Habs have no more RFAs needing contracts. 

He took a pay cut at the NHL level (by $225K) to get a $45K raise in the minors (from $70-$115K).

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He took a pay cut at the NHL level (by $225K) to get a $45K raise in the minors (from $70-$115K).

Good deal, can't see him making it to the big kindergarden class this year. Maybe next.