If we don't win the cup In 18...what will be the out come??

Habsfan1989

So after everything that has happened if we don't win the cup in 18', what will happen??

does Marc get fired and we go through a house cleaning? Or did he buy himself time by trading for a French super star that the media in Montreal have been crying for?

Guest Stogey24

First or second round exit in the playoffs, Bergevin is done. 

Semis or final, he probably bides some time. 

Gainey resigned, Gauthier, I think the PR disaster with Cunneyworth, and not the bizarre Cammalleri trade (or the poor showing of the team in 2011), was what get him canned.

I think the undoing of Bergevin will be drafting and development. That will take longer. I think the only thing that speeds that up is missing the playoffs entirely.

2 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

If the lineup on Jul 2 is noticeably better than the previous July, he's not going anywhere. 

I would hope that applies in any year.

My thoughts exactly, there will be 30 teams who don't win a cup in 2018, 29 teams who don't reach the final. Not every GM is going to get canned for it, some GMs have been trying and failing for longer than Bergevin has.  If he ices an improved club and continues to try to fill whatever needs we have going forward, then he will and should keep his job. Also i'm interested to see what a full camp/season is Julien's coaching will do for this team and especially some of its youngsters who struggled last year, Galchenyuk and Gallagher come to mind.

I do agree that if the Development area of the club does not improve, and he continues to sit on his hands about it, that maybe his undoing before any on-ice performance. With that said, i'd still say he at least survives another 2 seasons before he pays for that. 

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

If the lineup on Jul 2 is noticeably better than the previous July, he's not going anywhere. 

I would hope that applies in any year.

So we have a better team come July, yet we don't make the playoffs, or bust early. You still think he's keeping his job? Not happening 

1 minute ago, Stogey24 said:

So we have a better team come July, yet we don't make the playoffs, or bust early. You still think he's keeping his job? Not happening 

Can't have one without the other

If he ices an improved team over the one that just won a Division title, how could anyone expect not to make the playoffs? I would think an improved team over the last one makes it past round one, not misses the playoffs altogether. unless there are catastrophic injuries to said roster then at that point he will get the benefit of the doubt as Therrien did when Price was gone for the season.

Unless they miss the playoffs, I think he's safe for the next year. Even a first round knock out, I think they keep him. Too much $$ to fire him and replace him.

1 hour ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Unless they miss the playoffs, I think he's safe for the next year. Even a first round knock out, I think they keep him. Too much $$ to fire him and replace him.

A first round elimination will be hard to spin, unless there is a ready excuse to hand, e.g., injuries. If there is an excuse, well, we know Habs ownership and mgt. will take it. 

But I'd guess you're right. Such a result would probably put MB on probation, but not in the dumpster where his incompetent ass belongs.

A second round exit can (comically) be spun as 'improvement,' so he should be OK there.  

Anything more and he will be hailed as some brilliant mastermind by ownership. That's what this once-proud franchise has come to.

3 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I think that would have to fall on the coach and/or players.

Guest Stogey24
3 hours ago, Link67 said:

Can't have one without the other

If he ices an improved team over the one that just won a Division title, how could anyone expect not to make the playoffs? I would think an improved team over the last one makes it past round one, not misses the playoffs altogether. unless there are catastrophic injuries to said roster then at that point he will get the benefit of the doubt as Therrien did when Price was gone for the season.

Atlantic Division isn't going to be a cake walk next year. 

People seem to forget that Bergevin led this team to a lottery pick two years ago. He basically watched this team sink without Carey.

This past season had some seriously bumpy patches too, that led to the coach being fire(Way past his expiration date too). 

We then go into deadline day, begging for a guy who can put the puck in the net, yet Bergevin grabs all sand paper. 

Playoffs come around and we get canned in the first round because we can't bury the puck. Something that plauged this team all season long and was screaming right in Bergevin's face. Yet he decided to add "character".

It's either a deep playoff run or marky gets canned. That's it, that's all 

Bergevin' playoff stats 

2012/2013- Round 1 elimination

2013/2014- Round 3 elimination

2014/2015- Round 2 elimination

2015/2016- Didn't qualify for playoffs

2017/2018- Round 1 elimination 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

They haven't won the cup since 93. 

It will be business as usual. 

You realize how many teams haven't won since 93? We are one of many, I love how folks try to make it sound like its easy to win cups, that it is shameful to go 20 years without a championship when there is this many teams in the league. How many years did Chicago go before their run in the last 5 years, how many did L.A go? Boston?

The reality is, hockey has changed, there are more teams than ever, less % to win, and the way teams are built, acquire young talent, is different than it was 30 years ago. But lets keep pouting on our make believe island of Sports Franchises who just can't get it together and do, what seems like, the easy task of win a Stanley Cup every 10 years.

This team may not be a true contender yet, but one thing is certain in my opinion, is that we are as close to one as we have been since 93. Baby steps, doesn't matter what kind of steps they are as long as they are steps. You might stumble and bumble along the way but sooner or later you get across the room, and get a hold of that weird silver thing to chew on.

OR maybe I just have too much of a postive outlook on things lol, guess i'll find out if I die without seeing another cup win

3 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

People seem to forget that Bergevin led this team to a lottery pick two years ago. He basically watched this team sink without Carey.

This past season had some seriously bumpy patches too, that led to the coach being fire(Way past his expiration date too). 

We then go into deadline day, begging for a guy who can put the puck in the net, yet Bergevin grabs all sand paper. 

Playoffs come around and we get canned in the first round because we can't bury the puck. Something that plauged this team all season long and was screaming right in Bergevin's face. Yet he decided to add "character".

Bergevin' playoff stats 

While I agree to a certain extent on most of your points, I just don't see enough failure in those 5 years to bet he gets fired short of a catastrophic turn of events. Not sure he even warrants it when I look at those stats, has any other GM we had since Savard done better in a 5 year window?

36 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Bergevin' playoff stats 

More like he picked up some more toilet paper

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
13 hours ago, Link67 said:

While I agree to a certain extent on most of your points, I just don't see enough failure in those 5 years to bet he gets fired short of a catastrophic turn of events. Not sure he even warrants it when I look at those stats, has any other GM we had since Savard done better in a 5 year window?

What have we accomplished in this 5 year window? 

At this point Bergevin's philosophy of building through the draft  should be paying off... but guess what, this team literally has no prospects. It's all bullshit. 

This team has no identity and no direction. 

What do people consider the make up of this team to be? We use to be fast and rely on a quick transition... Now what?  The d-core couldn't be slower if they tried. At the deadline we added 3 hulking players... like wtf is the identity of this team. Bergevin's compass is sitting on a magnet 

5 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

At this point Bergevin's philosophy of building through the draft  should be paying off... but guess what, this team literally has no prospects. It's all bullshit. 

Bergevin didn't build through the draft.

At all.

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

This team has no identity and no direction. 

What do people consider the make up of this team to be? We use to be fast and rely on a quick transition... Now what?  The d-core couldn't be slower if they tried. At the deadline we added 3 hulking players... like wtf is the identity of this team. Bergevin's compass is sitting on a magnet 

Bob built this team through the draft. Marc inherited a young core of players that his job was to add to and turn into cup contenders and/or cup champions.

in his 5 years has he done that?? No he has not. He has made a lot of bold moves over the last year and a half that so fare hasn't paid off. Which is why I made the topic because if we don't win next year then it could be the end of him based on the gamble moves he has made.