Lefebvre will be Laval Rocket's 1st Coach

DON

17 minutes ago, Habsfan1989 said:

This is only do to the fact that he is French and from Montreal. 

No, it's because he's friends with Bergevin.

There are several way better coaches who are French and from Quebec who would be better for the job. It isn't like nobody is available. This is all because he's in the old boys network.

I remember a time when we seemed to have one of the best drafting and development systems in the league, and an organization that seemed to be forward-thinking.  Nowadays we seem to be rooted in the past, like the Burke and Nonis-era Leafs who were such a laughing stock.  We used to have AHL coaches that were poached for head-coaching duties in the NHL, now we have Lefebvre who no one will touch with a ten foot pole and whose job security can only be explained by his friendship with Bergevin.  

40 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He made the Habs wait. He ran around the league trying to get an assistant job in the NHL. Once he got shut out, he told the Habs he would return. And they signed him. 

I have no issue what he did.  The issue I have is his ass should have been fired last year and he should never have gotten the opportunity to be back.

46 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He made the Habs wait. He ran around the league trying to get an assistant job in the NHL. Once he got shut out, he told the Habs he would return. And they signed him. 

Most people without a job, just supposed to sit home and twiddle their thumbs?

Guest Stogey24
17 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

No, it's because he's friends with Bergevin.

There are several way better coaches who are French and from Quebec who would be better for the job. It isn't like nobody is available. This is all because he's in the old boys network.

That's exactly it. 

It's the same thing with JJ. Him and Bergevin are buds 

It's of a piece with the Habs' general transmutation into the 1990s Toronto Maple Leafs: a veteran team on the ice that is competitive but not good enough to win anything, a management team that doesn't have a clue about developing talent (which is what led directly to the Leafs being bottom feeders for the first decade of this century), and movers and shakers who are more interested in protecting their own egos, their pals, and their own organizational position than in doing whatever it takes to win. Meanwhile the revenues pour in like gangbusters, so everyone is happy *except* people who care about winning championships. And as with the Leafs of that era, a critical mass of fans are unable to see the big picture and recognize that the organization is rotting from the inside out. It's pathetic.

• Upvote 2

This organization right now reminds me of the leafs when they would develop no one, Trade there picks and prospects for older players, Before we had the cap.

we are in trouble once our core group get too old and past there prime. We have no one to replace them.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's of a piece with the Habs' general transmutation into the 1990s Toronto Maple Leafs: a veteran team on the ice that is competitive but not good enough to win anything, a management team that doesn't have a clue about developing talent (which is what led directly to the Leafs being bottom feeders for the first decade of this century), and movers and shakers who are more interested in protecting their own egos, their pals, and their own organizational position than in doing whatever it takes to win. Meanwhile the revenues pour in like gangbusters, so everyone is happy *except* people who care about winning. It's pathetic.

Lol you were faster then me with your post. Was thinking along the same lines.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I have no issue what he did.  The issue I have is his ass should have been fired last year and he should never have gotten the opportunity to be back.

Neither do I. It's more that the Montreal Canadiens... THE MONTREAL CANADIENS... THE COUNT 24 STANLEY CUPS, CITY ON THE CUP MORE TIMES THAN ANY OTHER CITY, THE MONTREAL CANADIENS... waited for Sylvain Lefebvre to try to find a new job elsewhere, and then happily re-signed him after his past five years of performances, to handle their AHL organization. 

This team waited patiently for mediocrity. 

15 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Neither do I. It's more that the Montreal Canadiens... THE MONTREAL CANADIENS... THE COUNT 24 STANLEY CUPS, CITY ON THE CUP MORE TIMES THAN ANY OTHER CITY, THE MONTREAL CANADIENS... waited for Sylvain Lefebvre to try to find a new job elsewhere, and then happily re-signed him after his past five years of performances, to handle their AHL organization. 

This team waited patiently for mediocrity. 

Are you really surprised given the direction MB is taking this team?

from his early decisions on the job he has taken the path to mediocrity.  He is thinking building a team like it is 1995, or early 2000's.  Stock up on grit and experience without any consideration to the cap and play hardball with your young players

Tired of hearing the Leafs comparisons. We ice a more competitive team every year outside of 2 seasons in recent memory than they did throughout the compared era. We are not like the Leafs. 

We are not like the Oilers who didn't make the playoffs for a decade. We are not Calgary who never has the goaltending to get over the hump. We are not Winnipeg who no one ever really believes has a chance. We are not Ottawa who were more of a Cinderella story than we would have been last season. And we are not yet Vancouver who seems to rely on an even older core than ours.

We are closest to the Vancouver that made the final with Luongo than any other comparison out there of recent Canadian teams. For years, I felt as though Vancouver and Montreal were the cream of Canadian teams and in fact they seem to have fallen harder than us in recent years.

Ironically, many of those teams (Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary) have gone further than the Habs in the 21st century but the Leafs haven't and if we have anything on each of those teams it IS consistency in icing a competitive team most years. I hope for a cup next season but if and when we lose in say the conference final next year, we can just forget that 27 teams did worse than us and complain because we are the proud and special Montreal Canadiens and "deserve more" than the other kids. 

29 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Tired of hearing the Leafs comparisons. We ice a more competitive team every year outside of 2 seasons in recent memory than they did throughout the compared era. We are not like the Leafs. 

We are not like the Oilers who didn't make the playoffs for a decade. We are not Calgary who never has the goaltending to get over the hump. We are not Winnipeg who no one ever really believes has a chance. We are not Ottawa who were more of a Cinderella story than we would have been last season. And we are not yet Vancouver who seems to rely on an even older core than ours.

We are closest to the Vancouver that made the final with Luongo than any other comparison out there of recent Canadian teams. For years, I felt as though Vancouver and Montreal were the cream of Canadian teams and in fact they seem to have fallen harder than us in recent years.

Ironically, many of those teams (Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary) have gone further than the Habs in the 21st century but the Leafs haven't and if we have anything on each of those teams it IS consistency in icing a competitive team most years. I hope for a cup next season but if and when we lose in say the conference final next year, we can just forget that 27 teams did worse than us and complain because we are the proud and special Montreal Canadiens and "deserve more" than the other kids. 

Umm,  Calgary went to the finals on the back of their goaltender and lost in game 7.

The absolute s@!t results when it comes to developing young talent will continue then....just great.  How in the hell is our owner so clueless that he can't see what's going on right under his nose?!

30 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Toronto during that time in the 90's I believe made the final four 4 times just could never get into the finals. In the 8 years only missed the playoffs once. The leafs in the 80's were very bad and no direction. The leafs in the 90's traded away the young guys and there draft picks because they always believed they were 1 player away. Just like the habs now. That is why people keep comparing the 2 teams.