Development Camp Roster

dlbalr

While Marc Bergevin and his staff will be busy in free agency, the Habs will be holding their Development Camp from July 2nd-5th. 

Here's the full roster: https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/canadiens-announce-development-camp-roster/c-290207390

A few invites of note:

C Scott Conway - Born in England, he started his NCAA career late and just finished his freshman season despite the fact he's now 22.  He absolutely destroyed the BCHL in 2015-16, scoring 56 goals and 60 assists in 56 games (albeit as an overager).

RW Maxime Fortier - He was at the last development camp but went unsigned.  He had another strong junior season but went unclaimed through the draft once again.  As a late '97, he's eligible to turn pro.  Of the invites here, I'd suggest he's the most likely to get an NHL deal (though I imagine they'd prefer to offer an AHL one).

C Alexandre Goulet - Another one who was at the last camp as well, Goulet led Victoriaville in scoring by a country mile last season.  He's 21 and will likely land a minor league deal somewhere.  Considering they've stated their goal is to stock Laval with locals, he's probably a candidate to sign.

D Jimmy Schuldt - He's had interest from teams the last two years to turn pro but has declined each time.  I'd be quite pleased if they could convince Schuldt (who played with Ryan Poehling at St. Cloud State) to sign now but at the very least, maybe they can make a positive impression in case he decides to turn pro in March.

Worth noting, there are a total of three invites from St. Cloud excluding Poehling so clearly there's something about that program that Timmins and his staff likes.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

While Marc Bergevin and his staff will be busy in free agency, the Habs will be holding their Development Camp from July 2nd-5th. 

Here's the full roster: https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/canadiens-announce-development-camp-roster/c-290207390

A few invites of note:

C Scott Conway - Born in England, he started his NCAA career late and just finished his freshman season despite the fact he's now 22.  He absolutely destroyed the BCHL in 2015-16, scoring 56 goals and 60 assists in 56 games (albeit as an overager).

RW Maxime Fortier - He was at the last development camp but went unsigned.  He had another strong junior season but went unclaimed through the draft once again.  As a late '97, he's eligible to turn pro.  Of the invites here, I'd suggest he's the most likely to get an NHL deal (though I imagine they'd prefer to offer an AHL one).

C Alexandre Goulet - Another one who was at the last camp as well, Goulet led Victoriaville in scoring by a country mile last season.  He's 21 and will likely land a minor league deal somewhere.  Considering they've stated their goal is to stock Laval with locals, he's probably a candidate to sign.

D Jimmy Schuldt - He's had interest from teams the last two years to turn pro but has declined each time.  I'd be quite pleased if they could convince Schuldt (who played with Ryan Poehling at St. Cloud State) to sign now but at the very least, maybe they can make a positive impression in case he decides to turn pro in March.

Worth noting, there are a total of three invites from St. Cloud excluding Poehling so clearly there's something about that program that Timmins and his staff likes.

This is why I come to HW! 

Where else can you find someone wax poetically about guys you ain't never even heard of, eh?!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Habsfan1989 said:

Why do we need a development camp for?? We don't develop players away.

I'm assuming there's some sarcasm here but this camp isn't just about on-ice development.  They do courses on cooking, financial planning, stuff like that on top their drills on the ice.  That's a benefit for Montreal's prospects who have just turned pro (or will within the next year or two) while they get a bit of a closer look at some undrafted guys their scouts like.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like Ikonen has been stand out at camp, as has Evans and Juulsen...meanwhile Scherbak supposedly has sucked badly and seems 'disinterested'.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There was nothing in the article on Scherbak...   just had to give him a thumbs down for what reason?

Report of female reporter (name?) TSN 690 who is watching scrimmages said Scherbak's play has been less than impressive (Juulsen picking his pocket for instant goal against), when he should be head and shoulders above most of these guys.

Edited by DON
add bit

ok  but there is this

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/prospects/2017/7/4/15917784/thoughts-impressions-montreal-canadiens-development-camp-habs-prospects-highlights-scherbak-poehling

"The first thing that stood out to me is that Nikita Scherbak was the most talented player on the ice. He just looked better than everyone else. However, there were times when he tried to do too much and that ended with him turning the puck over. But Jake Evans and Scherbak were a dynamic duo almost every time they were on the ice.

They both had several scoring chances and created two-on-one rushes throughout the game. Scherbak also helped Evans draw a penalty with a pass that led him on a rush, but Evans was hauled down. The fact that Evans, a 2014 seventh-round pick, didn’t look out of place confirms my thought that he’s among the top forward prospects in the organization."

and he's also spending the summer in Montreal working with the Habs strength and conditioning staff again, saying that it improved him a lot last year and he wants to make another jump next year. 

He's still 21 years old.... I don't think we should panic at this point. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

ok  but there is this

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/prospects/2017/7/4/15917784/thoughts-impressions-montreal-canadiens-development-camp-habs-prospects-highlights-scherbak-poehling

"The first thing that stood out to me is that Nikita Scherbak was the most talented player on the ice. He just looked better than everyone else. However, there were times when he tried to do too much and that ended with him turning the puck over. But Jake Evans and Scherbak were a dynamic duo almost every time they were on the ice.

They both had several scoring chances and created two-on-one rushes throughout the game. Scherbak also helped Evans draw a penalty with a pass that led him on a rush, but Evans was hauled down. The fact that Evans, a 2014 seventh-round pick, didn’t look out of place confirms my thought that he’s among the top forward prospects in the organization."

and this

Yes Evans supposed had super game. Lets say I obviously hope for best for Nicky; but, lets say I just don't have a warm fuzzy feeling he will ever be an impact top six winger, but thanks for other report. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Scherbak has two goals already. 

I wonder what camp he sucks at 690 has to say. 

This is what Scherbak had to say;

He has been engaged and breezing through the skills portion of development camp, but admits when it comes to the scrimmages he hasn’t been at his best.