Free Agent Day Thread

dlbalr

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

If you trade Pleks, and give Markov 2 years the problem is you have no space for Price's extension. 

Plek coming off the books is Price's money.

If Plek is moved to make room, great, but Markov better be 1 year so that there is room for Price's money. 

It's pretty effing ridiculous they're hamstringing the team in maybe its last year to make some real noise to break the bank on a 32 year old, oft injured, never won nuthin' goalie who will be four seasons away from his best year. 

49 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Bergevin's press conference is at 3 PM EST - will there be any news on Markov, Radulov, or Price by then?

Maybe he is going to announce his resignation? ^_^

What I'm fearing is that Radu and Markov want more $$$ or term than he wants and has given them their final offers...and both players have rejected the offers. I'm sure he is trying to unload some salary to make room for everyone but I'm not sure that will happen.

I hope he has something great to announce and that this is not the team that will be playing next year! If this is it then we will be a worse team than last year by far.

Are we going to move closer to a cup this summer or closer to a complete rebuild?

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Maybe he is going to announce his resignation? ^_^

What I'm fearing is that Radu and Markov want more $$$ or term than he wants and has given them their final offers...and both players have rejected the offers. I'm sure he is trying to unload some salary to make room for everyone but I'm not sure that will happen.

I hope he has something great to announce and that this is not the team that will be playing next year! If this is it then we will be a worse team than last year by far.

Are we going to move closer to a cup this summer or closer to a complete rebuild?

He's hot too much of an ego to resign.  My dream is that Molson listening to his excuses finally has enough and in the middle of the press conference goes all Trump and says "you're fired!"  

The sad thing is that at this point, this dream is much more realistic than the Habs winning another cup.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It's actually less when you factor in that players like Hudon and de la Rose are likely to make the roster.  I've got them at a max of $14 million to spend and that doesn't even include the $1-$1.5M wiggle room they'd probably like to keep to start the season.  They can't afford to sign all three as things currently stand.

Supposedly they made final offers to both Markov and Radulov.  Does this mean whichever one agrees they just drop the other?  Or did the low ball one of them (Markov?)?

2 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

Supposedly they made final offers to both Markov and Radulov.  Does this mean whichever one agrees they just drop the other?  Or did the low ball one of them (Markov?)?

Based on what I heard in the press conference, this is the situation.  At the offers they made, Bergevin thinks they can sign both.  At the money they're asking for, they can only sign one.  (I still find it hard to believe there's the cap room for both on what they deem competitive offers.)

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Based on what I heard in the press conference, this is the situation.  At the offers they made, Bergevin thinks they can sign both.  At the money they're asking for, they can only sign one.  (I still find it hard to believe there's the cap room for both on what they deem competitive offers.)

$5m & $6m for the two is not doable this year?

6 minutes ago, DON said:

$5m & $6m for the two is not doable this year?

By my calculations, they have an absolute maximum of $14 million to spend (and that doesn't even consider a cushion to stay under to start the season).  If they give $11 million to Markov/Radulov, that leaves $3 million at max for Galchenyuk and he's not taking that.

46 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

By my calculations, they have an absolute maximum of $14 million to spend (and that doesn't even consider a cushion to stay under to start the season).  If they give $11 million to Markov/Radulov, that leaves $3 million at max for Galchenyuk and he's not taking that.

Well, that sucks.

What kind of deal can we expect Galchenyuk to sign for?

43 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I thank Radulov comes back. Markov is donezo 

That's my thought as well.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, that sucks.

The only way I can see it work is if they throw a one year bonus-laden deal at Markov (say a $2.5 M base and another $2.5M in reasonable incentives).  The problem with that is the bonus overage it would create for 2018-19 which will make it even harder to work Price's new deal in.

34 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's my thought as well.

The only way I can see it work is if they throw a one year bonus-laden deal at Markov (say a $2.5 M base and another $2.5M in reasonable incentives).  The problem with that is the bonus overage it would create for 2018-19 which will make it even harder to work Price's new deal in.

dump shaw and pleks is the answer. We could use  some sticks and pucks....... Dont have to be new. How about 10 sticks and 12 pucks for each of them?

1 minute ago, Neech said:

That's a lot of term for Marleau, risky deal.  

Very risky.  He turns 38 in September which means he'll be 41 at the end of this contract. 

Dallas was another team in on him so they may up the ante on Radulov now.

I want Radulov back and Chucky back. But then they're at 8 top 9 wingers. Julien going to have Lehkonen and Shaw on the 4th line?

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Very risky.  He turns 38 in September which means he'll be 41 at the end of this contract. 

Dallas was another team in on him so they may up the ante on Radulov now.

No one seems to believe he'll play all 3 years.

38 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Odd move...is TO  shifting from 'rebuild' to 'winning' mode already?

so much for the patience route

33 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Damn, Kuznetzov cashed in 

I thought he'd be the dark horse candidate for an offer sheet given their cap situation but that contract would have been a 4 x 1st rounder cost.

Marleau isn't normal though. He's like Alzner in that he plays every game. He can still skate with some of the horses in the league as well. I didn't believe in them as stated in another thread due to their youth but I'm excited if I'm a Leafs fan for the first time in awhile.

I'm also glad they didn't sign both Thornton and Marleau. I would have hated the Leafs so much.