Free Agent Day Thread

dlbalr

3 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Marleau isn't normal though. He's like Alzner in that he plays every game. He can still skate with some of the horses in the league as well. I didn't believe in them as stated in another thread but I'm excited if I'm a Leafs fan for the first time in awhile.

Alzner looks like he is damaged goods and no one is jumping at giving term and dollars to a defensive dman anymore

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Alzner looks like he is damaged goods and no one is jumping at giving term and dollars to a defensive dman anymore

Let's not pretend Montreal was the only team to offer Alzner a contract here (it wouldn't have taken that much to sign him if they were bidding against themselves).  Even if you concede that they may have had to give an extra year to get a deal done, that would mean there were other teams offering him four years.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'm not ecstatic about the Alzner signing. I almost started the second sentence about speed with "Ulike Alzner". He'll be solid and nothing more. Who knows maybe Alzner-Weber become a steady pair even though I didn't want it. 

I'd have to think it would be a huge coincidence if Alzner or Marleau miss any extended periods of time this season though. If we signed him when he became damaged good after not missing a regular season game since 2010, then I don't know what to say.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Let's not pretend Montreal was the only team to offer Alzner a contract here (it wouldn't have taken that much to sign him if they were bidding against themselves).  Even if you concede that they may have had to give an extra year to get a deal done, that would mean there were other teams offering him four years.

Sure.  Just like there were a number of teams that offered more money to David Clarkson.  How did that turn out?

Just because a couple of GM's are stupid and want to jump off the cap cliff, doesn't mean you need to join them.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Sure.  Just like there were a number of teams that offered more money to David Clarkson.  How did that turn out?

All I was responding to was your assertion that "no one is jumping at giving term and dollars to a defensive dman anymore".  Unless you think the Habs were the only team willing to offer him a contract (which it doesn't sound like is the case), then there are other teams that were willing to offer term and money to a stay-at-home defenceman.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Chris said:

Why is Alzner damaged goods? He hasn't missed a regular season game in many many years

He broke a bone in his right hand during the playoffs but he's not damaged goods.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JGC21 said:

With Marleau gone from SJ could Jumbo Joe be next?

He signed with SJ 1yr 6.5M

5 minutes ago, nihilz said:

He signed with SJ 1yr 6.5M

No he hasn't.  He told SJ he would come back on a one year deal but the paperwork hasn't been filed yet.  

Marleau has now signed with TOR so it could get interesting.

Bergevin basically told Markov and Radulov that they are pricing one another out. He can only sign one of them at their demands. Or they accept his proposals and they are both back.

24 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Bergevin basically told Markov and Radulov that they are pricing one another out. He can only sign one of them at their demands. Or they accept his proposals and they are both back.

At this point, we have to pray they both come back and a deal gets inked for #27...that's the best case scenario at this late stage in the game.  We'd be going with what was basically last year's team plus Drouin on offense, and Benn/Alzner in place of Emelin/Nate.  Still weak down the middle perhaps, but if Galchenyuk can have a resurgence at center we'd be pretty good overall.

4 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

At this point, we have to pray they both come back and a deal gets inked for #27...that's the best case scenario at this late stage in the game.  We'd be going with what was basically last year's team plus Drouin on offense, and Benn/Alzner in place of Emelin/Nate.  Still weak down the middle perhaps, but if Galchenyuk can have a resurgence at center we'd be pretty good overall.

Yea getting both would be great but as Galchenyuk is not a center. The wing depth is.. too good?

Pacioretty           Radulov

Drouin             Galchenyuk

Byron               Gallagher

Lehkonen             Shaw

Hudon              McCarron

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Marleau isn't normal though. He's like Alzner in that he plays every game. He can still skate with some of the horses in the league as well. I didn't believe in them as stated in another thread due to their youth but I'm excited if I'm a Leafs fan for the first time in awhile.

His analytics are a third liner given first line ice time.

3 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Yea getting both would be great but as Galchenyuk is not a center. The wing depth is.. too good?

Pacioretty           Radulov

Drouin             Galchenyuk

Byron               Gallagher

Lehkonen             Shaw

Hudon              McCarron

One of galchenyuk/drouin/shaw will play c... and i doubt its shaw.

Mccarron is also a better c than w.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Well thats the answer. Play all three of them on one line and with their powers combined.. we have a center.

From the Bergevin interviews imo they have zero hope of Galchenyuk playing center. Bergevin was very aloof when asked about Drouin and Julien seemed very cautious. Shaw just doesn't have the motor to play center and his aggressive play makes him a liability at times. Im not sold that Bergevin is done. The dominoes will fall now that Price is signed.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Mccarron is also a better c than w.

I hope you're right, but I think MB will move galchenyuk 

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I hope you're right, but I think MB will move galchenyuk 

My source says if radulov leaves there is no way galchenyuk moves.  Bergevin knows he needs offence.

If radulov stays he might shop hin for a d but no one has offered anything close to what bergevin considers value.

Ill also point out alzner is worth it.

He starts transition even if he doesnt get points.

His first pass percentage was 12th in the nhl last year.  He moves the puck well.

He also matched up against elite lines.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I see the d lining up like this if markov leaves

Schlemko vs jerabek camp battle - weber

Alzner - petry

Loser of camp battle - benn

Davidson

I could see Bergevin picking up a Gelinas or Beachemin. Im not too sure he's sold on Jerabek. At today's presser he was asked if they viewed Jerabek as a viable option to play with Weber. He wasn't reassuring. Sounded more like Jerabek is going to battle to guarontee himself a roster spot.

10 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

It's pretty effing ridiculous they're hamstringing the team in maybe its last year to make some real noise to break the bank on a 32 year old, oft injured, never won nuthin' goalie who will be four seasons away from his best year. 

Price isnt any of those things.  You even got the age wrong

• Upvote 1