Free Agent Day Thread

dlbalr

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I can't believe if MB wanted to roll the dice on a player, he would go with a useless turd like hemsky, rather than a young player like yakapov.  Yakapov still has upside, hemsky is done.

Yakupov:

2012-13: 48 GP, 31 points

2013-14: 63 GP, 24 points

2014-15: 81 GP, 33 points

2015-16: 60 GP, 23 points

2016-17: 40 GP, 9 points

Total: 292 GP, 120 points (0.411 PPG)

Hemsky:

2012-13: 38 GP, 20 points

2013-14: 75 GP, 43 points

2014-15: 76 GP, 32 points

2015-16: 75 GP, 39 points

2016-17: 15 GP, 7 points

Total: 279 GP, 141 points (0.505 PPG)

If Hemsky is useless, what's Yakupov, a player who has produced less and been a repeated healthy scratch for the last couple of seasons?  I'm not saying Hemsky's a great player here (he's not) but Yakupov is terrible.  Upside is a buzzword for young players but a young, bad player doesn't have upside...he's just bad.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

UFA 

Actually, he'd still be an RFA (with arbitration rights).  This is year six for him, you need seven to become a Group 3 UFA.

• Upvote 1

I'll never understand Yakupov's struggles in the NHL. He was so good in Sarnia. I understand why people want to bring him in and hope he turns a corner. But if Galchenyuk is shoved into the fourth line by Julien in the playoffs, how do you see Yak having any luck in Montreal?

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

RFA if qualified by the Avs

https://capfriendly.com/players/nail-yakupov

That sucks.  I really think this kid will put it together.

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I'll never understand Yakupov's struggles in the NHL. He was so good in Sarnia. I understand why people want to bring him in and hope he turns a corner. But if Galchenyuk is shoved into the fourth line by Julien in the playoffs, how do you see Yak having any luck in Montreal?

He was good in his first year - Calder candidate.  Than the oilers brilliant coaching carousel happened.  Than his 2nd chance is playing for Hitchcock- who even Brett hull struggled and butted heads with.

32 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yakupov:

2012-13: 48 GP, 31 points

2013-14: 63 GP, 24 points

2014-15: 81 GP, 33 points

2015-16: 60 GP, 23 points

2016-17: 40 GP, 9 points

Total: 292 GP, 120 points (0.411 PPG)

Hemsky:

2012-13: 38 GP, 20 points

2013-14: 75 GP, 43 points

2014-15: 76 GP, 32 points

2015-16: 75 GP, 39 points

2016-17: 15 GP, 7 points

Total: 279 GP, 141 points (0.505 PPG)

If Hemsky is useless, what's Yakupov, a player who has produced less and been a repeated healthy scratch for the last couple of seasons?  I'm not saying Hemsky's a great player here (he's not) but Yakupov is terrible.  Upside is a buzzword for young players but a young, bad player doesn't have upside...he's just bad.

Actually, he'd still be an RFA (with arbitration rights).  This is year six for him, you need seven to become a Group 3 UFA.

Yakapov out scored hemsky as a rookie.  Since than he went through numerous coaching changes and his fresh start was with one of the toughest coaches for young players.  I'd take the flyer on him, over someone that is washed up and benefited from playing with spezza in dallas

Yakupov is garbage and is lucky that an NHL team gave him a contract, if you can call the Avalanche an NHL team. You'd think with all his skill and pedigree that every team would be banging down the door to get him. And they would also be genius enough to blame all of the coaches he had and not him.

Biggest bust in history. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yakapov out scored hemsky as a rookie.  Since than he went through numerous coaching changes and his fresh start was with one of the toughest coaches for young players.  I'd take the flyer on him, over someone that is washed up and benefited from playing with spezza in dallas

That's one out of five years where Yakupov was better.  The last four it has been Hemsky (three if you want to call 16-17 a wash since neither played a lot).  I'm not against taking flyers on players but I'd like to take a shot on someone who might actually accomplish something.  Yakupov in all likelihood won't.  Coaching changes and whatnot aside, he's still a lazy floater whose offence alone isn't good enough to overcome his lack of talent in other areas.  If he wasn't a first overall pick, no one would be advocating for him at all.  It's going to be six years since he was drafted; at some point his draft slot needs to not factor into the equation.

Hemsky doesn't have much upside either but he could put up 25 points and it wouldn't be that surprising given what he's done the last few years.  I don't see Yakupov hitting that number unless they decide to gift him top line time for lack of a better option (he's going up against Andrighetto).

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Biggest bust in history. 

Don't try to erase Doug Wickenheiser.

Numero Uno for me will always be Brian Lawton.

(and Brett Lindros being taken in the first round just because of who his brother was. 32 points in 46 games in 1994 in the OHL was enough to take Eric's placenta 9th overall? 18th in scoring on his team? Worst.)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

How many times per day do you check online if Markov signed ?   I'd say about 3 to 4 times a day here.

That's what I was doing with Radulov.... That ended well :1gohabs:

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

How many times per day do you check online if Markov signed ?   I'd say about 3 to 4 times a day here.

Less time than I daydream of MB getting fired!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

In all honesty, everyday when i get home from work.

on weekends, every morning when I wake up and probably once more before dinner lol.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, why not?  He's a left defence player (something they're lacking in the minors at the moment) and he has a bit of upside.  There's nothing wrong with trying to add prospect depth.  I'd kick the tires on Kerfoot and Toninato as well.