Alzner Signs With Montreal

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's a bit less than I thought he'd get.  He'd fit in nicely with Petry as a second pairing guy.  I'm not sure he's a great fit with Weber though.

Maybe Julien is thinking that pairing would be like Seidenberg-Chara? I suppose if they don't sign Markov, it's 1.25 million off the cap. I don't know where he fits now, especially for 6 million.

6 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Maybe Julien is thinking that pairing would be like Seidenberg-Chara? I suppose if they don't sign Markov, it's 1.25 million off the cap. I don't know where he fits now, especially for 6 million.

Unless there's a cap-clearing move, I don't see how they can keep Markov as well (unless they let Radulov go and sign a much lesser forward to replace him).

5 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

This team is literally going to create no offense from the blue line 

Yeah. If we don't keep Markov, then I just don't get it. The entire league is moving in the direction of the transition game, driven from the back end. Montreal, meanwhile - despite having a dire need for offence - trades away one of the best puck-moving defencemen and then apparently allows a still-effective puck-mover to walk in favour of a shutdown guy. It's almost as though MB just doesn't believe defencemen should carry the puck or make creative plays from the back end. 

This makes a trade of Galy for a top-2 puck-mover significantly more likely IMHO.

Guest Stogey24
Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah. If we don't keep Markov, then I just don't get it. The entire league is moving in the direction of the transition game, driven from the back end. Montreal, meanwhile - despite having a dire need for offence - trades away one of the best puck-moving defencemen and then apparently allows a still-effective puck-mover to walk in favour of a shutdown guy. It's almost as though MB just doesn't believe defencemen should carry the puck or make creative plays from the back end. 

This makes a trade of Galy for a top-2 puck-mover significantly more likely IMHO.

Exactly. Bergevin is starting to scare me. 

1 minute ago, Stogey24 said:

Exactly. Bergevin is starting to scare me. 

I think it's fair to say this is the inevitable part of a GMs tenure where he starts making deals that are just bad, ostensibly to hold onto his job. But at this point, is anybody surprised Bergevin still wants a team that wins games 2-1?

Just now, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I think it's fair to say this is the inevitable part of a GMs tenure where he starts making deals that are just bad, ostensibly to hold onto his job. But at this point, is anybody surprised Bergevin still wants a team that wins games 2-1?

The only thing you can say is that this is at least a decent cap hit for the player, under the circumstances. But that's looking at the trees not the forest...:1vomit:

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The only thing you can say is that this is at least a decent cap hit for the player, under the circumstances. But that's looking at the trees not the forest...:1vomit:

MB: "Hey, I just got out from a terrible 4.5 million dollar cap hit. Oh, look!"

1 minute ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

MB: "Hey, I just got out from a terrible 4.5 million dollar cap hit. Oh, look!"

I think Alzner is a legit upgrade on Emelin, though. And that - not Markov - is who he is really replacing.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

If I were Bergevin I would have focused all of my energy on a forward core that can actually score. Your going to be paying  Carey atleast 10 mill. Let him alleviate the need to spend on defense

9 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Five more years of Shaw and now five years of Alzner.

UGH

And apparently NO more years of Radu or Markov; and I really think a Galy trade is coming before the deadline in return for a puck-moving blueliner. Even MB can't be so stupid as to not realize how serious a need his own dumb-ass moves have created.

Jesus, calm down people. 

Alzner is fine, he is younger, more mobile and plays a similar game to Emeilin, CJ likes those kinds of Dmen. 

Why does this mean they can't sign Radulov? Or Make a trade for a center? Or sign a center? 

1 minute ago, Chris said:

Jesus, calm down people. 

Alzner is fine, he is younger, more mobile and plays a similar game to Emeilin, CJ likes those kinds of Dmen. 

Why does this mean they can't sign Radulov? Or Make a trade for a center? Or sign a center? 

Yeah, he is an upgrade on Emelin. So framed, the move is fine.

What we're concerned about is Markov walking and the implications of that. Alzner is great as an upgrade on 74, stink-o as a substitute for 79.

Guest Stogey24
3 minutes ago, Chris said:

Jesus, calm down people. 

O Ya, your a level headed one on here 

Why the F&@&$$)$&@!!!!!! are we not even linked in rumours to ANY of the FA centres available?!

This is beyond a joke now

7 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Why the F&@&$$)$&@!!!!!! are we not even linked in rumours to ANY of the FA centres available?!

This is beyond a joke now

Bonino went to Nashville. I don't know if it was the right move for them since I think Sissons can be a 2C but he was probably the Habs better move to make. 

At this point the less moves the better. 

This is a decent upgrade on Emelin. $500k more for a helluva lot less turnovers and brain farts. We'll miss the hits, but as The Cucumber stated, he could stabilize the 2nd pairing quite well. Petry can take some more liberties offensively now.

• Upvote 1

Montreal didn't need an upgrade from Emelin. 

It's like everyone forgets two years ago he was barely a third pairing D. Therrien tried attaching him at Weber's hip but that didn't make him a top four D. 

The days of paying more than $2 million for a non offensive defenceman should be over. Alive and well in Montreal. And if Markov walks he will become Shea's new partner.