Alzner Signs With Montreal

Just now, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Bonino went to Nashville. I don't know if it was the right move for them since I think Sissons can be a 2C but he was probably the Habs better move to make. 

So sick of other teams---even Vegas-- being able to add C while we remain a donut team. And it seems like we are on the verge of being a donut team sans puck- moving D

42 minutes ago, Chris said:

Markov is one of my all time favorite habs players, but he isn't worth the 6 mill for 2 years that is reported he wants.

My thought process is moving more along these lines by the day.  Love Markov, but when you sign a guy who's getting old to a 2 year/6mil per contract based on his long tenure with the team and allow sentiment to influence your better judgement, you risk a situation like the Plex deal.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The only thing you can say is that this is at least a decent cap hit for the player, under the circumstances. But that's looking at the trees not the forest...:1vomit:

Not when you consider the term for a slow footed defensive dman.  Where's the fire bergevin thread?

3 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

My thought process is moving more along these lines by the day.  Love Markov, but when you sign a guy who's getting old to a 2 year/6mil per contract based on his long tenure with the team and allow sentiment to influence your better judgement, you risk a situation like the Plex deal.

So instead you sign a girardi 2.0 deal, albeit for less money.

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

So instead you sign a girardi 2.0 deal, albeit for less money.

I didn't say I loved the Alzner deal....I was just stating that I'm okay with them letting Markov walk if the price is too high.

56 minutes ago, Chris said:

Jesus, calm down people. 

Alzner is fine, he is younger, more mobile and plays a similar game to Emeilin, CJ likes those kinds of Dmen. 

Why does this mean they can't sign Radulov? Or Make a trade for a center? Or sign a center? 

What was schlemko than?

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

What was schlemko than?

Schlemko is a puck moving d-man with good speed and a small stature, who plays a finesse game.

Alzner is the complete opposite, He plays a heavy game, outworks the opposition in the corners, doesn't give an inch in front of the net and is good at puck retrieval. 

If Alzner plays with a good puck mover he will be effective. that said Schlemko belongs on the 3rd pair with Benn, they compliment eachother. Alzner belongs on the second pair with Petry, they also compliment eachother. We still need the ideal player to play on the top pair with Weber, that could be Markov short term if we keep him, or it will have to be some other avenue, either way Alzner isn't that guy.

To me, it's not so much letting Markov walk per se (although I think it's a shame he apparently won't end his fine career with us). It's more that we don't have quality offence/puck-moving from the back end. Between Markov's 40+ points and Beaulieu's 30, we've lost significant point production from the blueline. This on a team that can't score. So it doesn't have to be Markov...but surely it has to be someone?

As far as i'm concerned, Schlemko replaced Beaulieu for less and brings a similar game. Alzner replaced Emelin for similar dollars and a similar game but more effective.

Now its either Markov, or whoever is going to replace him, I keep seeing the mindset that Alzner is coming to replace Markov but he is not, He is replacing Emelin. We lost Emelin for nothing and we gained Alzner for nothing. Safe to say I'd rather have Alzner playing where Emelin was supposed to slot in all day any day.

Its easy to turn this signing negative by twisting it around as Alzner replacles Markov but that is insanity, they are completely different players. I doubt very seriously that MB thinks Alzner will slot in everywhere Markov did, on the top Pair, on the PP, and not play any PK. Look at it that way and ask yourself if it is even possible other than blinding yourself to biased levels of hate for MB, that he could possibly think that. Alzner is coming in to be a physical stay at home presence who can log huge minutes on the PK and eat minutes against top players when paired with a puck mover. Does that sound ANYTHING like what Markov would be asked to do if he was still here? or does it sound like what Emelin would be asked to do if he was still here? 

Come on guys..

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Habsfan1989 said:

Would you give rad 5 years or if he doesn't take the 4 years at 6mil we offered him let him walk??

i'd be willing to do 6 mill at 5 if it was literally down to that choice. If Radulov said his final counter offer was 6 mill for 5 years or I go to Dallas, i'd throw in the extra year and nothing more to make it happen.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Link67 said:

As far as i'm concerned, Schlemko replaced Beaulieu for less and brings a similar game. Alzner replaced Emelin for similar dollars and a similar game but more effective.

Now its either Markov, or whoever is going to replace him, I keep seeing the mindset that Alzner is coming to replace Markov but he is not, He is replacing Emelin. We lost Emelin for nothing and we gained Alzner for nothing. Safe to say I'd rather have Alzner playing where Emelin was supposed to slot in all day any day.

Its easy to turn this signing negative by twisting it around as Alzner replacles Markov but that is insanity, they are completely different players. I doubt very seriously that MB thinks Alzner will slot in everywhere Markov did, on the top Pair, on the PP, and not play any PK. Look at it that way and ask yourself if it is even possible other than blinding yourself to biased levels of hate for MB, that he could possibly think that. Alzner is coming in to be a physical stay at home presence who can log huge minutes on the PK and eat minutes against top players when paired with a puck mover. Does that sound ANYTHING like what Markov would be asked to do if he was still here? or does it sound like what Emelin would be asked to do if he was still here? 

Come on guys..

if markov leaves and all we get is alzner, who is being replaced?  

With respect to Schlemko, he is a bottom pairing guy.  Emelin should have been a bottom pairing guy hence the schlemko reference.

2 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Just feels wrong without 79 coming back.

That feels impossible. Markov is Montreal if anybody is. Life is tough..

25 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Come on guys..

You got me feeling a lot better. I want to see Markov still playing for the Habs in his '80's.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Not a horrible deal (though we will likely all hate it by Year Five). Not a horrible signing. The question is just what our #2 D will be when all is said and done. We do not yet have sufficient context to know how this signing fits in.

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

Come on guys..

Best post I've read here in a long time!  In a sea of negativity and chicken little thinking practised here, this is a shining example of level headed reasoning and unbiased logic.  What a better forum this would be with this type of attitude instead of the whining bitch fests that are found all too often here.  You get a +1 from me.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

I would echo the sentiment of 'calm down'... before the end of this weekend, MTL's top-4 will be:

Markov - Weber

Alzner - Petry

Which is no doubt an upgraded one over last season, is that not the goal? to be better than the previous year and give yourself a better chance to win year after year?

As long as I keep seeing that when each training camp hits year after year, then I will keep the pitch fork away.

3 hours ago, Link67 said:

Come on guys..

He didn't replace Emelin because we didn't need another Emelin...unless we're talking about purely physical play, where Alzner can't help us. 

This is what happens when a team doesn't develop players, they take on another team's turds to get one or two good years of a need that should be filled from within. 

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

DDqg5-WW0AAeOn6.jpg

This is the Twitter account where this came from: https://twitter.com/MikeKellyNHL

Well Jesus this makes me feel better! Thank you for this

I think the commonly used hockey statistics as of today (even the typical shot volume advanced ones) are still lacking compared to other sports like baseball where the different facets of the game can evaluated and compared quite easily today