Alzner Signs With Montreal

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The following excerpt sums up how out of touch MB is from the rest of the league:

One might be the loneliest number, but it was also the most popular on the first day of NHL free agency.

From Chris Kunitz and Patrick Sharp to Scott Hartnell and Mike Cammalleri, about 25 players (not including RFAs and minor-leaguers) received new deals that will expire quicker than a carton of milk. Another 15 or so lucky ones were able to squeeze a second year out of their future bosses.

But with the exception of the Montreal Canadiens, who gave five years and US$23.125 million to Karl Alzner and a day later locked up Carey Price for eight years and $84 million, most teams clammed up and had commitment issues this year.

you can argue Toronto is also an exception, but in their case and cap situation I think the Marleau signing is warranted that add experience to an extremely young lineup and have cap flexibility.

MB on the other hand is a clueless hamster on the wheel

That kind of ignores washington giving term to orlov and kuznetsov, san jose giving term to vlassic and jones, the ducks giving term to fowler.  But sure its only montreal.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That kind of ignores washington giving term to orlov and kuznetsov, san jose giving term to vlassic and jones, the ducks giving term to fowler.  But sure its only montreal.

There's a difference in giving term to a 25 year old Kuznetsov or fowler in their prime.  I have no problem locking up young players in their prime as RFA's, that's why I wanted Subban signed long term rather than go the bridge route.  It allows signing them at a lower cap hit, rather than pay them more than they are worth during their decking years.  

I dont like like the term on vlasic deal for a 30 year old, but at least he is considered one of the elite dman in the game and at least the cap hit is better than other dmen that are in that upper tier.   Dmen of that calibre are usually effective until they are 36.  Unlike Weber, vlasic isn't signed Shaw not his 40's.   Alzner isn't even close to being a comparable to vlasic.

27 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Alzner is only hardly old 

i wanted Fowler bad to play with weber... but

For a shot blocking defensive dman he is old.  In recent years, most have started their decline at 30 or 31

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

All of those were players resigning for their previous team. A better comparison would be if the Habs were to give term term to say, Radulov.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There's a difference in giving term to a 25 year old Kuznetsov or fowler in their prime.  I have no problem locking up young players in their prime as RFA's, that's why I wanted Subban signed long term rather than go the bridge route.  It allows signing them at a lower cap hit, rather than pay them more than they are worth during their decking years.  

I dont like like the term on vlasic deal for a 30 year old, but at least he is considered one of the elite dman in the game and at least the cap hit is better than other dmen that are in that upper tier.   Dmen of that calibre are usually effective until they are 36.  Unlike Weber, vlasic isn't signed Shaw not his 40's.   Alzner isn't even close to being a comparable to vlasic.

Alzner will be 33 when his contract ends.  Shaw 31.  

Price got term and goalies age well.

42 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

All of those were players resigning for their previous team. A better comparison would be if the Habs were to give term term to say, Radulov.

Price was a name that was brought up in the complaint.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Gallagher, Price, Weber and Alzner, all BC boys now locked up for next several years.

Benn & Juulsen are BC boys, too. Gallagher played for the Giants but is from Alberta. Along with Davidson, Schlemko & Morrow. With Lernout from Manitoba.

Habs definitely like their western Canadian boys.

8 hours ago, nihilz said:

Benn & Juulsen are BC boys, too. Gallagher played for the Giants but is from Alberta. Along with Davidson, Schlemko & Morrow. With Lernout from Manitoba.

Habs definitely like their western Canadian boys.

It's probably just a coincidence...but it does fit depressingly well with the idea that this is Team Fuddy Duddy.