Habs sign Joe Morrow

dlbalr

9 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Julien had to have had a part in this 

That was my first thought but at the same time, Julien made him a healthy scratch for I think 16 straight games last season.

I don't know what to make of this one.  Are they viewing him as a 7/8 that's going to stay on the NHL roster or are they looking at him as #1 in Laval (pending waivers) that's the first recall when injuries strike?

How many grunts do we need.  Just watched despicable me with the kids and the all I could think of is the habs have a roster full of minions 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

How many grunts do we need.  Just watched despicable me with the kids and the all I could think of is the habs have a roster full of minions 

Assuming the left side NHL D's at the moment are Alzner, Davidson, Schlemko, and Jerabek, that left the following depth under contract heading into free agency:

- Simon Bourque (AHL rookie)

- Tom Parisi (second year pro who struggled last year)
- Stefan Leblanc (AHL rookie, on AHL contract)

They needed help on that side in a huge way.  Taormina and Morrow (if he clears waivers - Taormina should without much issue) go a long way towards slotting in people at the appropriate spot on the depth chart.

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Assuming the left side NHL D's at the moment are Alzner, Davidson, Schlemko, and Jerabek, that left the following depth under contract heading into free agency:

- Simon Bourque (AHL rookie)

- Tom Parisi (second year pro who struggled last year)
- Stefan Leblanc (AHL rookie, on AHL contract)

They needed help on that side in a huge way.  Taormina and Morrow (if he clears waivers - Taormina should without much issue) go a long way towards slotting in people at the appropriate spot on the depth chart.

All of the players he's picked up are the type you should be able to develop within your organization.  We are taking about depth players.  These are the guys that a blind man should be able to draft and develop.

Mid he has to make that many moves to fill depth gaps after being here for five friggin year's, that is the biggest possible indictment that can be made against him.  You can argue that after 5 years they had bad luck not getting a few more elite players (an argument I don't buy), but as Balki would say that's absolutely ridiculous that MB has to fill this many holes after 5 years on the job. If this was year one or even two, Ok, l but after 5 years, most guys not named Milbury or Gary Snow would be getting fired.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Commandant said:

him vs Jerabek for the NHL vs AHL spots. 

Jerabek has the European Assignment Clause, I don't think Laval is really in the cards for him.  It's NHL or KHL most likely.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Is it possible Morrow has some untapped potential. 

His numbers is junior were really solid 

Another Beaulieu from same draft year; but has only been in 54 NHL games whereas Beaulieu has 225gms under his belt.

Claude had him for several years in Boston, so must have general idea if any upside. 

Guest Stogey24
1 minute ago, DON said:

Another Beaulieu from same draft year; but has only been in 54 NHL games whereas Beaulieu has 225gms under his belt.

Claude had him for several years in Boston, so must have general idea if any upside. 

Like dlbalr was saying though, he scratched him like 16 games last year 

3 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Like dlbalr was saying though, he scratched him like 16 games last year 

And would be quite sure he was consulted before Bergy signed him, but another very low risk signing.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, DON said:

Makes me think of Beaulieu.

I thought Beaulieu was going to be a superstar.

But then again.. I thought I was going to be a superstar.....:(