Price Signs 8 Year Extension

I don't mind the term, I was just hoping for a number closer to 9. More $$ to spend on some upgrades the team obviously needs. 

Just now, huzer said:

Would anyone consider that a hometown discount? Damn, I hope he stays healthy, and can play center.

No.  Highest paid goalie ever.  Too much cap space tied up in goal now.  What you factor in the backup, that's almost $12m.  

Considering its a Kane & Toews contract in 2017. Im okay with it. It could have been $12M. I was hoping for $9-9.5M. Its not the end of the world. I don't doubt he can have Roy, Brodeur, Belfour or Luongo longevity. 

By the time this contract is up. We'll be witnessing greatness and the cap hit won't even be in deliberation. 

5 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Considering its a Kane & Toews contract in 2017. Im okay with it. It could have been $12M. I was hoping for $9-9.5M. Its not the end of the world. I don't doubt he can have Roy, Brodeur, Belfour or Luongo longevity. 

By the time this contract is up. We'll be witnessing greatness and the cap hit won't even be in deliberation. 

Yeah, but Kane and toews got their contracts in large part on the basis of their cup wins.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This is a shitty deal for the team but MB had no choice. We need Price signed or traded for a kings ransom.

Deals like Shaw's hurt even more now.

But I'm happy to have Carey here for a long time.

I wouldn't be as concerned about the Price deal if we didn't have a gm who hands out both stupid term and $ for 3rd line character.  If you have your bottom 6 making $7 or $8m and your bottom pair D making $2m we'd be okay, but that's not the case.  The only really good contracts we have are Byron and maxpac.

• Upvote 1

This team has some bad contracts, has a few really good ones, Gallagher and Byron. It's not just Shaw. Plek's anyone? 

MB and Molson had to do it, With price they are pretty much a given to make the playoffs, extra playoff money for the owner. 

The problem i see is what is the team's direction, all we heard was build through the draft, they literally have not much in the high end prospect pool. 

They have some decent young talent on the team, and alot of older players. 

I assume MB is in the win now mode 

I was hoping he'd come in below 10, especially at an eight year term.  They're going to have to rely on a few more cheap contracts beyond this season to cover that.  (Lindgren's next deal becomes a bit more intriguing now to see how much below Montoya he comes in at.)

1 minute ago, Chris said:

This team has some bad contracts, has a few really good ones, Gallagher and Byron. It's not just Shaw. Plek's anyone? 

MB and Molson had to do it, With price they are pretty much a given to make the playoffs, extra playoff money for the owner. 

The problem i see is what is the team's direction, all we heard was build through the draft, they literally have not much in the high end prospect pool. 

If that's true about win now mode then he better somehow get Radu and Markov signed too or something similar. We are poor on defense and if Radu goes then we are no better up front either.

I think MB has us in a deep pit

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

The problem i see is what is the team's direction, all we heard was build through the draft, they literally have not much in the high end prospect pool

Not much??? We have nothing!!  The cupboards bear.  When he started the job we had a pretty decent prospect pool, now it's empty.

• Upvote 2

That's too much. He is a great goalie, but now we can't afford a team in front of him. Unless he is as durable and consistent going forward as Brodeur, this is going to look bad in years to come. 

So so much for the home town discount. We better hope for a huge cap increase in coming years. 

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If that's true about win now mode then he better somehow get Radu and Markov signed too or something similar. We are poor on defense and if Radu goes then we are no better up front either.

With that type of money, it's probably going to really force them to insist one on year tops for Markov.  They don't have many expiring contracts for next year (Plekanec is one and most of his cap hit will be needed to cover the increase for Price).

Weber

Alzner Petry

Schlemko Benn

Davidson Morrow

Jerabek Redmond

I have Pacioretty and Shaw on the block trying to fill that. At this point Ive come to term with Plek staying and the center position being an achilles heel until trade deadline.