Price Signs 8 Year Extension

Guest Stogey24
29 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, but Kane and toews got their contracts in large part on the basis of their cup wins.

I don't know why you got a -1 for that. Having won cups with a team is leverage in negotiations 

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

With that type of money, it's probably going to really force them to insist one on year tops for Markov.  They don't have many expiring contracts for next year (Plekanec is one and most of his cap hit will be needed to cover the increase for Price).

We really need JDLR to make Mitchell expendable. One of Shaw or Gallagher as 3RW. Unless Julien can make Shaw a full time center.

You know what? Who cares? Bergevin has never landed anybody really good in free agency and can't trade for what we need. Failed regime. If he saved money on Price's deal, Bergevin would blow it on third line grinders, second pairing dmen, and turds. Assuming that any solid NHL goalie costs 4-6 million at the cheapest.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lovett's Magnatones said:

DON downvotes any post he doesn't agree with.

That's some serious liberal snowflake type stuff right there...I wonder how old he is?

In 2012 Carey Price signed a 14 year $8.7M contract that would ensure his tenure with the Canadiens until the age of 38.

Who'd complain? Damn cap.

Just now, nihilz said:

In 2012 Carey Price signed a 14 year $8.7M contract that would ensure his tenure with the Canadiens until the age of 38.

Who'd complain?

The very stagnant cap number is very troubling now though, because it's clear that the NHL is going to experience very modest revenue growth at best for the foreseeable future.  Allocating that much of your cap to the goaltender position is a hell of a dangerous move IMO.

33 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

DON downvotes any post he doesn't agree with. That's ok. I down voted 15 of his posts today, the max. I'll fix his wagon.

This is really childish.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

As a player in this life, we all have to do dirt. But I never turned my guns on somebody that wasn't in the game. Only God can judge me.

Or maybe a moderator....

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nihilz said:

Weber

Alzner Petry

Schlemko Benn

Davidson Morrow

Jerabek Redmond

I have Pacioretty and Shaw on the block trying to fill that. At this point Ive come to term with Plek staying and the center position being an achilles heel until trade deadline.

I think galchenyuk is good as gone.  I can't see MB trading his critical acquisition from last year that is essential to get us through the playoffs- doesn't matter that he did squat this year - he's got 5 more years to prove himself 

That's a pretty significant long-term disadvantage against the cap.  I think Price will always have trade value, however, unless he somehow completely falls off a cliff.  We've seen goaltenders perform well into their late thirties.  This'll just make it that much more difficult to fix our glaring holes.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Price deserved his money.

The holes in the club will continue to be holes in the club regardless what Price makes.

Price honestly should have a cup right now. 

With the core numb nuts inherited, it shouldn't have taken much to put a legit contender together. 

"So next year Weber, Price, Petry and Alzner will eat almost 40% of Habs cap. Good luck with that".

2 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

As a player in this life, we all have to do dirt. But I never turned my guns on somebody that wasn't in the game. Only God can judge me.

He says while judging someone else...

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Neech said:

:gulp:

Gulp is right. 

I don't lnow why everyone is so surprised, though. Price is a superstar, superstars get paid. The Habs are nothing without him, so he had MB by the short-hairs big time.

• Upvote 1

I'm fine with Price and Weber making significant money. They are supposed to be top players. I think Weber is overrated but whatever. Top player. Top pay.

I'm fine with Drouin at $5.5 million. Galchenyuk too if he gets around that. Young players with lots of room to grow still. They have top player potential.

It's Alzner, Shaw, Plekanec, Petry, that's like $20 million for mediocrity. These are guys that will never be top guys (Plekanec used to be a first line guy but made more sense as a 2C) but get paid and term like they are not replaceable. That's the problem. 

Price getting a $4 million raise won't stop the Habs from acquiring a top centre, because it never stopped this team when he made $6.5 million. Same flawed team. 

13 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I'm fine with Price and Weber making significant money. They are supposed to be top players. I think Weber is overrated but whatever. Top player. Top pay.

I'm fine with Drouin at $5.5 million. Galchenyuk too if he gets around that. Young players with lots of room to grow still. They have top player potential.

It's Alzner, Shaw, Plekanec, Petry, that's like $20 million for mediocrity. These are guys that will never be top guys (Plekanec used to be a first line guy but made more sense as a 2C) but get paid and term like they are not replaceable. That's the problem. 

Price getting a $4 million raise won't stop the Habs from acquiring a top centre, because it never stopped this team when he made $6.5 million. Same flawed team. 

No, you're absolutely right. Heck, the Drouin contract could turn into a masterstroke if he becomes the player a lot of people pegged him to become. But this is the problem with having no talent pipeline: you have to overpay for what should be coming up cheap through the system. Cap management requires a thriving drafting/development system. The Habs are a joke in this area, and that is why we have all these bad contracts for 2nd- and 3rd-tier players.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No, you're absolutely right. Heck, the Drouin contract could turn into a masterstroke if he becomes the player a lot of people pegged him to become. But this is the problem with having no talent pipeline: you have to overpay for what should be coming up cheap through the system. Cap management requires a thriving drafting/development system. The Habs are a joke in this area, and that is why we have all these bad contracts for 2nd- and 3rd-tier players.

Shaw and Pleks have to go.

1 minute ago, habs rule said:

Shaw and Pleks have to go.

100%, and I can see him unloading Pleks. But I doubt that his ego will allow him to admit his mistake with Shaw. Besides, with whom do we replace Shaw? Where is the comparable talent in Laval?

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

100%, and I can see him unloading Pleks. But I doubt that his ego will allow him to admit his mistake with Shaw. Besides, with whom do we replace Shaw? Where is the comparable talent in Laval?

As far as I'm concerned a guy like Shaw is a dime a dozen at under $1m.  The extra $3m that MB is paying for are the cup rings.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

As far as I'm concerned a guy like Shaw is a dime a dozen at under $1m.  The extra $3m that MB is paying for are the cup rings.

I agree he's overpaid but he's better than a $1 million player.  A 24 year old forward coming off a 34 point season (26 and 39 the years before) isn't signing for under $1 million.