Price Signs 8 Year Extension

Shaw is about the only forward with grit and toughness. He is over paid a bit, but not much. 

CJ will use him much more effectively then MT ever did. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I agree he's overpaid but he's better than a $1 million player.  A 24 year old forward coming off a 34 point season (26 and 39 the years before) isn't signing for under $1 million.

Those are the guys you develop internally and let walk.  If Shaw had potential for more, you sign him.  But did anyone see Shaw as being anything more than he is - a 10 to 15 goal scorer?

Not surprised I'm glad it's not over 11. In the end I'm happy with this, at least we have him locked up long term.

This is close to the contract Hank got all things equal to cap the year it was given to him. Carey deserves it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

No.  Highest paid goalie ever.  Too much cap space tied up in goal now.  What you factor in the backup, that's almost $12m.  

When lundqvist signed he was 13.8% of cap... price is 14.1 today.  And the cap will go up before his contract kicks in.

The rangers made the final and another conference final with him.

You can build around a goalie.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

100%, and I can see him unloading Pleks. But I doubt that his ego will allow him to admit his mistake with Shaw. Besides, with whom do we replace Shaw? Where is the comparable talent in Laval?

If shaw is a 35-40 point guy with edge and front of thr net presence... (a point total he was on pace for sans injury) you can love with it.  Lots of people down on shaw but i dont think his contract is that bad.

Plekanecs contract is a disaster since he fell off a cliff.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

When lundqvist signed he was 13.8% of cap... price is 14.1 today.  And the cap will go up before his contract kicks in.

The rangers made the final and another conference final with him.

You can build around a goalie.

You can't bank on this anymore. The cap has basically been stagnant for years, with only the players escalator boosting it. And they didn't even do the full escalation this year, and are getting closer and closer to not at all. 

Just now, Trizzak said:

You can't bank on this anymore. The cap has basically been stagnant for years, with only the players escalator boosting it. And they didn't even do the full escalation this year, and are getting closer and closer to not at all. 

Yep and they are started big to get much more vocal about escrow

2 minutes ago, Neech said:

Is it even possible for us to dump Plek's contract?  If we're serious about icing a contender next year need to.

As long as your willing to give up picks. I think vegas would take it.  But if we are going to fill plex's cap space wit garbage, it's not worth wasting the picks

27 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

As long as your willing to give up picks. I think vegas would take it.  But if we are going to fill plex's cap space wit garbage, it's not worth wasting the picks

Vegas just acquired Krueger. No need for a third line centre. They got two now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

The cap would have gone up this without the escalator.  It would be 74 million (or up 1 million) based solely on revenues and no escalator.

The cap isnt going up hige amounts but is still growing slowly.

And thats fine.  If the rangers could get to the cup with lundqvist at 13.8%  habs caan build around prices 14% 

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

How was roy at that age? Brodeur? Hasek?

Elite goalies have traditionally aged well

Pretty sure none of them had serious knee problems either

It's a good contract. I get the fear with that number, but that's at least his value. I agree that the issue is with Plex and Shaw etc. Though I do believe the latter was signed with the expectation he was going to be a top-6 guy. 

2 hours ago, kaos said:

Pretty sure none of them had serious knee problems either

Do we know how serious his knees are? A lot of goalies have troubles with their knees, it comes with the job.

52 minutes ago, Commandant said:

People said Markov's knee problems doomed him.  How'd that work out health wise?

Markov wasn't the same player after his knee surgeries as he was before. Same as Emelin.

$10.5m against the cap for 8 years is a hard pill to swallow. Although there wasn't much else that could be done except to trade him. I just personally don't like having that much cap spent on a goalie. It just seems that any goalie can catch fire in the playoffs and that nullifies our Price advantage. I'd rather have a 10 million dollar center than goalie, especially because the Habs have a few intriguing goalie prospects in the system. 

• Upvote 1

Price gets a full no-move clause for all eight years of the contract.  It's worth noting that his salary (plus signing bonuses) for the first two years is $15 million which represents the maximum 20% of the cap that can be handed out at this time.