Price Signs 8 Year Extension

1 hour ago, DON said:

That's a very good article (right down to the comments about team decline at the end).

One of the funny things in hockey is the way some franchises retain certain qualities for generation after generation, even as management teams come and go and innumerable changes befall everyone. Boston has almost always had teams that play with some kind of chip on their shoulder. Edmonton has almost always had high-tempo skating clubs. Philly (except lately) has always had an 'intimidation' element. And Montreal has always, somehow, managed to have great goaltending - whether from genuine superstars like Price, Roy, Dryden, or the unjustly-overlooked Plante, or else from one-hit wonders like Steve Penney or Jaro Halak, who arrive just in time to lead the team on miracle runs. I know an older guy who is a Leafs' fan and he has never forgiven the Habs for this :lol:, arguing that much of their success has been an artificial product of freakish goaltending. (Funnily, he doesn't apply this logic to the 1967 Leafs, a middling club that rode a surreal combination of Bower/Sawchuk to defeat a significantly superior Habs club). Anyway - cherchez le gardien :habslogo: We're lucky to have Price, but we still need to give him a team that's good enough to contend even when his opposing number neutralizes the 'Price advantage.' Only then will the Habs win.

Just got back from Europe, so I'm a little late with my comment!  I was hoping for a cap hit under 10 million$, even though I knew it wasn't likely to happen. BUt at 10.5 million, I think it's a pretty good deal. 3 years from now, the cap will have increased by another 3 or 4million$ and Carey's contract will be easier to swallow.

In any case, like many have mentionned, Bergevin had to sign Carey. He would have never gotten equal value had he tried to trade him and we all saw what this team is like without Carey in nets two years ago. So good on bergevin for getting the deal done!

• Upvote 1