Ales Hemsky signs with Montreal

lazy26

52 minutes ago, lazy26 said:

One year, one way, $1M.

You gotta be friggin kidding me!!!  Another washed out turd.  And people were complaining about taking a flyer on yakapov or even grigerenko????

18 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Canadian NHL owners are idiots...they should have insisted for a cap adjustment to compensate for the tax climate during the CBA negotiations.  Canadian teams are at a significant disadvantage to many US teams...you have to pay a guy an extra 500k to 1 million per for his take-home pay to be equal.

I agree with this. The cap for each team should be relative to the taxes of that city.

16 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Canadian NHL owners are idiots...they should have insisted for a cap adjustment to compensate for the tax climate during the CBA negotiations.  Canadian teams are at a significant disadvantage to many US teams...you have to pay a guy an extra 500k to 1 million per for his take-home pay to be equal.

This would have been a good idea. However, it would have been complicated as all frak. Players earn their income for each game wherever the game is played.  So 50% of your tax burden goes to your home state/province+country. The other 50% depends greatly on your schedule. Florida may have low tax burdens (no idea, just an example), but Tampa and Miami have to play a lot of games in Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa - so they'd have to have an compensating salary cap advantage over a team in another division. The calculations required would make accountants and tax lawyers among the most sought after professions in the world.

48 minutes ago, lazy26 said:

He's definitely not a top-6 fwd anymore, but my Dallas friend says his two-way play is really underrated.

Y'know, when he's not on the IR healing his papier maché bones.

So basically the stars replace hemsky with radulov and we take this worthless turd????

47 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Lehkonen Plekanec Hemsky

Could be pretty nasty.

Yeah - for lekohnon!!!!

3 minutes ago, Colin said:

At this point and considering the quality of attackers out there, I wonder if the best bet is to throw things entirely at Julien and tell him to work magic. Sign Grigirenko and Yakupov on the cheap. Losing Radu is a big loss, but in the cap world I can see why Bergy had to limit his offer. Unfortunately the low quality of what's left makes me wonder if throwing as much poop at the wall to see if anything sticks might be a worthwhile endeavour. 

Grigs just signed with Moscow, so he's out. C'mon Fail for Nail! Sigh.

1 minute ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

This would have been a good idea. However, it would have been complicated as all frak. Players earn their income for each game wherever the game is played.  So 50% of your tax burden goes to your home state/province+country. The other 50% depends greatly on your schedule. Florida may have low tax burdens (no idea, just an example), but Tampa and Miami have to play a lot of games in Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa - so they'd have to have an compensating salary cap advantage over a team in another division. The calculations required would make accountants and tax lawyers among the most sought after professions in the world.

In a multi billion dollar industry, it shouldn't be hard

44 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Yea.. Rad is as good as gone. 

The deal itself for Hemsky is fine, even good outside of context.

within context, this sucks

I would have offered Rad or Markov the extra million.  This is just throwing away a $1m in cap space.

3 minutes ago, Colin said:

At this point and considering the quality of attackers out there, I wonder if the best bet is to throw things entirely at Julien and tell him to work magic. Sign Grigirenko and Yakupov on the cheap. Losing Radu is a big loss, but in the cap world I can see why Bergy had to limit his offer. Unfortunately the low quality of what's left makes me wonder if throwing as much poop at the wall to see if anything sticks might be a worthwhile endeavour. 

That's a fun idea, but in purely hockey terms the best thing we could do for our impotent offence is re-sign Markov. That should at least ensure that the team is able to maintain the unstoppable offensive powerhouse levels of last season

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hey, it's laugh or cry at this point...

I'm sure Don is doing his usual dance of joy that accompanies every MB move

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I would have offered Rad or Markov the extra million.  This is just throwing away a $1m in cap space.

Have to think this was part of plan b if Radu signed elsewhere. I think if Radu stays we don't sign Hemsky. 

Just now, Meller93 said:

In a multi billion dollar industry, it shouldn't be hard

The rest of the owners would still have to agree to it though.  24/31 owners probably aren't going to be overly enthusiastic about giving Canadian teams more cap room to work with.

As for the signing itself, I don't mind taking a flyer on Hemsky at that price.  What I hope is that they follow that up with another similar shot in the dark though.  If the change is to a by-committee approach, the Habs are going to need some more players who might be able to contribute that way.

1 minute ago, Colin said:

Have to think this was part of plan b if Radu signed elsewhere. I think if Radu stays we don't sign Hemsky. 

Signimg hemsky is the same as flushing $1m down the toilet.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Shaw for Kovalchuk?

Do you think MB would give up a character player like Shaw for a prima Donna like kovalchuk??  Even if he by some miracle did get a brain, do you think the devils would want to pay $3.9m to a turd like Shaw for another 5 years?

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

Do you think MB would give up a character player like Shaw for a prima Donna like kovalchuk??  Even if he by some miracle did get a brain, do you think the devils would want to pay $3.9m to a turd like Shaw for another 5 years?

So, you like it, too..? I don't not agree, much.

1 minute ago, nihilz said:

So, you like it, too..? I don't not agree, much.

I'd do it before the devils realize how stupid their being.  I think Shaw is the most overpaid Guy on the team.  But MB?  He'd say whose going to get us through the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Stogey24 said:

Could hemsky not have just been brought in on a pto? 

I can't think of any other team in North America who'd want him.

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'm sure Don is doing his usual dance of joy that accompanies every MB move

I've tried to support MB, defend him on here, but this is a big error..

The Hemsky signing is fine. A mil for one season.

But losing Radulov wastes the rest of the moves made... 

You trade Sergy for Drouin, but now Drouin just replaces Raddy so you've lost Sergy for nothing. 

The Drouin trade made tons of sense with the thought of Raddy also coming back. The team would be better offensively. 

Now, you're even again and down your best prospect. 

I'm guessing Galchenyuk stays now, but if they continue to misuse him then the season will still come down to how far the 84 million dollar goalie can carry the team.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's a good point, though...in terms of signings that could actually improve the team significantly, Kovalchuk is about all that's left

The asking price is there is 3 years at $6.5 M per.  That's a steep price and the Devils aren't willing to going to take a contract dump to accommodate it too.  If they couldn't afford Radulov (although it sounds like they gave him the same offer Dallas did), it's hard to think they can afford Kovalchuk at a higher salary.

Just now, Stogey24 said:

Could hemsky not have just been brought in on a pto? 

Maybe.  Nobody's signing PTO deals on day 3 of free agency though.