Ales Hemsky signs with Montreal

lazy26

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's a good point, though...in terms of signings that could actually improve the team significantly, Kovalchuk is about all that's left

Exactly and he's older and not going to command any crippling contract length. Hemsky slides 3RW at 1M. Shaw is a great player for a rebuilding team with young stars to influence.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

The asking price is there is 3 years at $6.5 M per.  That's a steep price and the Devils aren't willing to going to take a contract dump to accommodate it too.  If they couldn't afford Radulov (although it sounds like they gave him the same offer Dallas did), it's hard to think they can afford Kovalchuk at a higher salary.

Maybe.  Nobody's signing PTO deals on day 3 of free agency though.

I can't see any other team interested in a washout anyways.

37 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Canadian NHL owners are idiots...they should have insisted for a cap adjustment to compensate for the tax climate during the CBA negotiations.  Canadian teams are at a significant disadvantage to many US teams...you have to pay a guy an extra 500k to 1 million per for his take-home pay to be equal.

I would add the NMC clauses are very unfair to Canadian teams, especially Winnipeg. Nobody wants to play in Winnipeg.

Guest Stogey24
3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The asking price is there is 3 years at $6.5 M per.  That's a steep price and the Devils aren't willing to going to take a contract dump to accommodate it too.  If they couldn't afford Radulov (although it sounds like they gave him the same offer Dallas did), it's hard to think they can afford Kovalchuk at a higher salary.

Maybe.  Nobody's signing PTO deals on day 3 of free agency though.

I get that. I just don't understand the need for a guy who played 15 games last year

1 minute ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I would add the NMC clauses are very unfair to Canadian teams, especially Winnipeg. Nobody wants to play in Winnipeg.

Can you blame them??  I don't even want to GO Winnipeg.  Been to Regina once for work - hopefully won't have to ever go back

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I can't see any other team interested in a washout anyways.

Yet there are those advocating for Yakupov, who has washed out of two teams already and somehow had less goals than Hemsky did last year.  And there will be other veteran 'washout' players that sign this offseason, there always are.

Just now, Stogey24 said:

I get that. I just don't understand the need for a guy who played 15 games last year

I suspect Bergevin's approaching this as a low risk, medium reward situation.  Yes, he played 15 games due to hip surgery last season but the last three years before that, he had at least 32 points in each.  If he can do that (or close), it's decent value for secondary scoring.  (Whether that happens or not remains to be seen but I think that's the thought process here.)

1 minute ago, DON said:

I thought Hemsky was already retired or in KHL.

Oh well, another Semin-type signing.

Hemsky still has wheels. Hope he and Plek can find some chemistry.

13 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Hemsky still has wheels. Hope he and Plek can find some chemistry.

I'm  sure they will.  They will suck in unison 

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'm  sure they will.  They will suck in unison 

Maybe. Maybe not.

There is a solid chance that Rad gets old in a hurry. In a year or two that might be a terrible contact.  MB is leaving the option open to sign younger players.

Just now, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Rather have jagr then hemsky

Agree. But I think he'd want around $4m plus based on his reported demands (which would be a pay cut from last year).  

We should have signed Jagr instead of that bum briere like I wanted.  He would have been the perfect mentor for Galchenyuk 

1 minute ago, sim.on said:

There is a solid chance that Rad gets old in a hurry. In a year or two that might be a terrible contact.  MB is leaving the option open to sign younger players.

The only younger players he's signed/traded for are kassian, Shaw and Drouin.  Otherwise he has gone mainly for veteran washed up character (radulov was the exception).

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The only younger players he's signed/traded for are kassian, Shaw and Drouin.  Otherwise he has gone mainly for veteran washed up character (radulov was the exception).

A couple more off the top of my head, Dale Weise was 25 when he was acquired, Phillip Danault 23.  But yes, he has leaned more towards veteran players for sure.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A couple more off the top of my head, Dale Weise was 25 when he was acquired, Phillip Danault 23.  But yes, he has leaned more towards veteran players for sure.

We're Weiss and Danault really considered guys with offensive upside?  I see Kassian, Shaw as top 6 gambles and Drouin the only legitimate top 6 pickup.  Danault, Weiss and Byron were brought in for the bottom 6.

30 minutes ago, sim.on said:

Yeah...all those awesome RFAs coming up through our superb talent-development system will be due for huge pay raises in a few years :rofl::rofl:

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

To Dallas

Alex Radulov

To Montreal

Ales Hemsky

$5.5M/yr in savings toward a C

No videogame is accepting this trade.

Fixed it for you.

6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

To Dallas

Alex Radulov

To Montreal

Ales Hemsky

No videogame is accepting this trade.

Well it wasn't a trade, so really no issue there.

3 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Technically, sure.

Again, big picture:

OUT

Markov

Radulov

Sergachev

IN

Alzner

Drouin

Hemsky

It's quite true that even an EA Sports program would not accept that package. Molson could save a lot of money by firing ol' Whack-A-Mole and replacing him with AI, from the sound of it.

As for the $5.5 for a new C, sounds good in theory. Who could this new C be?