Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lazy26

Ales Hemsky signs with Montreal

Recommended Posts

nihilz    29
Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's a good point, though...in terms of signings that could actually improve the team significantly, Kovalchuk is about all that's left

 

Exactly and he's older and not going to command any crippling contract length. Hemsky slides 3RW at 1M. Shaw is a great player for a rebuilding team with young stars to influence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hab29RETIRED    161
1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

 

The asking price is there is 3 years at $6.5 M per.  That's a steep price and the Devils aren't willing to going to take a contract dump to accommodate it too.  If they couldn't afford Radulov (although it sounds like they gave him the same offer Dallas did), it's hard to think they can afford Kovalchuk at a higher salary.

 

 

Maybe.  Nobody's signing PTO deals on day 3 of free agency though.

I can't see any other team interested in a washout anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

 

Canadian NHL owners are idiots...they should have insisted for a cap adjustment to compensate for the tax climate during the CBA negotiations.  Canadian teams are at a significant disadvantage to many US teams...you have to pay a guy an extra 500k to 1 million per for his take-home pay to be equal.

 

I would add the NMC clauses are very unfair to Canadian teams, especially Winnipeg. Nobody wants to play in Winnipeg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    223
3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

The asking price is there is 3 years at $6.5 M per.  That's a steep price and the Devils aren't willing to going to take a contract dump to accommodate it too.  If they couldn't afford Radulov (although it sounds like they gave him the same offer Dallas did), it's hard to think they can afford Kovalchuk at a higher salary.

 

 

Maybe.  Nobody's signing PTO deals on day 3 of free agency though.

I get that. I just don't understand the need for a guy who played 15 games last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hab29RETIRED    161
1 minute ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

 

I would add the NMC clauses are very unfair to Canadian teams, especially Winnipeg. Nobody wants to play in Winnipeg.

Can you blame them??  I don't even want to GO Winnipeg.  Been to Regina once for work - hopefully won't have to ever go back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    651
3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I can't see any other team interested in a washout anyways.

 

Yet there are those advocating for Yakupov, who has washed out of two teams already and somehow had less goals than Hemsky did last year.  And there will be other veteran 'washout' players that sign this offseason, there always are.

 

Just now, Stogey24 said:

I get that. I just don't understand the need for a guy who played 15 games last year

 

I suspect Bergevin's approaching this as a low risk, medium reward situation.  Yes, he played 15 games due to hip surgery last season but the last three years before that, he had at least 32 points in each.  If he can do that (or close), it's decent value for secondary scoring.  (Whether that happens or not remains to be seen but I think that's the thought process here.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    12

I thought Hemsky was already retired or in KHL.

Oh well, another Semin-type signing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nihilz    29
1 minute ago, DON said:

I thought Hemsky was already retired or in KHL.

Oh well, another Semin-type signing.

 

Hemsky still has wheels. Hope he and Plek can find some chemistry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hab29RETIRED    161
13 minutes ago, nihilz said:

 

Hemsky still has wheels. Hope he and Plek can find some chemistry.

I'm  sure they will.  They will suck in unison 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nihilz    29
1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'm  sure they will.  They will suck in unison 

 

Maybe. Maybe not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather have jagr then hemsky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sim.on    26

There is a solid chance that Rad gets old in a hurry. In a year or two that might be a terrible contact.  MB is leaving the option open to sign younger players.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hab29RETIRED    161
Just now, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Rather have jagr then hemsky

Agree. But I think he'd want around $4m plus based on his reported demands (which would be a pay cut from last year).  

 

We should have signed Jagr instead of that bum briere like I wanted.  He would have been the perfect mentor for Galchenyuk 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hab29RETIRED    161
1 minute ago, sim.on said:

There is a solid chance that Rad gets old in a hurry. In a year or two that might be a terrible contact.  MB is leaving the option open to sign younger players.

 

The only younger players he's signed/traded for are kassian, Shaw and Drouin.  Otherwise he has gone mainly for veteran washed up character (radulov was the exception).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    12
Posted (edited)

Jagr for $1m would be worth it for sure.

 

Edited by DON
misread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    651
2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The only younger players he's signed/traded for are kassian, Shaw and Drouin.  Otherwise he has gone mainly for veteran washed up character (radulov was the exception).

 

A couple more off the top of my head, Dale Weise was 25 when he was acquired, Phillip Danault 23.  But yes, he has leaned more towards veteran players for sure.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hab29RETIRED    161
10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

A couple more off the top of my head, Dale Weise was 25 when he was acquired, Phillip Danault 23.  But yes, he has leaned more towards veteran players for sure.

We're Weiss and Danault really considered guys with offensive upside?  I see Kassian, Shaw as top 6 gambles and Drouin the only legitimate top 6 pickup.  Danault, Weiss and Byron were brought in for the bottom 6.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, sim.on said:

There is a solid chance that Rad gets old in a hurry. In a year or two that might be a terrible contact.  MB is leaving the option open to sign younger players.

 

 

Yeah...all those awesome RFAs coming up through our superb talent-development system will be due for huge pay raises in a few years :rofl::rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BCHabnut    147

How is Martin Reway feeling? He's about the only good prospect left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JGC21    51
2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

To Dallas

Alex Radulov

 

To Montreal

Ales Hemsky

$5.5M/yr in savings toward a C

 

No videogame is accepting this trade.

 

Fixed it for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JGC21 said:

Fixed it for you.

 

Towards a C :lol:

 

"Hello, David? It's me, Marc."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Colin    163
6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

To Dallas

Alex Radulov

 

To Montreal

Ales Hemsky

 

No videogame is accepting this trade.

 

Well it wasn't a trade, so really no issue there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colin said:

 

Well it wasn't a trade, so really no issue there.

 

Technically, sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

Technically, sure.

 

Again, big picture:

 

OUT

Markov

Radulov

Sergachev

 

IN

Alzner

Drouin

Hemsky

 

It's quite true that even an EA Sports program would not accept that package. Molson could save a lot of money by firing ol' Whack-A-Mole and replacing him with AI, from the sound of it.

 

As for the $5.5 for a new C, sounds good in theory. Who could this new C be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×