Maybe things aren't as bad as.....

REV-G

14 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

We can conclude this group doesn't have it...MB will hold on for one, and probably two more years...then a rebuild. So realistically, 2025 is the next shot? 

Unless Carey demands a trade, this team will be all in until Price falls apart.

Price came back from injury and posted a top 5 save percentage for goalies with 41+ games played. Unless he suffers the dreaded post-contract slump, he's likely going to post even better numbers next year. Montoya might play better without Therrien around. Montreal will be top three in their division for years to come. They just won't be ready for the playoffs.

When the next CBA comes around Montreal will be able to buyout some guys in amnesty buyouts and free up some money to chase a winger or two. Or spend it on an Alzner/Shaw type again. Either way the song is going to remain the same with this administration. 

Guest Stogey24

I haven't looked at his stats, but it seemed like after Therrien hung Montoya out to dry in that blowout game, Montoya never really recovered. 

4 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The talk in 2013 was that Subban and his agent wanted a deal similar to Doughty's but less in money. Something around eight years between $6 million and $6.5 million. Bergevin wanted nothing to do with it and even fought Subban on the dollars and cents of the two year bridge, stating Subban did a good job with arguing him up to the $2.8 million number. It's no coincidence that Subban returned to the Habs on the third pairing instead of the top where he was. Bergevin and Therrien did not believe he was the teams best D. They didn't think he was anywhere close to it. 

It should be reminded that Subban led the team in scoring in the playoffs every year during the Bergevin era. The one year he wasn't on the team, who stepped up? Radulov. He's gone now too.

$6m to $6.5m is exactly how much i thought we could have signed Subban to on a long term deal had we not gone the bridge route.  At the time I think Karlsson's 2nd contract would have set the upper limit for Subban and given that Karlsson has won the Norris, we should have been able to get Subban on an 8 year deal, as Karlsson's 6 year deal.

funny how galchenyuk and Subban have to go the bridge route on long drawn out negotiations, but the two guys MB trades for (Shaw and Drouin), immediately get signed for term.  I get the Drouin deal, but don't get how a grunt like Shaw got his term.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Unless Carey demands a trade, this team will be all in until Price falls apart.

Price came back from injury and posted a top 5 save percentage for goalies with 41+ games played. Unless he suffers the dreaded post-contract slump, he's likely going to post even better numbers next year. Montoya might play better without Therrien around. Montreal will be top three in their division for years to come. They just won't be ready for the playoffs.

When the next CBA comes around Montreal will be able to buyout some guys in amnesty buyouts and free up some money to chase a winger or two. Or spend it on an Alzner/Shaw type again. Either way the song is going to remain the same with this administration. 

I think it's going to be a lot of hoping for the habs to do well for the next couple of years, but more realistically, I think as you said, Price will keep them in the thick of the playoff race, but unless a couple of other big moves (positive moves), are made, I think it's going to be more of the same. You also have to factor in that both Florida teams will be a lot better next year, so we may even fall in the standings.

Guest Stogey24
1 minute ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I get the Shaw deal. Bergevin over values bottom six grinders.

And any scent of Chicago 

9 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

And any scent of Chicago 

Don't know if you've been to Chicago, but there are parts that I'm sure even a grinder like MB wouldn't like.

Guest Stogey24
47 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Don't know if you've been to Chicago, but there are parts that I'm sure even a grinder like MB wouldn't like.

As long as there are  dollar stores 

4 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I haven't looked at his stats, but it seemed like after Therrien hung Montoya out to dry in that blowout game, Montoya never really recovered. 

Pre-Columbus: 4 GP, 1.47 GAA, .955 SV%

Post-Columbus: 14 GP, 2.48 GAA, .914 SV%

Career Numbers: 155 GP, 2.60 GAA, .910 SV%

Yes, his stats are worse but at the same time, no one could have realistically expected him to keep up those types of numbers; there is a reason he had never been able to hold down a starting job.  His level of play reverted basically to his career averages.

Guest Stogey24

I seem to remember the team playing like absolute shit when ever Montoya got the start too. That Probably doesn't help his stats 

4 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I seem to remember the team playing like absolute shit when ever Montoya got the start too. That Probably doesn't help his stats either 

a common theme through the years when anyone not named Price is in goal, They seem so used to playing in front of him, that when they don't, they overthink everything in compensation. Whether they mean to or not, there is a mental "Je ne sais quoi" that takes place up and down the line up with these guys when Price is not there, and unless said Backup stands on his head, he is usually hung out to try 50% of his games.

Combined, Budaj, Condon, Scrivens, and Montoya have around a .500 W/L ratio with Montreal, and a .909SV% average between them all while playing with us. 

I wonder how much of that result falls at their feet, compared to how the guys in front of them performed away from Price.

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2017 at 5:44 PM, Link67 said:

a common theme through the years when anyone not named Price is in goal, They seem so used to playing in front of him, that when they don't, they overthink everything in compensation. Whether they mean to or not, there is a mental "Je ne sais quoi" that takes place up and down the line up with these guys when Price is not there, and unless said Backup stands on his head, he is usually hung out to try 50% of his games.

Combined, Budaj, Condon, Scrivens, and Montoya have around a .500 W/L ratio with Montreal, and a .909SV% average between them all while playing with us. 

I wonder how much of that result falls at their feet, compared to how the guys in front of them performed away from Price.

The average save percentage of a backup goalie to be expected is said to be around .910 from what I've read. Also, after about a half hour of calculations, backup goalies won 47.18% (377 wins out of 799 games) of their games last season. Albeit, some of them were 3rd string quality. 

I'm not debating the aura Price has when he's at his best, but the numbers provided don't show anything abnormal going on when it comes to the results our team has in front of our backups.

Guest Stogey24
3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

So the problem is with America itself, not Chicago :crazy:

Pew pew 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stogey24

"In just over a 365 day span the #Habs lost both Subban and Markov. At least they got something back for Subban"

I can't believe Bergevin still has supporters 

Well this team has no up and coming players ready to play full time and make a impact . If we get any injurys next season we are done.

i think this team thanks to MB has no direction, no identity and no future.

how does a GM blow up a teams core players and replace them with no one ??  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

"In just over a 365 day span the #Habs lost both Subban and Markov. At least they got something back for Subban"

I can't believe Bergevin still has supporters 

Didnt lose Subban, they shipped him out of town and many are good with that move. And Habs defense has never been one of biggest weakness, it is offense from the forward group that keeps holding them back come playoff time.

Don't you think they have enough of cap room already spent on back end and should smartly spend more up front?

10 hours ago, DON said:

Didnt lose Subban, they shipped him out of town and many are good with that move. And Habs defense has never been one of biggest weakness, it is offense from the forward group that keeps holding them back come playoff time.

Don't you think they have enough of cap room already spent on back end and should smartly spend more up front?

What they should have are quality prospects knocking on the door. We have zero, because our GM is a clown. How we can have one of the most expensive bluelines in the game and NOT ONE elite puck-mover is a mystery sufficient to make Sam Pollock puke in his grave.