Bouillon named player development coach

Habsfan1989

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Columbus thought we would take him cause everyone was saying that draft was 

Crosby

then 4 players

then everyone else

in terms of tiers... so when we took Price it was "off the board"

I thought Price was rated somewhere in the top 6 and the first 4 picks went as expected (ordering of 2-4 may have varied, but they were the players expected) and after that the rankings were something like: 

brule

stall

price

kopitar

I remember reading the Habs were interested in poulliot but didn't think he would be there at #5.

and there were quite of few players that slipped (idiot McGuire' off the reservation comment aside). And the biggest drop was Kopitar.  

I still think there there was a fix in play though, when there was confusion whether the Habs got the top pick in the lottery.

18 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

2006: fisher wasn't even rated in the first 2 rounds.  Another gamble pick early in the draft.  Reminded me about the bruins a few years back when they had 3 back to back picks and went of the board.  This was also an issue with the flames during the same time period.  They had one gamble (Morris) that paid off, but they had a lot more misses.

I wouldn't say he wasn't rated in the first two rounds.

CSB: 29th NA (that's a fairly early 2nd rounder)

THN: 25th overall

McKeens: 2nd WC after the top 30

(A lot of the old rankings lead to dead 404 pages so I couldn't look back much further but while Fischer was a bit of a reach, it's nowhere near the type of one you're claiming.  He was rated in the top two rounds, more towards the top half at that.  Still a terrible, terrible pick though in hindsight.)

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't say he wasn't rated in the first two rounds.

CSB: 29th NA (that's a fairly early 2nd rounder)

THN: 25th overall

McKeens: 2nd WC after the top 30

(A lot of the old rankings lead to dead 404 pages so I couldn't look back much further but while Fischer was a bit of a reach, it's nowhere near the type of one you're claiming.  He was rated in the top two rounds, more towards the top half at that.  Still a terrible, terrible pick though in hindsight.)

I know tan, (who covered the draft), commented on Fischer wasn't even listed in the first two rounds and they specifically has said the habs are taking a long shot (or some words to that affect) on Fischer and again going with an American dman.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I know tan, (who covered the draft), commented on Fischer wasn't even listed in the first two rounds and they specifically has said the habs are taking a long shot (or some words to that affect) on Fischer and again going with an American dman.

Who's tan?  Yes, some (lots of?) teams had him ranked lower than Montreal did...which is the case with practically every drafted prospect around the league.  Even they knew they were taking a bit of a flyer considering they traded down but again, there were multiple rankings that had him firmly in the 2nd if not the 1st.  One person's rankings may have had him outside the top-60 but clearly not all the scouts saw it the way that this tan person did.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Who's tan?  

I'm going to say TSN, on the authority of making this autocorrect mistake every day trying to look up TSN690 while driving. The search pulls up a gaggle of trigonometry sites...each one probably better at development than Marc Bergevin's reenactment of a player development "Romper Room."

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Who's tan?  Yes, some (lots of?) teams had him ranked lower than Montreal did...which is the case with practically every drafted prospect around the league.  Even they knew they were taking a bit of a flyer considering they traded down but again, there were multiple rankings that had him firmly in the 2nd if not the 1st.  One person's rankings may have had him outside the top-60 but clearly not all the scouts saw it the way that this tan person did.

Sorry.  Dman auto-correct.  TSN.  I remember at the time when the pick was made the general commentary was that it wa out of left field, and a lot of the comments were similar to what I heard when the flames picked Morris (which worked out much better).  

53 minutes ago, Commandant said:

TSN also thought Price was a guy taken too high, so I don't know what that means. 

From what I recall Price was supposed to be among the top 5 or 7 players and it was the clown McGuire who tried to be clever with the "off the reservation comment".  

there's a a difference between taking a guy 3 to 5 spots ahead of where they are rated and 20 or 30 spots ahead of where they are rated.

in some cases its hurt teams to let players slide 5 to 10 spots (i.e. Forsburg and Fowler), in other situations teams have dodged a bullet (Angelo Esposito, grigerenko-so far), but when you select a guy in the first round 20 to 40 picks early, you are really off on your evaluations from most other teams and are probably going for a Hail Mary.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

From what I recall Price was supposed to be among the top 5 or 7 players and it was the clown McGuire who tried to be clever with the "off the reservation comment".  

there's a a difference between taking a guy 3 to 5 spots ahead of where they are rated and 20 or 30 spots ahead of where they are rated.

in some cases its hurt teams to let players slide 5 to 10 spots (i.e. Forsburg and Fowler), in other situations teams have dodged a bullet (Angelo Esposito, grigerenko-so far), but when you select a guy in the first round 20 to 40 picks early, you are really off on your evaluations from most other teams and are probably going for a Hail Mary.

ISS had him at 10

and five spots in the top 10 is huge.....  its just as big a difference as 20 spots at the end of the first round. 

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

ISS had him at 10

and five spots in the top 10 is huge.....  its just as big a difference as 20 spots at the end of the first round. 

I don't know where he was ranked, all I remember is they said it he was picked early and they made another US defencmen (following komisirik and Hainsey).  My reaction at the time was that we need more scoring.

sorry, just noticed you were referring to Price not Fischer (can't believe he'd be even close to that high).  Yeah, if I remember correctly from the TSN show they had kopitar around 7 and that was who I had wanted.  If I recall, they actually had Price ahead of that.  Like I said earlier, price turned out to be the best goalie of his generation, but i just hate taking a goalie that high.  What McGuire said did it jive with the other guys on the show.

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don't know where he was ranked, all I remember is they said it he was picked early and they made another US defencmen (following komisirik and Hainsey).  My reaction at the time was that we need more scoring.

sorry, just noticed you were referring to Price not Fischer (can't believe he'd be even close to that high).  Yeah, if I remember correctly from the TSN show they had kopitar around 7 and that was who I had wanted.  If I recall, they actually had Price ahead of that.  Like I said earlier, price turned out to be the best goalie of his generation, but i just hate taking a goalie that high.  What McGuire said did it jive with the other guys on the show.

I would've hated not picking Price at this point.

there were 2 generational talents in that draft, we were lucky enough to get one, I don't care what spot we picked him in.

17 hours ago, Link67 said:

I would've hated not picking Price at this point.

there were 2 generational talents in that draft, we were lucky enough to get one, I don't care what spot we picked him in.

I got a lot of ribbing from non-Habs fans the day after that draft, all based on Mcguire's comments. 'How could the Habs pass on Brule?!?' 'What were they doing?!?'

:rolleyes:

Ever since then, I pay only casual attention to chatter around the draft. Everyone speaks with such authority, and yet it remains a bunch of informed guesses, no more.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I got a lot of ribbing from non-Habs fans the day after that draft, all based on Mcguire's comments. 'How could the Habs pass on Brule?!?' 'What were they doing?!?'

:rolleyes:

Ever since then, I pay only casual attention to chatter around the draft. Everyone speaks with such authority, and yet it remains a bunch of informed guesses, no more.

Brule 299 games 95 points. pretty impressive for a high 1st rounder. Out of the Nhl, not to return.

Now everyone should understand why I am so glad Mcguire has dick all to do with this team.

20 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Brule 299 games 95 points. pretty impressive for a high 1st rounder. Out of the Nhl, not to return.

Now everyone should understand why I am so glad Mcguire has dick all to do with this team.

While a case could be made for Kopitar (not that he's a generational player, just that a good goalie is easier to find than an elite C) at the end of the day you're right. That was the highest pick the Habs had had in years, and Gainey absolutely hit it out of the park. :thumbs_up:

On 7/5/2017 at 11:42 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This is the fundamental problem with Bergevin. We can argue over the NHL moves all we want, but the organization is rotting from within.

Always liked Beef Bouillon, and if he can instill the kind of determination and mental toughness that allowed him to carve out a long career despite his stature and limitations as a player, everyone will be better for it.

Cubists unite!!!

• Upvote 2