Galchenyuk signed

DON

I wanted a long term deal for the kid, but just glad he is under contract...now just one more big deal to focus on.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

I wanted a long term deal for the kid, but just glad he is under contract...now just one more big deal to focus on.

Yeah I wanted 5 years but 4.9 is a good number. If he wants more PUT YOUR WORK BOOTS ON.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

Not too bad, 

I hope CJ gives him a real shot at center. 

Hard to follow who thinks what on him playing center or wing. 

He has to be at center. I said so.

• Upvote 1

I hate thee term.  I would have preferred a long term deal in the $6.5m range.  Won't this deal will make him a UFA?

I'm hoping MB at least tried to get him signed to a long term deal and didn't just sign him ST because he's runout of other options and wasn't able to trade him.

I dislike the contract, sending a player to free agency early and buying no years of Free agency during a contract he is poised to really breakout during is not something you want to be doing.

that said, i'm not having the wool pulled over my eyes, this signing looks very suspiciously like a ploy to raise Galchenyuk's value on the market. Now not only is he a young player with promise, he also has no uncertain future about him. He is locked up 3 years, and he is now at a very attractive and workable cap hit.

Though this contract poses some serious problems in 3 years, I am nearly convinced it won't be our problem, we may hold on to him until the right deal is offered, but I will be pretty surprised if he makes it to next summer as a Hab. Sad as that may be, you can't logically sign a player to this kind of deal if you have any long term plans with him. He better fetch a return that fills a team need without a doubt, this is definitely not a situation we can afford to mismanage.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I hate thee term.  I would have preferred a long term deal in the $6.5m range.  Won't this deal will make him a UFA?

It will make him a UFA.  This is basically a second bridge deal - they buy out one UFA year and then will see if he can take the next step over the next three seasons.  Not everyone thinks he has another gear in him and this is probably a sign that the Habs are a bit skeptical themselves about whether he can be a 70+ point player.  If they were sure about it, I suspect they'd have been okay going long-term at that range.

• Upvote 1

I hate the deal, but than Ive been saying that MB will move hin at some point anyways - I just hope he gets fired before he gets the chance.

• Upvote 2

Great value for Chuck. 

I feel like there was at least some discussion about whether or not Galchenyuk will be messed around with or if the team will finally be confident in him. No more freaking out on every defensive mistake. Treat him the same way you treat everyone else. Top six forwards belong in the top six. 

Montreal is lucky no GM has any spine. He was ripe for an offer sheet. Will be interesting to see if he's treated any differently from Drouin. 

• Upvote 1

With Rad gone, Chucky has to be a top 6 player.

Still think something needs to happen to add a top 6 centre.

Right now I'd guess..

Pacs - Drouin - Chuck

Lehk - Danault - Gallagher 

25 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Right now I'd guess..

Pacs - Drouin - Chuck

Although I like Chucky on the right, we haven't seen a coach slot him there yet. Not sure we'll start seeing it now, even if it would be best.

I'm happy we signed him period. I can see the worry about his future but we have him next season and that's a good thing for us. I don't like being hard on our squad but this is the best I've felt about any news this off season.

12 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I think 4.9 is damn good value. 

I predicted 5-5.25 mil a few weeks ago but the term was longer. I still expected him to sign for around 5.5-6 mil though based on everything that was said about him and his arbitration powers so it is a nice price. 

It really is a mixed bag because I agree that 4.9 is great value right now but it's easy to envision him really having a great year within the next 3 years and getting paid for it at the end of the contract. Drouin's contract will look nice comparatively at that point in time. It also is true that it looks like they signed him to an enticing contract when it comes to increasing his trade value so there's always going to be some pressure and uncertainty surrounding the kid.

3 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Right now I'd guess..

Pacs - Drouin - Chuck

I think Hemsky is in the top 6 when healthy...I think Jagr would be a nice fit at this point.  Sure it's cobbling together some older talent on short term deals but I think he'd be a nice asset this year.  I'd like to see:

Pacs-Drouin-Jagr

Lehkonen-Chuck-Hemsky

Byron-Danault-Gallagher

trade Pleks for a little more cap relief and sign Markov.  Next year use Jagr's and Hemsky's money from this year, and the Pleks savings, and make a big run at Tavares.

44 minutes ago, Zowpeb said:

I think Hemsky is in the top 6 when healthy...I think Jagr would be a nice fit at this point.  Sure it's cobbling together some older talent on short term deals but I think he'd be a nice asset this year.  I'd like to see:

Pacs-Drouin-Jagr

Lehkonen-Chuck-Hemsky

Byron-Danault-Gallagher

trade Pleks for a little more cap relief and sign Markov.  Next year use Jagr's and Hemsky's money from this year, and the Pleks savings, and make a big run at Tavares.

Hemsky is probably going to disappoint you on the second line and I have Czech heritage and want to like him. I also think there is something to the nationality thing and that it would be fine to see Plekanec-Hemsky as a duo next season on the 3rd line. Either way, I do believe our second and third lines will be somewhat interchangeable in how we label them next year.

6 hours ago, Link67 said:

I dislike the contract, sending a player to free agency early and buying no years of Free agency during a contract he is poised to really breakout during is not something you want to be doing.

that said, i'm not having the wool pulled over my eyes, this signing looks very suspiciously like a ploy to raise Galchenyuk's value on the market. Now not only is he a young player with promise, he also has no uncertain future about him. He is locked up 3 years, and he is now at a very attractive and workable cap hit.

Though this contract poses some serious problems in 3 years, I am nearly convinced it won't be our problem, we may hold on to him until the right deal is offered, but I will be pretty surprised if he makes it to next summer as a Hab. Sad as that may be, you can't logically sign a player to this kind of deal if you have any long term plans with him. He better fetch a return that fills a team need without a doubt, this is definitely not a situation we can afford to mismanage.

I had the same feeling about this as raising his value, because the term kind of dismisses him from being a core piece you build around. I'd love if that wasn't the case, and we were simply giving the kid more time to grow into a role before going long term. I suppose at the very least it buys MB more time to find the right deal

Considering we're in a 3-year window that's a great number to have Chucky at.  It allows for the addition of another top forward.

This is reminiscent of the Kucherov deal, which is one of the best contracts in the league.