5 years from now this team will need a rebuild.. Will fans and media allow it done the right way??

Habsfan1989

13 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Waite is undoubtedly an overlooked Home Run by Bergevin Haters, it is easily his best Hire, and arguably the best singular move that contributed the most success he has made.

And along with Muller, only decent coaching move he made.  And no I don't like the julien decision. More of the same and Boucher should have been hired the year before 

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Ray Shero had a more impressive team leading up to being fired with the pens.  He was there for more than 5 years, but had not regular season success than MB.  He also made the mistake of holding on to his coach too long - which contributed to his firing. He was in his role longer than 5 years, but Bottom line, he got fired because the team want getting it done in the playoffs.

So he had a better team with higher expectations and got fired....and?

12 minutes ago, illWill said:

So he had a better team with higher expectations and got fired....and?

We had a team that finished first and got knocked out in the first round and .... for some reason some are good with that.  I guess it's easy to keep your job when people are good wit a good regular season followed by a first round exit.

To top it off the issues why we got knocked are the same issues when he started from his job.

55 minutes ago, Link67 said:

2012-13: 1st in their Division(63 pts) || Goals For 3rd of 30 || Goals Against 13th of 30 || Playoffs: 1st Round

2013-14: 3rd in the Division(100 pts) || Goals For 21st of 30 || Goals Against 6th of 30 || Playoffs: Conference Final

2014-15: 1st in the Division(110 pts) || Goals for 18th of 30 || Goals Against 1st of 30 || Playoffs: 2nd Round

2015 -16: 6th in the Divison(82 pts) || Goals for 16th of 30 || Goals Against 21st of 30 || Playoffs: None

2016-17: 1st in the Division(103 pts) || Goals For 15th of 30 || Goals Against 3rd of 30 || Playoffs: 1st Round

Does that look like a 5 year resume worthy of a firing to you? If you were in the GM chair, and this was your results of the past 5 years, would you be ok with being fired? or would you find it unfair to not be given a chance to continue to build a successful team that could break into contendership status in the near future.

So to answer your question, in my opinion, he would need to do much worse than winning 3 division titles, three 100 point seasons, and a conference final on his resume. And i'd Challenge anyone to find me a GM who has recently been fired with similar results in his seasons leading up to his Firing. You guys just sound like a bunch of squabbling Seagulls at times, calling for someone's head just for the sake of change without any real merit, pitch forks in the air, predicting doomsday fall offs in the coming days. And you keepseeing the same whining and grumbling behind the reasoning "Oh but he traded away my favorite player! Get rid of him he'll never get another damn thing right!", "Why can't he just build a winner in a few years like everyone else does, GOD!", "We have been stuck at pretty good team status for a few years why can't we take the next step, it seems so easy for every other team in the league!". Is it starting to sound as ridiculous to you guys as it does to me?

His resume is far from perfect, it has its mistakes, but it certainly boasts enough positive results to allow him to continue trying build what he is building, and until those results start turning ugly, I'm not lighting the guy on fire. That doesn't make me Bergevin fan boy, it simply means, when I look at that resume at first glance, the thought of this GM should be fired does not cross my mind, and it shouldn't to anyone looking at it through reasonable eyes. He isn't all doom and gloom, or about as sharp as a bowling ball, he is also not flawless by any means. But somewhere in the middle of all that nonsense, lies his true abilities, his true evaluation, and it doesn't scream Fire Him to me.

You're on Contrarian's Island. I can't even discern a point you're trying to make now besides the presence of a persecutory miasma in the fanbase disguising Bergevin's wondrous record of mediocrity. Your points otherwise have been thoroughly refuted. Fans are not impressed with 5-10th place teams out of 30. Especially with the parity in the the league.

I think 5 years is enough. If we have to see this team really shit tank hard, he'll be gone at the end of 2019 . I'm not even sure this is a playoff team next year. Jo Drouin and a Pocket Full of Dreams. 

24 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We had a team that finished first and got knocked out in the first round and .... for some reason some are good with that.  I guess it's easy to keep your job when people are good wit a good regular season followed by a first round exit.

To top it off the issues why we got knocked are the same issues when he started from his job.

"Good with that" is much different than losing to a tough team 1 point in dfference in the standings. That series could have went either way. And then we would have got Ottawa, which would have been a good battle as well that would have been slightly in our favour. Then we are possibly in the conference finals...see how different the narrative would be? 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

You're on Contrarian's Island. I can't even discern a point you're trying to make now besides the presence of a persecutory miasma in the fanbase disguising Bergevin's wondrous record of mediocrity. Your points otherwise have been thoroughly refuted. Fans are not impressed with 5-10th place teams out of 30. Especially with the parity in the the league.

I think 5 years is enough. If we have to see this team really shit tank hard, he'll be gone at the end of 2019 . I'm not even sure this is a playoff team next year. Jo Drouin and a Pocket Full of Dreams. 

you can't discern the point i'm trying to make?????

I thought it was pretty obvious, Bergevin has not had poor enough results to warrant a Firing, how many more ways did I need to show it in that post.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We had a team that finished 4th, and had to play a team with one less point than them in the 1st round, it was anyone's series. the only reason people were predicting us to win so much was because of Lundqvists poor stats against Montreal, and the fact we swept them during the season. Fact still remains these are 2 teams who have been roughly at the same stage for a few seasons now, who were neck and neck all season, and ended up having a closely contested Series that was ultimately determined by a 3 goal differential.

During any stretch of the season where Price has a .937SV% we 9 times out of 10 do better than a 2 - 4 record during that span. 

Yeah...Round One was a 'close' series (6 games, hmmm)...if we'd won maybe we could have beaten Ottawa...then maybe beat whomever we play in the Conference Finals...then maybe beat Nashville for the Cup. So, really, it's almost like we really did win the Cup, right? :rolleyes: Why, we were only 14 wins away. Let's get that banner in the rafters!

In 2015, we lost to TB in Round Two. Somehow we did better with Locker Room Cancer and High Risk Defender Subban than we did with Dear Leader Weber, but never mind that now - the point is that that series looked EXACTLY like the Rags series in 2017. Close games. Supposedly a hot opposition goalie. Popgun offence that just couldn't deliver in the crunch. Lots of muttering afterwards about 'puck luck' and the series being 'close.' Fool me twice...

Close only cuts it when you're shaving. This team simply wasn't good enough in 2015, it wasn't good enough last year, and there is no particular reason to believe it will be good enough in 2018 either. By contrast, our closest conference analogues (TB and NYR) have each been to the Finals as we've played Whack-A-Mole and made endless excuses for not being good enough.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scott462 said:

Nashville just wasn't good enough either. What a shame, bunch of Whack-A-Moles I tell ya!

What does that mean?

46 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah...Round One was a 'close' series (6 games, hmmm)...if we'd won maybe we could have beaten Ottawa...then maybe beat whomever we play in the Conference Finals...then maybe beat Nashville for the Cup. So, really, it's almost like we really did win the Cup, right? :rolleyes: Why, we were only 14 wins away. Let's get that banner in the rafters!

In 2015, we lost to TB in Round Two. Somehow we did better with Locker Room Cancer and High Risk Defender Subban than we did with Dear Leader Weber, but never mind that now - the point is that that series looked EXACTLY like the Rags series in 2017. Close games. Supposedly a hot opposition goalie. Popgun offence that just couldn't deliver in the crunch. Lots of muttering afterwards about 'puck luck' and the series being 'close.' Fool me twice...

Close only cuts it when you're shaving. This team simply wasn't good enough in 2015, it wasn't good enough last year, and there is no particular reason to believe it will be good enough in 2018 either. By contrast, our closest conference analogues (TB and NYR) have each been to the Finals as we've played Whack-A-Mole and made endless excuses for not being good enough.

Gotta get those jabs in on Weber every time, even though he had a real good season, finished 6th in Norris Voting. Damn us all for even having such a player in our Ranks. Our elimination rests solely at his feet! The heavens would have parted and started pissing Stanley Cups if only we still had our Starchild around instead of the useless old Leader.

By your Logic Tampa and New York were also not good enough then, one didn't make the finals again and the other didn't even make the playoffs, are they on the decline? can we get any doomsday prophecies for them?. Perhaps they should tear it all down and start over? Or are they simply competitive teams still trying to take the next step? having the typical ups and downs while trying to get there? Decisions, Decisions..

You realize Pittsburgh was having a rollercoaster ride of disappointing playoffs exits year after year before suddenly pinging off back to back cups? You think every team that starts winning cups goes to a few cup finals first? Is that your make believe benchmark? Let me put things in very stark contrast for you. Chicago preceded one of their cups with 2 straight 1st round exits, L.A Kings preceded their first cup with back to back 1st round exits. In Pittsburgh a 2nd round exit and a 1st round exit preceded their back to back cup wins. Do you see how little more than a trophy wife going to a cup final is? Do you see yet that it is indeed true, all you have to do is get into the playoffs with the right tools, and anything can happen. We have a world class Goalie, who is capable of getting hot at the right time, Just ask Nashville what that feels like, and ask yourself if they still make a cup final with a Pekka Rinne boasting anything less than a .920SV%. 

So yes IllWill is right, the narrative could have been very different if Price kept going with his SV%, and we found a way to bury 1 or 2 extra goals, and all we had to do was get in. Whether you make it 1 round or 3 rounds, it doesn't matter ultimately you all end up in the same spot, "Better luck Next year". and in the case of every cup winner I mentioned, that is exactly what happened to them, following an early exit much like our own. That is how much stock you can put into your "Cup Final or Bust" theory, nothing more than a make believe measuring stick used to beat the dead horse you've been beating for months

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DON said:

Pacioretty, Price, Shaw, Petry, Gallagher, Subban, Alzner dont count?

I was thinking more his best trade and free agent signings a la Vanek and Radulov. Shaw brings a mixed bag of emotions. Alzner counts but I wasn't personally high on the signing, although he was the best available. Petry, I'll give you. 

23 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Gotta get those jabs in on Weber every time, even though he had a real good season, finished 6th in Norris Voting. Damn us all for even having such a player in our Ranks. Our elimination rests solely at his feet! The heavens would have parted and started pissing Stanley Cups if only we still had our Starchild around instead of the useless old Leader.

By your Logic Tampa and New York were also not good enough then, one didn't make the finals again and the other didn't even make the playoffs, are they on the decline? can we get any doomsday prophecies for them?. Perhaps they should tear it all down and start over? Or are they simply competitive teams still trying to take the next step? having the typical ups and downs while trying to get there? Decisions, Decisions..

You realize Pittsburgh was having a rollercoaster ride of disappointing playoffs exits year after year before suddenly pinging off back to back cups? You think every team that starts winning cups goes to a few cup finals first? Is that your make believe benchmark? Let me put things in very stark contrast for you. Chicago preceded one of their cups with 2 straight 1st round exits, L.A Kings preceded their first cup with back to back 1st round exits. In Pittsburgh a 2nd round exit and a 1st round exit preceded their back to back cup wins. Do you see how little more than a trophy wife going to a cup final is? Do you see yet that it is indeed true, all you have to do is get into the playoffs with the right tools, and anything can happen. We have a world class Goalie, who is capable of getting hot at the right time, Just ask Nashville what that feels like, and ask yourself if they still make a cup final with a Pekka Rinne boasting anything less than a .920SV%. 

So yes IllWill is right, the narrative could have been very different if Price kept going with his SV%, and we found a way to bury 1 or 2 extra goals, and all we had to do was get in. Whether you make it 1 round or 3 rounds, it doesn't matter ultimately you all end up in the same spot, "Better luck Next year". and in the case of every cup winner I mentioned, that is exactly what happened to them, following an early exit much like our own. That is how much stock you can put into your "Cup Final or Bust" theory, nothing more than a make believe measuring stick used to beat the dead horse you've been beating for months

My claim is simply that this team has not been good enough and, in all probability, still is not good enough. To you, not good enough is fine. To me, it's not. Therein lies the disagreement. And no, just making the Finals is not the goal, but it's a whole crapload better than the garbage playoff results that you keep celebrating as super awesome feats of general managerial genius.

Not one single time have I ever slagged Weber. What I slag is the mentality that uses the canard of 'leadership' as an all-purpose justification for a trade that shortened our Cup window for what was at the very best a lateral move. When I crack wise about 'Dear Leader,' it's a shot at that foolishness, not at Weber himself, who is indeed a very good hockey player.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My claim is simply that this team has not been good enough and, in all probability, still is not good enough. To you, not good enough is fine. To me, it's not. Therein lies the disagreement. And no, just making the Finals is not the goal, but it's a whole crapload better than the garbage playoff results that you keep celebrating as super awesome feats of general managerial genius.

Not one single time have I ever slagged Weber. What I slag is the mentality that uses the canard of 'leadership' as an all-purpose justification for a trade that shortened our Cup window for what was at the very best a lateral move. When I crack wise about 'Dear Leader,' it's a shot at that foolishness, not at Weber himself, who is indeed a very good hockey player.

Its not fine, I'd rather go deeper than the 1st round obviously, but I can also be realistic enough to see, based on the examples I showed, that it could just be part of growing pains, growing pains that leave no one unscathed. Growing into a contender who can win championships is often a painful process, but a process it is. I will not succumb to panic after a 1st round exit, much like it would have been foolish for the fanbases of the teams I did present in my previous post to have done. Only to see in the end their team turned a corner under the right set of circumstances, and won a cup.

Call it what you may, but I call it patient optimism for a better result in the future, not some foolish acceptance that we will never win anything but thats ok cause at least we make the playoffs. I assure you my attitude about all this was very different before we had an elite goalie to bank on, And as  long as he is in his Prime, I will remain hopeful.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Link67 said:

Waite is undoubtedly an overlooked Home Run by Bergevin Haters, it is easily his best Hire, and arguably the best singular move that contributed the most success he has made.

The heck are you talking about? He was already brought up in this thread. 

On 7/14/2017 at 6:29 PM, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He was damn good in 2011. But yes Waite was a great hire. As was Christer Rockstrom.

You do realize talking about management hires is a terrible idea when trying to defend Bergevin right? Pretty much every other hire was awful. I liked the hiring of Kirk Muller but it doesn't seem to have changed much. I liked Ramsey and he ended up the only guy let go after the 2016 disaster. Ramage, Lapointe, Churla, Brisebois, Lefebvre, Burke, Mellanby, all trash. He has also kept Timmins long after his expiry date and even gave him a raise. Heck almost forgot Therrien, JJ, and Dan The Man.  

Nobody has a problem bringing up the good hires because you can count them on one hand. You need both hands to count the bad hires.

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

These are the fruits of the participation generation; even middling results in something as explicitly objective as sports are supposed to be measured against excuses like "the goal is to make the playoffs," and "centers are not available."

What people forget is that in areas where MB hasn't been gifted players or met adversity he's failed. He taneed 2015-2016 when all he needed was a competent backup goalie to stay in the race. I think with their start they needed .500 hockey to stay in first place. Not sure...but his answer was Ben Scrivens for Zack Kassian in a move that was quick, dirty, and ineffective. He inherited a center corp that was pretty good, I would give it a B-, with DD, Plekanec, Eller and Galchenyuk waiting in the wings. Now we have Danault, Plekanec--who might get 20 points next year for all we know--, Torrey Mitchell, and questood marks. Bergevin again fails to upgrade the center depth. His draft and development record speaks for itself, and he's been less than proactive in fixing the deficiencies.

We're in the same holding pattern as we were with Therrien. There's no vision, no real future, and the team is going to be like watching paint dry.

But yeah, Shea Weber was 6th in Norris voting and we've really beaten up on OTT/TOR/BOS over the years.

• Upvote 2

We all knew what the Habs #1 problem was when Bergevin took over.  Lets look at how that #1 problem has been addressed.

Inherited Centre Depth 2012

Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller

2013-14 Centre Depth

2014-15 Centre Depth

2015-16 Centre Depth
Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller (start of season)
Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Desharnais, (end of season)

2016-17 Centre Depth

Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Desharnais (start of season)
Danault, Plekanec, Shaw (Playoff Series against New York)

And now?  WHo the #### knows?

This is the indictment of Bergevin.  Fix the problem already. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

These are the fruits of the participation generation; even middling results in something as explicitly objective as sports are supposed to be measured against excuses like "the goal is to make the playoffs," and "centers are not available."

What people forget is that in areas where MB hasn't been gifted players or met adversity he's failed. He taneed 2015-2016 when all he needed was a competent backup goalie to stay in the race. I think with their start they needed .500 hockey to stay in first place. Not sure...but his answer was Ben Scrivens for Zack Kassian in a move that was quick, dirty, and ineffective. He inherited a center corp that was pretty good, I would give it a B-, with DD, Plekanec, Eller and Galchenyuk waiting in the wings. Now we have Danault, Plekanec--who might get 20 points next year for all we know--, Torrey Mitchell, and questood marks. Bergevin again fails to upgrade the center depth. His draft and development record speaks for itself, and he's been less than proactive in fixing the deficiencies.

We're in the same holding pattern as we were with Therrien. There's no vision, no real future, and the team is going to be like watching paint dry.

But yeah, Shea Weber was 6th in Norris voting and we've really beaten up on OTT/TOR/BOS over the years.

And guess what happened with Therrien...

The people that support Bergevin, are the same ones that supported Therrien...and look what happened to the latter.

It's the reason I try and bite my tongue on this topic. Time will tell. 

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

All this "Leader Weber" stuff is old and is so annoying! This talk is spun by "us" the fans and Toronto sports media. Subban as a hab was portrayed as a villian, a high risk high reward individual hockey player who was a defensive liability. Post trade Toronto sports media spin it as the biggest heist by Nashville and oh how we have been burned. What a 360 by the media and fans. All off a sudden he's the best player in hockey. The real Truth is MB thought of Weber as

-more stable on the ice and off it

-He scores more goals

-makes less high risk plays

-more efficient on the PP

-he's bigger and stronger.

These are the reasons for the trade! All that other noise about leadership and problem in the room is just that, noise coming from fans, because even the players themselves like Subban from The General to Galchenyuk. (I still believe that off the ice one big reason for subban getting moved is how he handled the hospital pledge)

outside of that MB  clearly believes the team is best moving forward with price/ weber rather then price/ subban...

On on the flip side Subban is now the 3rd defensman on the 2nd PP unit as he was  all year/ playoffs in Nashville. He  is not the #1D on the ice (arguably the 3D or 1 of 4) on a super deep line up. And that's ok to. He's a great player  and even better entertainer...

As for Montreal improving and taking the next step? until the next draft pick steps up to the plate and plays a major role like pacioretty, price, galchenyuk, subban etc. from within the program... we will continue to tread water and not take the Next step. We've hit an unlucky bump in the road of drafting and developing at one of the worst times as we really do have some good pieces of a core. Now landing Drouin and previously Danault as well as retaining radulov would of been another step forward,  but in the end we were playing with house cards with radulov! now maybe Lehkonan can turn into a 30 goal man and we can finAlly have added another key piece from within. Something MB has preached from day one

-build from the back

-build from within

-low risk moves that don't mortgage the future until youth can step up!

Win at the draft table and we will take that next step is all!!!

32 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We all knew what the Habs #1 problem was when Bergevin took over.  Lets look at how that #1 problem has been addressed.

Inherited Centre Depth 2012

2013-14 Centre Depth

2014-15 Centre Depth

2015-16 Centre Depth
Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller (start of season)
Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Desharnais, (end of season)

2016-17 Centre Depth

Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Desharnais (start of season)
Danault, Plekanec, Shaw (Playoff Series against New York)

And now?  WHo the #### knows?

This is the indictment of Bergevin.  Fix the problem already. 

Golly gee, sounds so easy. A team that's just one problem from a cup winner or...best team ever perhaps, sweet!

1 hour ago, DON said:

Golly gee, sounds so easy. A team that's just one problem from a cup winner or...best team ever perhaps, sweet!

Where did i say that?

I said it was the Biggest problem, and has not been addressed. 

You like to put words in other people's mouths when you don't have a way to refute their points.  Make it seem as if they are saying things they didn't say, "cup winner or...best team ever".  Your strawman argument doesn't play with me. 

Getting a centre would put this team closer to the group of true contenders... it doesn't guarantee a cup, but at least it gives them a much better chance than they have now.   

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

All this "Leader Weber" stuff is old and is so annoying! This talk is spun by "us" the fans and Toronto sports media. Subban as a hab was portrayed as a villian, a high risk high reward individual hockey player who was a defensive liability. Post trade Toronto sports media spin it as the biggest heist by Nashville and oh how we have been burned. What a 360 by the media and fans. All off a sudden he's the best player in hockey. The real Truth is MB thought of Weber as

-more stable on the ice and off it

-He scores more goals

-makes less high risk plays

-more efficient on the PP

-he's bigger and stronger.

These are the reasons for the trade! All that other noise about leadership and problem in the room is just that, noise coming from fans, because even the players themselves like Subban from The General to Galchenyuk. (I still believe that off the ice one big reason for subban getting moved is how he handled the hospital pledge)

outside of that MB  clearly believes the team is best moving forward with price/ weber rather then price/ subban...

On on the flip side Subban is now the 3rd defensman on the 2nd PP unit as he was  all year/ playoffs in Nashville. He  is not the #1D on the ice (arguably the 3D or 1 of 4) on a super deep line up. And that's ok to. He's a great player  and even better entertainer...

As for Montreal improving and taking the next step? until the next draft pick steps up to the plate and plays a major role like pacioretty, price, galchenyuk, subban etc. from within the program... we will continue to tread water and not take the Next step. We've hit an unlucky bump in the road of drafting and developing at one of the worst times as we really do have some good pieces of a core. Now landing Drouin and previously Danault as well as retaining radulov would of been another step forward,  but in the end we were playing with house cards with radulov! now maybe Lehkonan can turn into a 30 goal man and we can finAlly have added another key piece from within. Something MB has preached from day one

-build from the back

-build from within

-low risk moves that don't mortgage the future until youth can step up!

Win at the draft table and we will take that next step is all!!!

The "noise" about leadership comes from MB, when he acquired Weber. It was one of the big strengths he cited when he made the trade and those comments came after his post season conference citing poor/lack of leadership as being one of the reasons for the habs collapse.  Than after making the deal and raving about Weber's leadership after the disappointing playoffs this year, MB again cited leadership as an issue, and said the team was fragile.  This after trading for Weber and citing the great leadership he would bring, as well as overpaying Shaw for the great leadership Shaw would bring.  

If if you find the leader stuff old and boring, maybe you should write a letter to MB to stop using it as an excuse for losing every year.

As as far as Subban being the #3 Dman in nashville, you do realize he either led or was #2 in ice time for most of the games during a he playoffs and the undependable, unreliable, poor defensive player was used to shutdown the other team's top lines - something Weber was unable to do in previous years against the same teams.