If you were a player would you sign a 8 year contract??

Habsfan1989

I was just thinking about why would a player take a 8 year deal? A lot can happen in 8 years. Plus players could be making more then you if rev goes up. I think the max I would take for I was a player would be 5 years. If the team doesn't comment to winning then I still have options, if rev goes up I can cash in and make more.

whats your take? Do you take the full max and the money? Or do you give yourself an out and only take 5 years.

A slightly hard concept to wrap my mind around, but most player take long deals for the security. Think about how many career ending injuries happen. Pronger made BANK while shelved for years. 

I absolutely would sign an 8 year for that reason. I get concussed, I still make cash on LTIR.

I become a UFA as soon as possible and become a mercenary, signing one and two year deals with the best NHL teams.

*remembers that you can get hurt at any point and have to find a new career, and being Canadian that means it's unlikely I went to college. And that injury could be a concussion, which rattles my brain and makes it hard for me to do a lot of normal things*

Eight year deal, signing bonus for most of it.

I think they factor in way too many intangibles to even guess. The two likely would offer/accept higher rate for shorter team and vice versa, so again it simply depends on circumstances or particulars. 

• Upvote 1