Habs sign Mark Streit, 1 year, $700,000

Commandant

http://www.tsn.ca/habs-sign-d-streit-to-one-year-deal-1.813160

Enough said.. UNBELIEVABLE 

Markov should just go out and say back to BERGEVIN

" if you want loyalty go and got a dog " wow

What is happening to this organization. You take care of your own backyard and leadership is from top down.

For the first time in my life ..I am saying I have more confidence in the Maple leafs leadership group than the HABS clowns.. Wow I didn't think I could ever say that.

Just mind blowing how far down this team has come.

A simple class act of reciprocation to sign Markov..

Wow

• Upvote 2

I mean the cost is relatively nothing so there can't be too many complaints but it's just confusing.

The question becomes what is with all of this depth? Weber, Alzner, Petry, Schlemko, Benn, Davidson, Jerabek, Morrow, and now Streit. There isn't room for 9 on the roster. 

Almost a certainty in my mind that Markov isn't coming back as he would bring that number to 10. The problem is he is the only one that can play in the top 4 outside of Weber, Alzner, and Petry.

Alzner - Weber

Schlemko - Petry

Davidson - Benn

Streit - Morrow

Jerabek 

I could see Morrow and Jerabek going to the AHL while Streit just stays in the press box. If Jerabek makes it the team would carry eight D until they move someone (probably the always forgotten Davidson.) Looks like a complete D to me though.

Guest Stogey24
2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Alzner - Weber

Schlemko - Petry

Davidson - Benn

Streit - Morrow

Jerabek 

I could see Morrow and Jerabek going to the AHL while Streit just stays in the press box. If Jerabek makes it the team would carry eight D until they move someone (probably the always forgotten Davidson.) Looks like a complete D to me though.

Might be one the slowest d-cores in the nhl 

He had 28 points last year, he might be able to help on the third pair/powerplay.

On a one-year, $700,000 deal, he can be buried in the AHL with no cap hit if he's not performing. 

12 minutes ago, HabsWEST said:

http://www.tsn.ca/habs-sign-d-streit-to-one-year-deal-1.813160

Enough said.. UNBELIEVABLE 

Markov should just go out and say back to BERGEVIN

" if you want loyalty go and got a dog " wow

What is happening to this organization. You take care of your own backyard and leadership is from top down.

For the first time in my life ..I am saying I have more confidence in the Maple leafs leadership group than the HABS clowns.. Wow I didn't think I could ever say that.

Just mind blowing how far down this team has come.

A simple class act of reciprocation to sign Markov..

Wow

Holy overreaction. 

• Upvote 1

Great depth signing, but definitely no Markov replacement. I don't mind him getting some 3rd pair and 2nd PP time.

Is it safe to say that MB is done signing D, barring any trades for a C?  I can't say I'm stoked about the backend!

8 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Well heck that means he's the second best scorer on the Habs D!

Streit - Weber

Alzner - Petry 

Schlemko - Benn

:1vomit::1vomit:

That might be the single most devastating indictment of the blueline corps I've read.

That said, the signing is basically harmless. The outrage is really more over what it says about our blueline that the signing itself.

Letting Streit walk - a move supported by nearly everyone on this site at the time - was one of the biggest mistakes Bob Gainey made. His absence was a major reason the 2009 team stunk compared to its predecessor. Once Markov got hurt, we had no one else to QB the PP, and while we had all assumed Streit was an earlier iteration of Rafael Diaz, he showed himself to be a legit top-4 puck-moving defenceman.

Of course, all of that is in the past. Right now he is just a has-been hanging on. But like I say, the signing is harmless veteran depth that could, conceivably, add some puck-moving to the back end.

23 minutes ago, lazy26 said:

Great depth signing, but definitely no Markov replacement. I don't mind him getting some 3rd pair and 2nd PP time.

Is it safe to say that MB is done signing D, barring any trades for a C?  I can't say I'm stoked about the backend!

With 8.4 million in cap space.  Its more safe to say that MB isn't done than to say he is. 

Nice very low risk deal.

10 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Streit was playing hurt last year. Same with Alzner. 

That's two D with groin injury history that the team is hoping they make 100% recoveries from. At least Streit is just a one year. 

Alzner has never missed a game in his career.

Played 82, 82, 82, 82, 48, 82, 82 in last 6 yrs, so what is the injury history you are babbling about?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Nice very low risk deal.

Alzner has never missed a game in his career.

Played 82, 82, 82, 82, 48, 82, 82 in last 6 yrs, so what is the injury history you are babbling about?

He's talking about the number of injuries he had last year. Injuries that caused him to miss game 7. He talked about it in many interviews he gave after the year, including a hand injury history that sounds degenerative. Get Bergevin's wang out of your mouth, you meathead.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
4 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

He's talking about the number of injuries he had last year. Injuries that caused him to miss game 7. He talked about it in many interviews he gave after the year, including a hand injury history that sounds degenerative. Get Bergevin's wang out of your mouth, you meathead.

Did someone not post something about Alzner saying he can't even open a jar of pickles because his hands are so banged up. He has to get his wife to do it 

https://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2017/04/26/karl-alzner-admits-offseason-sports-hernia-surgery-is-still-affecting-him-ive-been-a-little-bit-slower/

Quote from Alzner:

“It’s kind of been standing still at a certain percent,” Alzner said. “There are days when I’m stiffer than other days and I can’t quite move as good, and so I have to manage the game a little differently. … I’ve never been the fastest skater, but I’ve always been a good enough skater where I can a lot of times skate myself out of trouble or catch up, if need be, and this year, I’ve been a little bit slower.

“Part of it, I’m sure, is mental just because you want to guard it a little bit. Of all years, this would be a year where I wouldn’t want that to happen because the team is good and I want to be able to help as much as I can. But at the same time, it’s hard to get over that mental hurdle.”

But this thread is about the other defenceman the Habs signed with groin issues. 

I don't mind it. The best part of it is that it does still give us a lot of room to make other moves. I know he's older now but I'm still pretty sure he's better than Davidson.

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I wouldn't go nuts. It's 700k. It's really not that terrible. 

It's another 700k that would be available to sign Markov.  I think you sign Markov/Markov replacement first, before you chip away cap space for a guy who at his stage could be a training camp invite.