Habs sign Mark Streit, 1 year, $700,000

Commandant

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Did someone not post something about Alzner saying he can't even open a jar of pickles because his hands are so banged up. He has to get his wife to do it 

Yes I think I heard of his hand injury last year, but to hint that he has injury "history" seems wrong. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It's another 700k that would be available to sign Markov.  I think you sign Markov/Markov replacement first, before you chip away cap space for a guy who at his stage could be a training camp invite.

The have $8.462 million to spend after this signing. 

Thats with 23 men on the roster. 

You can sign Markov, and send Joe Morrow, or Jerabek, or Streit to the minors, and you get their cap hit off the books.  Freeing up the same $700k.

This move prevents NOTHING. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, habs rule said:

bargain bin Mark strikes again. Cheap signing, very low risk. Another dept move. No big deal.

The biggest criticism of this move is that it is only a small help, when a bigger move is still needed. 

However, this move also does nothing to prevent the bigger move. 

• Upvote 1

Boy I can hear the pitch forks being sharpened from here..

I love how the Bergevin haters automatically assume this means HE is the designated replacement for Markov, he signed a 1 year 700k contract to come and play big minutes on the top pair and Quarterback the PP, what a failure of a signing, Bargain bin is sniffin the good stuff now....Get a god damn hold of yourselves, and stop breaking a sweat or even letting your temperature rise a degree over a freakin depth signing that means we have a veteran guy who can plug in some minutes on a 3rd pair and play some PP, and probably be in and out of the lineup like Boullion in his last hoorah.

We still have 8 mill+ to fix some of the holes on this Roster, can we stop acting like a bunch of Tirading Toddlers in a Walmart about a move that has zero bearing on whether or not we can acquire some solid help to fill those holes? 

eetv3rpzfutumblr_inline_n3cwf4US2H1sxlnj

• Upvote 3

Of course this move does not prevent MB from making another move, however it absolutely makes a Markov signing at least a little less likely. 

I'm not mad about the signing, but  I'll be upset if I don't see one more year of Marky

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

He's talking about the number of injuries he had last year. Injuries that caused him to miss game 7. He talked about it in many interviews he gave after the year, including a hand injury history that sounds degenerative. Get Bergevin's wang out of your mouth, you meathead.

That last bit is completely uncalled for, not to mention highly inappropriate.  You've been warned about this before.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

Boy I can hear the pitch forks being sharpened from here..

I love how the Bergevin haters automatically assume this means HE is the designated replacement for Markov, he signed a 1 year 700k contract to come and play big minutes on the top pair and Quarterback the PP, what a failure of a signing, Bargain bin is sniffin the good stuff now....Get a god damn hold of yourselves, and stop breaking a sweat or even letting your temperature rise a degree over a freakin depth signing that means we have a veteran guy who can plug in some minutes on a 3rd pair and play some PP, and probably be in and out of the lineup like Boullion in his last hoorah

Honestly I see him as a Nesterov replacement. 

I've even heard some have the idea that most of these signings (Streit, Hemsky, Morrow, Holland, Taormina) are actually meant for Laval to boost interest in the team and ensure it's a big success. What looks like a roster clog isn't that. All these guys will eventually be shipped to Laval to help that team.

Even if he isn't meant for the AHL, he's a seat filler in the press box. Not much else. If there's more expectation for Streit beyond "play when someone gets hurt" or "play when the team needs a PP punch", the pro scouting is dumber than we thought.

The problem you need to understand is that every decision Bergevin makes that isn't fixing the holes he watched get wider for years, is going to cause people to be restless and angry. And that's justified. Bergevin lost his "everyone be patient" after year four. Patience is over. Get this team to win a Stanley Cup or GTFO. Anything less than the Cup final is a failure.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Honestly I see him as a Nesterov replacement. 

I've even heard some have the idea that most of these signings (Streit, Hemsky, Morrow, Holland, Taormina) are actually meant for Laval to boost interest in the team and ensure it's a big success. What looks like a roster clog isn't that. All these guys will eventually be shipped to Laval to help that team.

Even if he isn't meant for the AHL, he's a seat filler in the press box. Not much else. If there's more expectation for Streit beyond "play when someone gets hurt" or "play when the team needs a PP punch", the pro scouting is dumber than we thought.

The problem you need to understand is that every decision Bergevin makes that isn't fixing the holes he watched get wider for years, is going to cause people to be restless and angry. And that's justified. Bergevin lost his "everyone be patient" after year four. Patience is over. Get this team to win a Stanley Cup or GTFO. Anything less than the Cup final is a failure.

k, but, how many Nesterov replacements do we need? Having the best #7 defenceman in the league doesn't mean that much to me when there is a giant, gaping chasm in the top 4.

And I don't know how Bergevin is going to fix that issue with the assets available without creating another hole in the lineup. Assuming he misses out on Markov, is he going to package Byron, Davidson and a 2nd (as is tradition) and get a top pairing LH D? 

I wonder how the bonuses in the contract break down - there's $300,000 in bonuses; are they games played related, for points, playoff appearance, etc?

Also, despite the fact that Streit is 39 (soon to be 40), I don't think this counts as a typical 35+ contract as it's only for one year.  The CBA calls for the 'count under all circumstances' for multi-year 35+ deals:

All Player Salary and Bonuses earned in a League Year by a Player who is in the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was signed when the Player was age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective), regardless of whether, or where, the Player is playing, except to the extent the Player is playing under his SPC in the minor leagues, in which case only the Player Salary and Bonuses in excess of $100,000 shall count towards the calculation of Actual Club Salary;

[50.2 (c)(iv)]

With or without Markov, I feel this defense is already more complete than last season. If/when Markov signs, we will be very happy. To me this just means Davidson is probably on his way out. 700K is nothing. If it were for the reported $1.5M I'd be 180 degrees in contrast.

Markov Weber

Alzner Petry

Schlemko Benn

Streit

Davidson Redmond

Jerabek Juulsen

Morrow Lerout

Taormina Parisi

Mete Bourque

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Some of those signings are likely Laval-bound (Taormina highly likely, Holland probably, Morrow...better chance now than yesterday) but Hemsky and Streit aren't heading to the minors.  I think if Streit were to be waived and sent down, he'd probably just retire (or they'd reach some sort of loan agreement with a Swiss team).

4 minutes ago, nihilz said:

With or without Markov, I feel this defense is already more complete than last season. If/when Markov signs, we will be very happy. To me this just means Davidson is probably on his way out. 700K is nothing. If it were for the reported $1.5M I'd be 180 degrees in contrast.

Davidson Redmond

Jerabek Juulsen

Morrow Lerout

Taormina Parisi

Mete Bourque

I have a hard time thinking Davidson would make it through waivers.  It wasn't all that long ago that a lot of people thought he still had upside in Edmonton.  If Markov were to return, I think he could be the odd man out but his contract is cheap enough that they'd be able to flip him in a trade.

A few other quick notes:

- Jerabek won't go to the AHL; he has a European Assignment Clause in his contract.

- Mete can't play in the AHL this year*, he's too young (* until London is eliminated from the playoffs)

- Parisi will be behind Bourque in Laval.  Frankly, Parisi will probably be behind everyone aside from the guys on minor league deals.

31 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

k, but, how many Nesterov replacements do we need? Having the best #7 defenceman in the league doesn't mean that much to me when there is a giant, gaping chasm in the top 4.

And I don't know how Bergevin is going to fix that issue with the assets available without creating another hole in the lineup. Assuming he misses out on Markov, is he going to package Byron, Davidson and a 2nd (as is tradition) and get a top pairing LH D? 

The team has too many top nine forwards at the moment. If the team is adding a defenceman or a centre, they need to move some warm bodies. Otherwise, someone like Byron or Shaw is going to play on the fourth line.

Guest Stogey24
35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Some of those signings are likely Laval-bound (Taormina highly likely, Holland probably, Morrow...better chance now than yesterday) but Hemsky and Streit aren't heading to the minors.  I think if Streit were to be waived and sent down, he'd probably just retire (or they'd reach some sort of loan agreement with a Swiss team).

I have a hard time thinking Davidson would make it through waivers.  It wasn't all that long ago that a lot of people thought he still had upside in Edmonton.  If Markov were to return, I think he could be the odd man out but his contract is cheap enough that they'd be able to flip him in a trade.

A few other quick notes:

- Jerabek won't go to the AHL; he has a European Assignment Clause in his contract.

- Mete can't play in the AHL this year*, he's too young (* until London is eliminated from the playoffs)

- Parisi will be behind Bourque in Laval.  Frankly, Parisi will probably be behind everyone aside from the guys on minor league deals.

Does jerabek have talent? 

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Does jerabek have talent? 

Czech league d-man of year...take it for what is worth, but also had good offense in his 1st year in KHL last year.

(but is 5'11'' 190lb)

Guest Stogey24
21 minutes ago, DON said:

Czech league d-man of year...take it for what is worth, but also had good offense in his 1st year in KHL last year.

(but is 5'11'' 190lb)

Well Let's hope he sticks 

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I wonder how the bonuses in the contract break down - there's $300,000 in bonuses; are they games played related, for points, playoff appearance, etc?

Also, despite the fact that Streit is 39 (soon to be 40), I don't think this counts as a typical 35+ contract as it's only for one year.  The CBA calls for the 'count under all circumstances' for multi-year 35+ deals:

[50.2 (c)(iv)]

1 year deals can be buried in the AHL. 

2+ year deals on 35+ players can not. 

AFAIK. 

34 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Also doesn't jerabek have a euro clause? It's NHL or back to Europe.

He can ask to be transferred back to Europe.  He doesn't have to. 

Usually how these things work is if a player thinks he'll only be AHL for a short time, he sticks it out.

if he thinks hes gonna be buried for a while, he asks to active the clause and go back. 

10 hours ago, JGC21 said:

I still say the defense on opening night will be:

Schlemko - Weber

Alzner - Petry

Streit - Benn

Maybe;

Weber-Alzner

Petry-Jerabek

Benn-Schlemko

Davidson, Strait, Morrow

Who ends up in Laval or sent packing?

2 hours ago, DON said:

Maybe;

Weber-Alzner

Petry-Jerabek

Benn-Schlemko

Davidson, Strait, Morrow

Who ends up in Laval or sent packing?

If Jerabek makes the team, then Morrow gets sent to Laval.

Streit will dress just because of his prowess on the PP.

It's a battle between Davidson/Morrow/Jerabek for *maybe* two spots...

Guest Stogey24

So many God damn questions marks positionally, heading into next season. 

This is not a team that's all in. 

48 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

So many God damn questions marks positionally, heading into next season. 

This is not a team that's all in. 

Cart before horse sir.

• Upvote 1