Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JoeLassister

Andrei Markov tribute thread - officially not back

Recommended Posts

JoeLassister    271

Habs Facebook feed announced that he was not coming back a few minutes ago.

 

Great Habs throughout his carreer.  Tied for 2nd in the History for points and 3rd for goals scored.  10 games short from 1000gp.

 

All the best Andrei.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meller93    121

Pretty sad he isn't retiring a Hab. We'll miss his offence from the blue line hugely this year.

 

I wonder what made the definitive decision for him not to resign? Seem a little early yet considering it not even August. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott462    54

Beat me to it hah! Good bye Markov it was a pleasure watching you all those years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zumpano21    38

This feels like a greater loss than Saku leaving.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    599

With the cap space that the Habs have, not working to get a deal done is a failure by Bergevin. 

No other way to really spin this. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sbhatt    36

This feels like a huge gut-punch....I hate Bergevin more today than I did yesterday.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

990 games. 

 

You don't leave at 990 games for any simple reason. Not even money. Doubt we will ever hear the full story. 

 

You were one of my favourites to wear the CH, General. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeLassister    271

Anyway, after that, I'm not sure if I really wanted him back.  :D

 

https://www.facebook.com/CompleteHockeyNews/videos/1289050797888447/

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habsfan1989    5

He should go join PK and emelin in Nashville 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    221

Man oh man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habsfan1989    5

So if we gave him his 2 years 6mil to keep him.....wouldn't everyone be complaining how much we over paid for him???? Just saying

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Commandant said:

With the cap space that the Habs have, not working to get a deal done is a failure by Bergevin. 

No other way to really spin this. 

 

If this is because he has some other deal in the works that will add significant salary, maybe I get it. I still wouldn't like it -- Bergevin has utterly forgotten loyalty. You should always try to sign players who want to play for you and have the ability to contribute at a reasonable price. But I'd understand it. Cap space is finite.

 

 

I just don't think we're going to see anything monumental coming down the pipe to explain not filling up the cap space.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeLassister    271

Do you guys believe that Markov is quietly retiring or is signing elsewhere ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Do you guys believe that Markov is quietly retiring or is signing elsewhere ?

 

Apparently nobody wants to give him what he's asking for the term he's asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habsfan1989    5
13 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Do you guys believe that Markov is quietly retiring or is signing elsewhere ?

If you look at today's NHL it's a young guys game. Vet players that are past 35 don't get no love from teams. I think Markov goes back home and plays in the K where he will get the money he wants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neech    82

We're screwed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    125

I knew it the minute CC started talking about retired Hall of Famers. I should have bought a Markov jersey! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Habsfan1989 said:

If you look at today's NHL it's a young guys game. Vet players that are past 35 don't get no love from teams. I think Markov goes back home and plays in the K where he will get the money he wants.

Marleau just signed a three year deal with Toronto. 

 

His price point is high but I wonder if that was on purpose. There's reports Markov hasn't met with any team and he's still working out. I don't see him retiring. Russia maybe but he's a Canadian citizen now. 

 

I get the feeling he's waiting for September. Word is that's what Jagr is doing too. Lots of teams with lots of cap space. Announcing no return to Montreal is a break up with the Habs and a clear indication he's on the market. If he signs, it's going to probably be less than what he wanted from Montreal, and it'll smell like there's more to the story. 

 

Then again that's me with a tinfoil hat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
habs rule    392

Sorry to see him go but he  is not the player he once was. I agree with Mark Down on this one. We now have a lot of cap space to bring in younger talent. I wish Andrei well and hope to hell that Mark down has a plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    221
3 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Sorry to see him go but he  is not the player he once was. I agree with Mark Down on this one. We now have a lot of cap space to bring in younger talent. I wish Andrei well and hope to hell that Mark down has a plan.

O Ya? Where's this young talent coming from 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hab29RETIRED    159
14 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Sorry to see him go but he  is not the player he once was. I agree with Mark Down on this one. We now have a lot of cap space to bring in younger talent. I wish Andrei well and hope to hell that Mark down has a plan.

You mean like another Shaw?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habsfan1989    5
14 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Marleau just signed a three year deal with Toronto. 

 

His price point is high but I wonder if that was on purpose. There's reports Markov hasn't met with any team and he's still working out. I don't see him retiring. Russia maybe but he's a Canadian citizen now. 

 

I get the feeling he's waiting for September. Word is that's what Jagr is doing too. Lots of teams with lots of cap space. Announcing no return to Montreal is a break up with the Habs and a clear indication he's on the market. If he signs, it's going to probably be less than what he wanted from Montreal, and it'll smell like there's more to the story. 

 

Then again that's me with a tinfoil hat. 

That contracts going to hurt the leafs in 2 years once they got to resign all there young rookies. He doesn't play for them on that 3rd year if you ask me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    9
1 hour ago, Habsfan1989 said:

So if we gave him his 2 years 6mil to keep him.....wouldn't everyone be complaining how much we over paid for him???? Just saying

Yes, especially given % of cap already committed to backend and need for more skill and offense up front is much more important or glaring need.

But, will miss his smarts on the ice and his non-cliché no BS answers to idiot press guys lame questions.

However, Markov is slow and not getting any quicker and even Savard let #19 walk when he refused to match McNall's offer, so shite happens even if fans want a guy to complete his career with Habs...Robinson now sees it as a big regret chasing the $$ and Markov may look back and feel the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×